The PENON official thread
Jan 30, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #7,351 of 13,888
If you can you should, especially if you don't plan to sell them down the road. The universal version is fairly compact and small for the driver configuration offered.20230122_140701.jpg20230122_140807.jpg20230122_140744.jpg

Unfortunately, fit is very subjective. With that said, going custom on an IEM I've never heard is a big risk, no matter how many impressions/reviews I've read, but it would also save time (and money) if I were to get the universal and then decide to go the custom route later on.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #7,353 of 13,888
Unfortunately, fit is very subjective. With that said, going custom on an IEM I've never heard is a big risk, no matter how many impressions/reviews I've read, but it would also save time (and money) if I were to get the universal and then decide to go the custom route later on.
Looks like you're in NYC. Maybe someone at next CanJam NyC can bring it out for you to test.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #7,354 of 13,888
0D13D59C-75C7-473C-9FA9-441299C06451.jpeg

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #7,355 of 13,888
...and Flagship sound deserve Flagship Sweets.
The best in town
IMG_E2488.JPG

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #7,356 of 13,888
I know this won't even be a consolation, but with what's revolving around the IEM multiverse :
O.T. USD6,599
U.M. USD6,499
A.J. USD5,730
V.E. USD3,960
E.A. USD3,000
All of the above, with est loaded
the Impact is the least amount in terms of cost of entry.
Now I'm giving consolation to myself, LOL :ksc75smile:
What is “est loaded”?

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #7,357 of 13,888
Remember there is value even at the supreme end of sound quality. Though normally those TOTL IEMs are $6000 and above. And to have Penon come along and offer possibly an equal sound (or better) for a lot less simply continues to show how value orientated Penon is. Where us buyers always wonder if there is a large amount of mark-up in a TOTL purchase, Penon is proving that there is by undercutting the price, yet including the sound.

And....the build quality goes along with that sound.
You must hold the record for most iem’s in your signature, wowser.

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #7,358 of 13,888
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #7,360 of 13,888
Several folks here have suggested that the Volt benefits from more current. At present using LG G8, but headphone port is getting finicky. It does a pretty decent job, but I can only seem to trick it to use line out and not high impediance mode. Periodically, I wish it had more impact. Anyway, I am looking for a replacement. I now have an iphone, so am considering qudelix 5k. Thoughts on it's ability to drive the Volt to full potential? Is there justification for getting a full DAP? I use all streaming services at this point (Spodify and Tidal), so storage is not a big factor here. I am also considering the Fiio Utws5 simply for convenience. I do not know all the technical, but realize I would be making some compromises using iphone and bluetooth. I did ask here and those that responded felt it would do well with the Volt? Same question though will they drive them to their full potential, or will there be occasions where I would find it lacking?

Long live the Volt!

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #7,361 of 13,888
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #7,362 of 13,888
Also fun seeing how close it is to the Trailli JP, and the Volt has clearly another way of being tuned. I

Interesting. Not a graphs person, but I recall that, out of the impressions I’ve seen so far, the very few people who were able to compare Traillii with Impact reckoned that it was the Impact that had more bass.

Several folks here have suggested that the Volt benefits from more current. At present using LG G8, but headphone port is getting finicky. It does a pretty decent job, but I can only seem to trick it to use line out and not high impediance mode. Periodically, I wish it had more impact. Anyway, I am looking for a replacement. I now have an iphone, so am considering qudelix 5k. Thoughts on it's ability to drive the Volt to full potential? Is there justification for getting a full DAP? I use all streaming services at this point (Spodify and Tidal), so storage is not a big factor here. I am also considering the Fiio Utws5 simply for convenience. I do not know all the technical, but realize I would be making some compromises using iphone and bluetooth. I did ask here and those that responded felt it would do well with the Volt? Same question though will they drive them to their full potential, or will there be occasions where I would find it lacking?

Long live the Volt!

What other improvements are you seeking for the Volt, specifically?

I haven't tried the Volt with the Qudelix specifically but one justification for getting a dongle or DAP is its balanced output, if it has one. In addition to more power, it would generally improve layering, separation, imaging, clarity, dynamics etc. But there are other threads where people have explained this way better than me.

At the risk of not answering your question, I have to say that in my 1.5+ years of owning the Volt, the one thing that has brought the most significant improvement to its sound is the Totem.

You mention you want more impact, and the Totem brings that in spades, along with a notable expansion in stage.

Listening to Volt + Totem on my iPhone right now just to be sure I’m not completely barmy. Sure, I’d prefer any of my DAPs any day, but I’d rather this than be without the Totem.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #7,363 of 13,888

Long live the Volt!
I own the Volt, and also some UTWS5, but they are mmcx, not 2-pin. I use the UTWS5 w/ my iBasso IT07 and really like the setup. Can't say whether Volts would suffer from 'not enough current' with them though.

I will say that Volts sound glorious out of my FiiO M15, and also from my Hugo2, although tonality moves a bit brighter from the H2. Actually,

Cowon Plenue II (optical out) ==> H2 ==> Romi BX2+ ==> Volt

might be best. Tons of details from H2, but flavored by BX2+ Class A amplification. But it's pretty awkward ergonomically. Not really enough improvement to justify the inconvenience under most circumstances if I'm moving around. And if I'm sitting I'll usually listen to one of my full-size sets.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #7,364 of 13,888
Graphs is one thing, materials used in the shell, driver and internal dampening can affect how fast a sound decays. This is something that is a factor in how we perceive 2 iem's to sound different.

But it is good to have a measurement for how prounouced the different tonal areas is, or of you know a troublesome area in the treble that you prefer to be without.

Noticed on many of the entry level IEMs lacking refinement or emotion while actually having a good measurement. This is something I bet every Penon model does well.

Interesting. Not a graphs person,

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #7,365 of 13,888
Graphs is one thing, materials used in the shell, driver and internal dampening can affect how fast a sound decays. This is something that is a factor in how we perceive 2 iem's to sound different.

But it is good to have a measurement for how prounouced the different tonal areas is, or of you know a troublesome area in the treble that you prefer to be without.

Noticed on many of the entry level IEMs lacking refinement or emotion while actually having a good measurement. This is something I bet every Penon model does well.

Yeah. pretty much why I take graphs with a fistful of salt. +1 on the Penon models, at least all the ones I have listened to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back