The PENON official thread
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #7,366 of 14,142
In my experience the difference between the using a phone and a DAP or Dongle is pretty big. Though obviously it depends on the IEM and your personal subjective needs as to what end-sound your looking for? But after using DAPs for years I was furnished the Shanling UA3 for review, and subsequently amazed at the performance. So a post like yours here needed me to express my fascination with such Dongle devices, bringing a next level of playback in comparison to a phone while still allowing streaming services to take place. Still I’ve only heard one Dongle, so this is a hardly a generalization. The DAPs and Dongle use both the extra power and stage to kind-of fill-out the audio experience. And while the UA3 would be considered slightly warmer than phone output, it wasn’t clouding any of the detail but bringing romance and realism to the tone? Still my DAPs are my regular go to, but with certain IEMs once in a while the Dongle somehow is better?
Several folks here have suggested that the Volt benefits from more current. At present using LG G8, but headphone port is getting finicky. It does a pretty decent job, but I can only seem to trick it to use line out and not high impediance mode. Periodically, I wish it had more impact. Anyway, I am looking for a replacement. I now have an iphone, so am considering qudelix 5k. Thoughts on it's ability to drive the Volt to full potential? Is there justification for getting a full DAP? I use all streaming services at this point (Spodify and Tidal), so storage is not a big factor here. I am also considering the Fiio Utws5 simply for convenience. I do not know all the technical, but realize I would be making some compromises using iphone and bluetooth. I did ask here and those that responded felt it would do well with the Volt? Same question though will they drive them to their full potential, or will there be occasions where I would find it lacking?

Long live the Volt!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #7,367 of 14,142
I'm trying to thin my IEM collection, have to make some hard choices. Just sold the Serials...now it's a showdown between the ISN EST50 and the Globes... I love the Globes they are brilliant...but the EST 50 takes it to the next level...massivly under rated IEM....

20230131_195007.jpg

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #7,369 of 14,142
Several folks here have suggested that the Volt benefits from more current. At present using LG G8, but headphone port is getting finicky. It does a pretty decent job, but I can only seem to trick it to use line out and not high impediance mode. Periodically, I wish it had more impact. Anyway, I am looking for a replacement. I now have an iphone, so am considering qudelix 5k.
per Specs, powerful enough
Thoughts on it's ability to drive the Volt to full potential? Is there justification for getting a full DAP? I use all streaming services at this point (Spodify and Tidal), so storage is not a big factor here. I am also considering the Fiio Utws5 simply for convenience.
For Streaming, iphone + a fairly powerful dac dongle will suffice. Phone on data can stream anywhere where wi-fi can be had. That can't be beat...
I do not know all the technical, but realize I would be making some compromises using iphone and bluetooth. I did ask here and those that responded felt it would do well with the Volt? Same question though will they drive them to their full potential, or will there be occasions where I would find it lacking?

Long live the Volt!
Your iphone + DC06, The Volts will sing (full potential). This is what I do...
My Fan 2 are up for sale. Also selling my Serial tho its not posted yet.
I smell Impact!

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #7,370 of 14,142
In my experience the difference between the using a phone and a DAP or Dongle is pretty big. Though obviously it depends on the IEM and your personal subjective needs as to what end-sound your looking for? But after using DAPs for years I was furnished the Shanling UA3 for review, and subsequently amazed at the performance. So a post like yours here needed me to express my fascination with such Dongle devices, bringing a next level of playback in comparison to a phone while still allowing streaming services to take place. Still I’ve only heard one Dongle, so this is a hardly a generalization. The DAPs and Dongle use both the extra power and stage to kind-of fill-out the audio experience. And while the UA3 would be considered slightly warmer than phone output, it wasn’t clouding any of the detail but bringing romance and realism to the tone? Still my DAPs are my regular go to, but with certain IEMs once in a while the Dongle somehow is better?
Hey, are using a dedicated DAP, or a phone ad your source? I've seen some UA3 reviews that it doesn't work in some Android phones - Pixel 6, Samsung S20 ?? I'm also looking for a more powerful portable USB C dac/Amp dongle. There are several between $60-110.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #7,371 of 14,142
Hey, are using a dedicated DAP, or a phone ad your source? I've seen some UA3 reviews that it doesn't work in some Android phones - Pixel 6, Samsung S20 ?? I'm also looking for a more powerful portable USB C dac/Amp dongle. There are several between $60-110.
Highly reccomend the new Truthear SHIO if you want a quite powerful dongle. Sounds great, though most around this price point do.
Uses DAC chips inside usually only in more expensive dongles

Is very silent, had problems with many noisy dongles out from the pixel 6 phone. And drives all my IEMs well, also 600ohm T1 balanced quite well.

69$ from
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...-chips-lossless-portable-dac-amplifier-dongle
PXL_20230124_115938647.jpg

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #7,373 of 14,142
I haven’t heard the Impact, but there is nothing wrong with starting at the top! Dsnuts says the Impact is like a fleshed-out Fan 2. Maybe better fitment too (than Fan 2) depending on your ears. So if you are OK with the warm subtle neutrality of the Fan 2, go for the Impact!
The Volt & Vortex is interesting...Makes me want to get a set.

Penon Impact, Serial, Fan OG, Fan2 owner. Which should I get first?

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #7,374 of 14,142
I use the UA3 with an Android phone, really for the price of it, you have nothing to lose! I use the UA3 with an Apple Air notebook, too.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #7,375 of 14,142
The Volt & Vortex is interesting...Makes me want to get a set.

Penon Impact, Serial, Fan OG, Fan2 owner. Which should I get first?
Impact I haven't tested, if you liked Volt and want a less technical but "similar" sound FAN OG.

Vortex is closer to the FAN 2, mere neutral approach with very good technicalities on FAN2.

And Serial my Treasure. Musical, engaging and fun, takes a step back on technicalities if that's something you prefer.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #7,376 of 14,142
Impact I haven't tested, if you liked Volt and want a less technical but "similar" sound FAN OG.

Vortex is closer to the FAN 2, mere neutral approach with very good technicalities on FAN2.

And Serial my Treasure. Musical, engaging and fun, takes a step back on technicalities if that's something you prefer.
Totally agree with your Vortex Fan 2 comparisons.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #7,377 of 14,142
Highly reccomend the new Truthear SHIO if you want a quite powerful dongle. Sounds great, though most around this price point do.
Uses DAC chips inside usually only in more expensive dongles

Is very silent, had problems with many noisy dongles out from the pixel 6 phone. And drives all my IEMs well, also 600ohm T1 balanced quite well.

69$ from
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...-chips-lossless-portable-dac-amplifier-dongle
PXL_20230124_115938647.jpg
Ok, thx for the suggestion. I like small!

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #7,378 of 14,142
I haven’t heard the Impact, but there is nothing wrong with starting at the top! Dsnuts says the Impact is like a fleshed-out Fan 2. Maybe better fitment too (than Fan 2) depending on your ears. So if you are OK with the warm subtle neutrality of the Fan 2, go for the Impact!
I have the Impact. It's my 1a. Had to send it back for a QC issue so I'm without it for a couple of weeks.

I have the fan2 don't like how they fit in my ear canals, they sound great though. I just cannot wear them for long listening sessions. Fan OG is a great entry level DD, fantastic V-shaped signature. Serial is in my top 5 IEMs. I enjoy the vintage like sound.

I'm just debating between getting the Volt and/or Vortex. I like IEMs with DD and these seem like the best options. I just wish I picked it up during the 11.11 or Christmas sale. I could have save myself a bit of money.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #7,380 of 14,142
I have the Impact. It's my 1a. Had to send it back for a QC issue so I'm without it for a couple of weeks.

I have the fan2 don't like how they fit in my ear canals, they should great. I just cannot weat them for long listening sessions. Fan OG is a great entry level DD, fantastic V-shaped signature. Serial is in my top 5 IEMs. I enjoy the vintage like sound.

I'm just debating between getting the Volt and/or Vortex. I like IEMs with DD and these seem like the best options. I just wish I picked it up during the 11.11 or Christmas sale. I could have save myself a bit of money.
Yes, I just re-read your question. As mentioned, the Vortex is like the Fan 2. Out of everything you own which do you like best? The 1A will make them all sing when it comes back! Read the last few pages about Volt ownership, I haven’t heard it, but it sure looks like a lifetime keeper?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back