The PENON official thread
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #7,381 of 14,142
I have the Impact. It's my 1a. Had to send it back for a QC issue so I'm without it for a couple of weeks.

I have the fan2 don't like how they fit in my ear canals, they should great. I just cannot weat them for long listening sessions. Fan OG is a great entry level DD, fantastic V-shaped signature. Serial is in my top 5 IEMs. I enjoy the vintage like sound.

I'm just debating between getting the Volt and/or Vortex. I like IEMs with DD and these seem like the best options. I just wish I picked it up during the 11.11 or Christmas sale. I could have save myself a bit of money.
Are you familiar with MrWalkman’s firmware? That additional add changed my life with the WM1A!

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #7,382 of 14,142
I have the Impact. It's my 1a. Had to send it back for a QC issue so I'm without it for a couple of weeks.

I have the fan2 don't like how they fit in my ear canals, they should great. I just cannot weat them for long listening sessions. Fan OG is a great entry level DD, fantastic V-shaped signature. Serial is in my top 5 IEMs. I enjoy the vintage like sound.

I'm just debating between getting the Volt and/or Vortex. I like IEMs with DD and these seem like the best options. I just wish I picked it up during the 11.11 or Christmas sale. I could have save myself a bit of money.

The Volt & Vortex is interesting...Makes me want to get a set.

Penon Impact, Serial, Fan OG, Fan2 owner. Which should I get first?

Get the Volts, they are collectibles if you're really into analogue sound. To my ears, a great balance between engagement and technicalities. On the condition you have a fairly powerful source, the Volts will sing for you anytime, anyday...

IMG_E2544.JPG

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #7,383 of 14,142
Get the Volts, they are collectibles if you're really into analogue sound. To my ears, a great balance between engagement and technicalities. On the condition you have a fairly powerful source, the Volts will sing for you anytime, anyday...

IMG_E2544.JPG
This^, This^. I haven’t even heard the Volts but the pictures and descriptions the last few pages have been epic. Truly amazing for me anyway!

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #7,384 of 14,142
Are you familiar with MrWalkman’s firmware? That additional add changed my life with the WM1A!
Nope, planned to get the new NW707 Walkman but read that the highgain function was removed from the US version. Lame. SONY. Lame.

IMG_E2544.JPG
Thanks for the recommendation. I do want the Volts from the previous posts I've read. I'll have them as my next Penon purchase.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #7,385 of 14,142
FAN OG is a very versatile IEM, perhaps not as detailed as the FAN2/H30. But tonality is more emotional to me.
Tonality being very right for dark doom metal giving enough note weight in the guitars, drums and bass. H30 especially with the lower treble emphasis, takes away some of the mood from the genre.

This is also something the Penon Serial is even better than the FAN with.

Personally a fan of matching different sets for genres, FAN 2 and jazz is fabulous.

Very personal opinion as some like their metal more aggressive sounding.

https://alone-records.bandcamp.com/album/the-morning-never-came

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #7,386 of 14,142
@ https://www.head-fi.org/members/s2kphile.116435/

There is great aftermarket firmware for both the 1A and 1Z which goes to show Sony have left room for improvement. One is the region changer that anyone can download from Rockbox. Then the (aftermarket firmware) changes which take place with the 1A especially, where it’s warmer than stock. The stage is altered too, with the addition of MrWalkman’s firmware. Though keep in mind this is fully reversible, still it’s complicated once you start. Meaning there are all kinds of regions and all styles of firmwares and their ramifications to be found.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

If you use this you don’t need the region tool.

https://www.mrwalkman.com/?m=1

The thread about it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/

My Sony WM1A review:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-walkman-wm1a.25427/

The original 3000+ page WM1A/WM1Z thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/

And finally the present WM1A/WM1Z thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-continuation-of-the-sony-walkman-1z-1a-thread.944508/

Such software doesn’t work with the new Android Walkmans.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #7,387 of 14,142
Vortex is closer to the FAN 2, mere neutral approach with very good technicalities on FAN2.

I’m going to disagree with you and redcarmoose a little here. Vortex and Fan2 are complimentary sets, more than they are similar.

Vortex is a neutral-bright IEM with an upper-mid/treble emphasis. Fan2 is a neutral-warm IEM with a heavy mid-bass emphasis. Like when I think of similar, I think “you could exchange one for the other”.

For example, Vortex is much more similar to Tripowin x HBB Olina SE than it is to Fan2

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #7,388 of 14,142
I’m going to disagree with you and redcarmoose a little here. Vortex and Fan2 are complimentary sets, more than they are similar.

Vortex is a neutral-bright IEM with an upper-mid/treble emphasis. Fan2 is a neutral-warm IEM with a heavy mid-bass emphasis. Like when I think of similar, I think “you could exchange one for the other”.

For example, Vortex is much more similar to Tripowin x HBB Olina SE than it is to Fan2
Dont disagree there, still for me it's closer to neutral with some upper emphasis.
Take my take on the Vortex light as I had fairly little time with it, friend of mine who own it together with the volt and globe. When comparing my FAN 2 and Serial I would put the Serial, Globe and volt on the more colored side and the vortex and fan 2 in the more neutral side. Vortex reminded me a little of the headphone DT990.

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #7,389 of 14,142
Feb 1, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #7,390 of 14,142
So @Penon: Holidays are over, please ship the Impact to Daddy😘
Hi.

Did they send yours?

After much deliberation, I ordered it over the weekend. I have no update on the order, nor an answer to any questions that I raised by mail. I think that they are still on vacation, or they have a lot of work after their return...

Now that I've decided on the purchase, I'm nervous checking the mail several times an hour :sweat_smile:

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #7,391 of 14,142
Hi.

Did they send yours?

After much deliberation, I ordered it over the weekend. I have no update on the order, nor an answer to any questions that I raised by mail. I think that they are still on vacation, or they have a lot of work after their return...

Now that I've decided on the purchase, I'm nervous checking the mail several times an hour :sweat_smile:
Got this yesterday. Everything’s fine, you should get your order confirmation soon.

78CDBD1C-9B13-43BB-87EB-0AB8B299295D.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #7,392 of 14,142
Hi.

Did they send yours?

I ordered on 16th in hope to get them before holiday but no luck, same no update or reply from Penon

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #7,393 of 14,142
Looking foward to everyones take on the Impacts that got them or are considering getting a set.

Going back on what @Redcarmoose was saying. I think there are simialarities between the Fan2 and the Legends more than the Impacts. I have been telling folks that are looking for the next level Fan2. That is actually the Legends.

The Impacts reminds me a mix between the technicalities of the Legend, the rich tonal qualities of the Volts, sound balancing of the serials. But if you put all 3 of these together that would make for a spectacular sounding IEM..

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #7,394 of 14,142
Thank-you for the clarification on that! You did say that in your review, but I extrapolated the Impact sound, from your Legend description (written in the Impact review). Glad to hear the Fan 2 is closer to the Legend.
Looking foward to everyones take on the Impacts that got them or are considering getting a set.

Going back on what @Redcarmoose was saying. I think there are simialarities between the Fan2 and the Legends more than the Impacts. I have been telling folks that are looking for the next level Fan2. That is actually the Legends.

The Impacts reminds me a mix between the technicalities of the Legend, the rich tonal qualities of the Volts, sound balancing of the serials. But if you put all 3 of these together that would make for a spectacular sounding IEM..

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #7,395 of 14,142
Impacts are really the most technical, most detailed the most musical and dimensional sounding IEM Penon makes. It is the reason why they cost the way they do. The important aspect being that they are supremely musical.

When listening to the Impacts you can clearly tell they are made by Penon. Its got Penon DNA all over it for its sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back