The PENON official thread
Dec 5, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #6,691 of 13,628
I love it @yaps66 and works very well with hybrid iems :)

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #6,692 of 13,628
Hey there Penon-heads. I am seeking out some assistance in deciding which pair of Penon's should I add to my IEM "want" list. Originally I was set on Orbs as I heard some of its demos on Youtube and loved its meaty, lush sound presentation, but I am mostly listening to heavier music genres (specifically black and death metal) in which such a low end heavy sound signature can become an issue.

So now I am leaning more towards the Fan 2's or the Serial's as they possess more of a neutral-ish/balanced signature if I am not mistaken. My budget is sub-400$, so I automatically eliminated high end Penon IEM's and I am allergic to "thin" note weight and analytical, treble heavy/sibilant sound signatures, so I believe the Fan 2 or the Serial would be my optimal picks. I think I prefer the warmer-balanced sound signature or a balanced with a bass boost, I didn't manage to completely figure out the specifics of my preference yet, but its definitely within the warm-balanced - balanced range. Any potential input/advice would be much appreciated.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #6,693 of 13,628
Hey there Penon-heads. I am seeking out some assistance in deciding which pair of Penon's should I add to my IEM "want" list. Originally I was set on Orbs as I heard some of its demos on Youtube and loved its meaty, lush sound presentation, but I am mostly listening to heavier music genres (specifically black and death metal) in which such a low end heavy sound signature can become an issue.

So now I am leaning more towards the Fan 2's or the Serial's as they possess more of a neutral-ish/balanced signature if I am not mistaken. My budget is sub-400$, so I automatically eliminated high end Penon IEM's and I am allergic to "thin" note weight and analytical, treble heavy/sibilant sound signatures, so I believe the Fan 2 or the Serial would be my optimal picks. I think I prefer the warmer-balanced sound signature or a balanced with a bass boost, I didn't manage to completely figure out the specifics of my preference yet, but its definitely within the warm-balanced - balanced range. Any potential input/advice would be much appreciated.
I think depends a lot on your source signature too.
Will you use a dongle, dap, mobile dac/amp or desktop setup?
This would hep guys to help you

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #6,694 of 13,628
I love it @yaps66 and works very well with hybrid iems :)
I also love the 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect as well as the usb c to usb cable. there is some magic in these cables! Haha!

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #6,695 of 13,628

Serial for me plays best on high volume metal type recordings.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #6,697 of 13,628
I
Fan 2 ordered, i'm so curious to test it :ksc75smile:
i've some cable to test with Fan 2: Hansound Nyx, EA Ares , Cema PS and Dunu Viridian, looks like Hansound Nyx would match with FAN2 :)
Maybe i'll plug Plussound Trihybrid too :)
I love my Fan2! Listening with it now and I keep LOL because it's always surprising me. It's like, every piece of the FR is represented, and it has great PRaT and lush detail

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #6,698 of 13,628
@Xinlisupreme
Ah, thanks for the tip. I plan to use them mostly on my Shanling M3X DAP, I prefer using IEMs without the dongle as M3X provides enough juice for most of them, but if there is a necessity, I can add the Hiby FC4 dongle.

@szore
A point for the Serials then, thanks. If anyone could point me towards any credible detailed Serial vs Fan 2 comparison (sound wise), that would be much appreciated.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,700 of 13,628
Are those Shozy b2 that er sold by penon worth a shot? By any chance could someone compare them to Shozy 1.4 or penon Orb/Vortex?
I haven't heard them myself, but gathering other impressions, it seems like they are nicely full and organic, like Blon03, but it's questionable just how much more they offer for the higher price tag. At their current special offering, they're much likely to show a reasonable cost-to-improvement... but rolled sub-bass in favor of midbass is for me my "sometimes" sound and I more often reach for something like the Serial with a full glide. I like it but not as my main flavor. So I have a foam-modded Blon03 for those times.

These are at least likely to provide a better fit!

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #6,701 of 13,628
Ok I take the silence for "no" ☝️😀
The price is very agressive for what they are being sold for. This being said, dark signatures are not what most folks are looking for nowadays. The B2 absolutely requires the right cable for them to truely show what they can do. If you throw on a copper or warm gold plated cable on the Shozy B2 it becomes a thick warm blanket type of sound that just dont mesh well with audiophile sensibilities. The driver and the tech/ build is excellent. The resolve on the drivers are most definitley better than your garden variety dynamics being used nowadays. It was competitive at the $300 price point they were initially sold for. But for folks that are looking for something unique, i can say those are unique.

Shozy sound is a bit like Bose in how they tune things; big musical warm bassy, it is an L shaped Fr. Smooth and clean on the treble, forward meaty lower mids with big bold bass end. The headstage is unique too. Much bigger than the size of the B2 would indicate,. They are tuned a bit like the EST50 actually. Of course not as refined but more like a dynamic version of it. Leans more on a fun mid bassy rich tonal character. The B2 paired with a pure silver cable and they can sound very good for such tunings. One of the better darker tuned IEMs actaully.

I suppose they can be worth a punt if you already own some pure silver type cables.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #6,702 of 13,628
I haven't heard them myself, but gathering other impressions, it seems like they are nicely full and organic, like Blon03, but it's questionable just how much more they offer for the higher price tag. At their current special offering, they're much likely to show a reasonable cost-to-improvement... but rolled sub-bass in favor of midbass is for me my "sometimes" sound and I more often reach for something like the Serial with a full glide. I like it but not as my main flavor. So I have a foam-modded Blon03 for those times.

These are at least likely to provide a better fit!
Thanks for your thoughts on this :)

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #6,703 of 13,628
The price is very agressive for what they are being sold for. This being said, dark signatures are not what most folks are looking for nowadays. The B2 absolutely requires the right cable for them to truely show what they can do. If you throw on a copper or warm gold plated cable on the Shozy B2 it becomes a thick warm blanket type of sound that just dont mesh well with audiophile sensibilities. The driver and the tech/ build is excellent. The resolve on the drivers are most definitley better than your garden variety dynamics being used nowadays. It was competitive at the $300 price point they were initially sold for. But for folks that are looking for something unique, i can say those are unique.

Shozy sound is a bit like Bose in how they tune things; big musical warm bassy, it is an L shaped Fr. Smooth and clean on the treble, forward meaty lower mids with big bold bass end. The headstage is unique too. Much bigger than the size of the B2 would indicate,. They are tuned a bit like the EST50 actually. Of course not as refined but more like a dynamic version of it. Leans more on a fun mid bassy rich tonal character. The B2 paired with a pure silver cable and they can sound very good for such tunings. One of the better darker tuned IEMs actaully.

I suppose they can be worth a punt if you already own some pure silver type cables.
Thank you for the comprehensive answer.

I don't have any special silver cables to use with it, just the one that came with Vortex and some freebie silver looking one from kinera seeds I got from penon. I don't want to invest in expensive cables for iem like this.

I currently have modded Vortex, shozy 1.4 , ej07m and audiosense aq0 all of them with solid bass.

I think I was just really spoiled by Penon Orb (which I sold), that was not the best pick for metal (90% of my listening) but just lovely for slower tunes! This void was unfortunately not filled up by Vortex, shozy 1.4 is closer but not quite..

Well I guess I'll just wait for more price drops on shozy B2... or the next Penon release! 🤟🤟

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #6,704 of 13,628
Fan 2 will come to mind...
So now I am leaning more towards the Fan 2's
Fan 2 can be fast, detailed, fantastic layering and separation - you'll need this if DM is your your daily meal.
The Serial possess these qualities (dynamic driver abilities, though) with added sub bass, and less on the treble output...
or the Serial's as they possess more of a neutral-ish/balanced signature if I am not mistaken.
This is a Bass head model, not as fast as Fan 2, to be able to cope including the usual complex passages we have on DM. But the Fan 2 Does handle these passages with consummate ease.
If we compare one over the other, there can only be one better in a parameter, and so on. But that doesn't necessarily mean the other is inferior, one is simply better on handling things whilst another set can be better on other parameters.
My budget is sub-400$, so I automatically eliminated high end Penon IEM's and I am allergic to "thin" note weight and analytical, treble heavy/sibilant sound signatures,
This will ultimately depend on your Albums. If they are inherently sibilant, Fan 2 will reveal this.
so I believe the Fan 2 or the Serial would be my optimal picks. I think I prefer the warmer-balanced sound signature or a balanced with a bass boost,
The Serial Sub-bass Does not obscure mid bass (Zero bass bleed) all the way to the Lower mids
I didn't manage to completely figure out the specifics of my preference yet, but its definitely within the warm-balanced - balanced range.
A fellow headfier here had (2) words that is most apt for the Fan 2, Lush and Neutral - NO, not thin, creamy yes. Doesn't hurt our hearing, albeit bright...
Any potential input/advice would be much appreciated.
I hope my 2 cents helped you out...

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #6,705 of 13,628
Fan 2 ordered, i'm so curious to test it :ksc75smile:
i've some cable to test with Fan 2: Hansound Nyx, EA Ares , Cema PS and Dunu Viridian, looks like Hansound Nyx would match with FAN2 :)
Maybe i'll plug Plussound Trihybrid too :)
With The Totem, it is an absolute Joy, sounding like a New Penon In ear Headphone every time.
Thanks to @Redcarmoose for highlighting this excellent set.
The Totem pig tail can have these qualities as well.
I am already almost sure you'll love them...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back