The PENON official thread
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #6,721 of 13,778
DSC_0110.JPG
IMG_20221209_112327_(4000_x_2667_pixel).jpg
IMG_20221209_112306_(4000_x_2667_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #6,722 of 13,778
Well, I've been burning in my Serials for around 200 hours now and the whole soundscape has relaxed and opened up. There is a warm, analogue but intense feel to the sound; the similarity that immediately came to mind was a pair of bookshelf Mission 731i speakers my friend used to have at university.

I was using the white wide bore silicones that came with the Serials but have switched to Spinfit CP100s. The difference is huge - improved vocal and treble, less muddy and confused mid and subbass. I also tried some TRI Clarions which gave a similar sound to the wide bores. I have some CP145s on the way which might give me a little more bass extension but happy with the CP100s for the moment. The DUNU S&S tips are too small for me.

With the tips sorted, my attention turned to cables.

Using a single reference track - Unity by Royksopp, I tried a homemade custom 8W balanced silver 4.4mm, TRN T3 8W silver 2.5mm with 3 different adaptors, XINHS 4W graphene SPC 4.4mm and the stock CS819 4.4mm.

The XINHS was a bit of a bust - beautifully made, soft and supple but a rather bland reference sound - flat and unexciting. The registers were all present but lacking that vital spark. I also noticed I had to max out the volume whereas all the other cables were around the 65-70 mark.

The CS819 was more energetic but there was a haziness in the vocal and midranges that made it harder to pick things out. A lift in the bass and treble registers with some increased definition but not the best fit for the Serial, I feel.

My homemade silver wire gave a more balanced sound with a little loss of warmth but an increase in definition and air.

The surprise was the TRN T3. I used 3 different adaptors - FDBRO 4.4-2.5, PENON 4.4-2.5 and iBasso 3.5-2.5. The balanced adaptors gave a visceral subbass, almost U shaped focus with reduction in midbass and some vocal recession but a really exciting sound overall. The FDBRO adaptor sounded more U shaped than the Penon - I can't explain that unless there is an impedance issue. Because I though it was the adaptors shaping the sound, I tried the iBasso single ended adaptor with similar results to the Penon, but slightly warmer - presumably because it was single ended. I can only assume that the cable itself was influencing the sound.

I have an ISN S2 on the way which I hope will bring results in line with the T3 but a little warmer. Until then the T3 is the winner. @Penon we need a pure silver cable in the *2 series. I think this would be a great match for the Serial. Or...a silver / SPC hybrid like the offspring of the Neo and Orbit cables.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #6,723 of 13,778
Well, I've been burning in my Serials for around 200 hours now and the whole soundscape has relaxed and opened up. There is a warm, analogue but intense feel to the sound; the similarity that immediately came to mind was a pair of bookshelf Mission 700 speakers my friend used to have at university.

I was using the white wide bore silicones that came with the Serials but have swicthed to Spinfir CP100s. The difference is huge - improved vocal and treble, less muddy and confused mid and subbass. I also tried some TRI Clatrions which gave a similar sound the the wide bores. I have some CP145s on the way which might give me a little more bass extension but happy with the CP100s for the moment. The DUNU S&S tips are too small for me.

With the tips sorted, my attention turned to cables.

Using a single reference track - Unity by Royksopp, I tried a homemade custom 8W balanced silver 4.4mm, TRN T3 8W silver 2.5mm with 3 different adaptors, XINHS 4W graphene SPC 4.4mm and the stock CS819 4.4mm.

The XINHS was a bit of a bust - beautifully made, soft and supple but a rather bland reference sound - flat and unexciting. The registers were all present but lacking that vital spark. I also noticed I had to max out the volume whereas all the other cables were around the 65-70 mark.

The CS819 was more energetic but there was a haziness in the vocal and midranges that made it harder to pick things out. A lift in the bass and treble registers with some increased definition but not the best fit for the Serial, I feel.

My homemade silver wire gave a more balanced sound with a little loss of warmth but an increase in definition and air.

The surprise was the TRN T3. I used 3 different adaptors - FDBRO 4.4-2.5, PENON 4.4-2.5 and iBasso 3.5-2.5. The balanced adaptors gave a visceral subbass overall, almost U shaped focus with reduction in midbass and some vocal recession but a really exciting sound overall. The FDBRO adaptor sounded more U shaped than the Penon - I can't explain that unless there is an impedance issue. Because I though it was the adaptors shaping the sound, I tried the iBasso single ended adaptor with similar results to the Penon, but slightly warmer - presumably because it was single ended? I can only assume that the cable itself was influencing the sound.

I have an ISN S2 on the way which I hope will bring results in line with the T3 but a little warmer. Until then the T3 is the winner. @Penon we need a pure silver cable in the *2 series. I think this would be a great match for the Serial. Or...a silver / SPC hybrid like the offspring of the Neo and Orbit cables.
I will have to try the ISN S2 with the Serial IEMs too! It should be here any day. Still the included cable is nice, but I agree there may be potential for a slightly more fleshed-out tone? Nice to hear of someone believing in burn-in improving the sound! That’s the thing though, some silver cables or silver/copper hybrid cables will push definition, but it comes as a trade where you could lose that aspect of warmth that makes the Serial the Serial? You gain air, but at what cost?

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #6,724 of 13,778
Dec 9, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #6,725 of 13,778
The change the T3 brought was unexpected. I was expecting a clearer, cleaner sound but not the intense subbass! Perhaps I should call it the Crinacle effect :dt880smile:

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #6,726 of 13,778
Bass, bass, bass.....:)
The change the T3 brought was unexpected. I was expecting a clearer, cleaner sound but not the intense subbass! Perhaps I should call it the Crinacle effect :dt880smile:
8A309A71-491E-47CC-888C-B0E660020FD4.jpeg

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #6,727 of 13,778
Penon FAN 2
DSCF1739 (Large).jpg

DSCF1744 (Large).jpg
DSCF1740 (Large).jpg

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #6,729 of 13,778
After weeks in customs the FAN 2 arrived some days ago, looked even better in person than from pictures. Shares very much the same DNA as ISN H30, but less aggressive in the mid treble region. Also very fast and punchy bass.

Still very early impressions, going to try some more this weekend and cable roll to try copper and silver cable also.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #6,730 of 13,778
One thing I noticed very fast is that the fit is different going from ISN H30 and Penon Serial(Both seal easy with most tips). FAN 2 have very similar form factor as H30 but the angle is different on the nozzle. Making me get some pinch over time, weird is that its on my right ear. Probably a defect in my right ear that's different from left one :wink:Best fit so far is to turn them face more forward with 1 smaller size tip than usually.

Anyone else who have had any issue?

They sound like a refined H30, I like the tonality more. So I hope I can find a tip that sits better, perhaps the new Dunu tips will help. Should arrive soon.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #6,731 of 13,778
One thing I noticed very fast is that the fit is different going from ISN H30 and Penon Serial(Both seal easy with most tips). FAN 2 have very similar form factor as H30 but the angle is different on the nozzle. Making me get some pinch over time, weird is that its on my right ear. Probably a defect in my right ear that's different from left one :wink:Best fit so far is to turn them face more forward with 1 smaller size tip than usually.

Anyone else who have had any issue?

They sound like a refined H30, I like the tonality more. So I hope I can find a tip that sits better, perhaps the new Dunu tips will help. Should arrive soon.
I had to go down two tip sizes from all my other IEMs.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #6,732 of 13,778
I had to go down two tip sizes from all my other IEMs.
I haven't resolved my tips/Fan2 issues yet, gonna try Spiral Dots next, they just came today from Penon (only $12.00 for 3 pair, free shipping). Usual price is double that...:)

edit; the spiral dots sound great, but the stem on the Fan2 is so long, they dislodge easily if I open my mouth. the long stem is turning out the be a problem for me...I'm running out of tips to try...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #6,733 of 13,778
I haven't resolved my tips/Fan2 issues yet, gonna try Spiral Dots next, they just came today from Penon (only $12.00 for 3 pair, free shipping). Usual price is double that...:)

edit; the spiral dots sound great, but the stem on the Fan2 is so long, they dislodge easily if I open my mouth. the long stem is turning out the be a problem for me...I'm running out of tips to try...

The TRN T Tips are working really well for me.

US $8.36 5% Off | TRN T Ear-Tips Eartips Double Support Structure Silicone Earphone 3 Pairs Headphone Headset Earbuds TRN MT3

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt2y3cO

The L is closer to a standard M, so they combine perfectly with the long stems of the Fan 2 for me. They stay sealed, which is kind of a surprise since I usually use an L tip on most of my sets. Plus they’re cheap so barrier to trying them is low.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #6,734 of 13,778

The NiceHCK dual flange tips work well for me with the Fan2 & H30. Small, cheap, secure and sound great.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #6,735 of 13,778
The TRN T Tips are working really well for me.

US $8.36 5% Off | TRN T Ear-Tips Eartips Double Support Structure Silicone Earphone 3 Pairs Headphone Headset Earbuds TRN MT3

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt2y3cO

The L is closer to a standard M, so they combine perfectly with the long stems of the Fan 2 for me. They stay sealed, which is kind of a surprise since I usually use an L tip on most of my sets. Plus they’re cheap so barrier to trying them is low.
I ordered the TRN tips, thanks for the tip...:joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

But also my yellow spinfits worked out well, I tried that after the spiral dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back