The PENON official thread
Dec 6, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #6,706 of 13,778
Dec 6, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #6,707 of 13,778
Fan 2 will come to mind...

Fan 2 can be fast, detailed, fantastic layering and separation - you'll need this if DM is your your daily meal.
The Serial possess these qualities (dynamic driver abilities, though) with added sub bass, and less on the treble output...

This is a Bass head model, not as fast as Fan 2, to be able to cope including the usual complex passages we have on DM. But the Fan 2 Does handle these passages with consummate ease.
If we compare one over the other, there can only be one better in a parameter, and so on. But that doesn't necessarily mean the other is inferior, one is simply better on handling things whilst another set can be better on other parameters.

This will ultimately depend on your Albums. If they are inherently sibilant, Fan 2 will reveal this.

The Serial Sub-bass Does not obscure mid bass (Zero bass bleed) all the way to the Lower mids

A fellow headfier here had (2) words that is most apt for the Fan 2, Lush and Neutral - NO, not thin, creamy yes. Doesn't hurt our hearing, albeit bright...

I hope my 2 cents helped you out...

Thanks a lot for your detailed response to my inquiry. Basing on your description of both sets, their similarities and differences, I am now leaning towards the Serial's, but I assume I would be satisfied with both IEM's. The thing is I already own the "balanced darlings" Dunu SA6's and I enjoy them a lot, but even with their bass boost switch turned on, I yearn for some more low end thump on moments, some more mid-bass and lower mids meatiness and depth regardless the fact that SA6's are smooth and there is no issues when it comes to brightness/sibilance. So Serial's could add this missing wow factor, but then again, if Fan 2's are being described as "lush (neutral)" as well, maybe even them would suffice in adding some weight in the low end department (in comparison to SA6s). But yes, there is really no other way of figuring out which one would suit me best without testing both sets myself. Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #6,708 of 13,778
Are those Shozy b2 that er sold by penon worth a shot? By any chance could someone compare them to Shozy 1.4 or penon Orb/Vortex?
https://penonaudio.com/shozy-b2-special-edition.html

The SHOZY SCB2 is an amazing combination. The little B2 is individually serial numbered, and built like a work of art. Take note they are very small, which really helps arrive at fitment. The sound is a style of L shape probably the SHOZY house sound. As hearing the B2 and the new SHOZY AVA TWS, both are fully an L shape signature, that’s engulfing. Though I’m am not familiar with the new Christmas Edition cable. I do know the ISN SC4 Hybrid is one of the highest resolving and on the brighter side of the street. At $299.00 the original SC4 and B2 was a thick immersive experience, the only thing I wonder about is if this new cable that helps drop the price down will have the same Counter Strike in sonics as the original ISN SC4?

The Vortex is going to be more neutral and even, balanced in a way where some is scooped off the tip-top, and bottom. More polite really where the ORB is fascinating in that it has overlay of the frequency (in the lower section) put out by the BA and DD which adds a kind-of diffuse lower midrange with high roll-off. The bass is totally rhythmic, and while engaging, not the most textured bass, but fun and cool for the money! The ORB has a BA which causes it to have that contrast and separation, where the Vortex is more cohesive and level headed. Where the B2 is also going to be more cohesive than the ORB, also deeper lower midrange and bass than the Vortex.

The ORB has the best fit out of the three for me, and the most influential soundstage/midrange. Cheers!

DSC_0101 copy.jpeg
DSC_0089 copy.jpeg
DSC_0046.jpgfive.jpg

With The Totem, it is an absolute Joy, sounding like a New Penon In ear Headphone every time.
Thanks to @Redcarmoose for highlighting this excellent set.
The Totem pig tail can have this qualities as well.
I am already almost sure you'll love them...
The Fan 2 is almost a no-brainer! It's so different and unique, yet neutral with a hint of warmth.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #6,711 of 13,778
What tips are those?

Apologies, I had to edit this entire post because the tips aren’t what I thought they might be.

The short answer now is simply… I don’t know.

The core feels stiff enough that it might be an Azla Sednaearfit but the rest of it is too soft to be one… and the Sedna Light is a different colour.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #6,712 of 13,778
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #6,714 of 13,778
Hey there Penon-heads. I am seeking out some assistance in deciding which pair of Penon's should I add to my IEM "want" list. Originally I was set on Orbs as I heard some of its demos on Youtube and loved its meaty, lush sound presentation, but I am mostly listening to heavier music genres (specifically black and death metal) in which such a low end heavy sound signature can become an issue.

So now I am leaning more towards the Fan 2's or the Serial's as they possess more of a neutral-ish/balanced signature if I am not mistaken. My budget is sub-400$, so I automatically eliminated high end Penon IEM's and I am allergic to "thin" note weight and analytical, treble heavy/sibilant sound signatures, so I believe the Fan 2 or the Serial would be my optimal picks. I think I prefer the warmer-balanced sound signature or a balanced with a bass boost, I didn't manage to completely figure out the specifics of my preference yet, but its definitely within the warm-balanced - balanced range. Any potential input/advice would be much appreciated.
Even the Globe would be great for you.

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #6,715 of 13,778
My FAN 2 is on the way, i hope will arrive before Christmas🤞

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #6,716 of 13,778
Hey there Penon-heads. I am seeking out some assistance in deciding which pair of Penon's should I add to my IEM "want" list. Originally I was set on Orbs as I heard some of its demos on Youtube and loved its meaty, lush sound presentation, but I am mostly listening to heavier music genres (specifically black and death metal) in which such a low end heavy sound signature can become an issue.

So now I am leaning more towards the Fan 2's or the Serial's as they possess more of a neutral-ish/balanced signature if I am not mistaken. My budget is sub-400$, so I automatically eliminated high end Penon IEM's and I am allergic to "thin" note weight and analytical, treble heavy/sibilant sound signatures, so I believe the Fan 2 or the Serial would be my optimal picks. I think I prefer the warmer-balanced sound signature or a balanced with a bass boost, I didn't manage to completely figure out the specifics of my preference yet, but its definitely within the warm-balanced - balanced range. Any potential input/advice would be much appreciated.
I have been auditioning my recently acquired um Mext today. Part of the listening session involved also listening to solaris, andromeda and serial. I am not a/b comparing but just getting the overall vibe between them. I am very pleased to say the Penon sounds in the same league with all these phones. At less than a third of the price the serial is quite a value in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #6,718 of 13,778
The SHOZY SCB2 is an amazing combination.
I'll check it out, hehe :)
also ordered a Penon Vertex bcz my friends tell me that this iems so wonderful.

i have a Shozy Black Hole Mini - and it sounds very unusual and unlike the rest

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #6,719 of 13,778
Dec 8, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #6,720 of 13,778
Totem, with the Black sleeve can be used for other IEMs, ie the Fan 2

Very much agree

IMG_E1988.JPG
It’s a dark blue jacket I’m told, not exactly black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back