The PENON official thread
Jun 14, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #4,891 of 13,790
So what do they sound like? They sound like the dynamic version of the Globe down to the rich tonal character and full on lower mids and a wide bigger stage. A bigger bass shelf makes them have that addictive bass. Trebles are smooth clean a bit silky sounding actually and extended well. Remarkable how good this DLC driver is in this thing.

DSC09973.JPG

Rich Sonion BAs are one thing but a rich dynamic? How many rich sounding dynamic earphones have you heard? Ya think Globes with dynamic timbre and flare. They have outstanding timbre of the serial but with the sound balancing a bit like the Globes. More fuller, greater body to its lower mids and a richer tonal character than the Serial.

Vocals sound supreme on these things. Will be back with some more observations as the drivers are being flexed for the first time. Even out of the box I can tell even if I had no idea who these were from. You can listen to these blind folded and known it was a Penon sound. Superb dynamics... You guys have an insanely great dynamic to look forward. to. These are ideal Penon dynamics. Perhaps the best single dynamic they have ever made. I can tell that right off the bat.

Oh man I landed on this track. OHLY Smokes. The bass on these are insane! Soo good!

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #4,892 of 13,790
So what do they sound like? They sound like the dynamic version of the Globe down to the rich tonal character and full on lower mids and a wide bigger stage. A bigger bass shelf makes them have that addictive bass. Trebles are smooth clean a bit silky sounding actually and extended well. Remarkable how good this DLC driver is in this thing.

DSC09973.JPG

Rich Sonion BAs are one thing but a rich dynamic? How many rich sounding dynamic earphones have you heard? Ya think Globes with dynamic timbre and flare. They have outstanding timbre of the serial but with the sound balancing a bit like the Globes. More fuller, greater body to its lower mids and a richer tonal character than the Serial.

Vocals sound supreme on these things. Will be back with some more observations as the drivers are being flexed for the first time. Even out of the box I can tell even if I had no idea who these were from. You can listen to these blind folded and known it was a Penon sound. Superb dynamics... You guys have an insanely great dynamic to look forward. to. These are ideal Penon dynamics. Perhaps the best single dynamic they have ever made. I can tell that right off the bat.

Oh man I landed on this track. OHLY Smokes. The bass on these are insane! Soo good!

Thanks Dsnuts super excited hope around $200

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #4,893 of 13,790
These would be very competitive in the $300 range let alone a $200 earphone. You guys will have to wait n see and keep a tab on your mails for the obligatory promo offer. We will see where these lands.

One thing for certain. The Level of dynamic driver Penon is using on the Vortex is serious business. The more l listen to these things the better they keep on sounding. And from what I know of dynamic drivers. These will sound even better after some run in. Be excited folks. These things are gonna fly off the shelves.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #4,895 of 13,790
Oh man I have no idea what these things do better vocals or bass. Just astounding. Treble is nice n clean too

It is bold, Rich and Lush tonality with a silky treble note. musicality at its finest.
I am hoping It sounds like my Globe but with a high shelf added!

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #4,896 of 13,790
Original Sora! 🙌 The only IEM (other than Ety ER4S) that I have multiple backups of.

The “budget” label is a joke. They’re ridiculously good for what I paid.

I recently rediscovered how great OG Sora is after acquiring the DTR1+. Incredible synergy. Not that it isn’t already good on its own, but the transparency and power of the DTR1+ just drives it to the next level. Imaging and separation way above its price point. Band could be rocking out at full tilt and you’d still be able to hear what every instrument is doing. What sorcery is this?

Its single DD is well tuned and not at all shabby for its price, even in 2022, but I suspect the magic sauce really has to do with the upper treble and Intime’s implementation of that piezo.
1 Dd + 1 piezo tweeter is a winner. If the original Sora were detachable cables, I'd be very happy to pay usd.129+dhl shipping from Jpn.
One can tip roll to their preferred tuning. They have to be very patient in burning in though. From 0 to play, they're very bright...
But the FAN to my ears is better in most ways, as expected due to the price difference + isolation is :100: on the Fan...
Edited to add: As to what all this is doing in this thread - it goes back to why I’d love Penon to pay more attention to treble and upper treble in future. It would not be a treblehead’s treble, but it would come with all the attendant improvements - perceived or otherwise - that it can bring to imaging, layering etc. And hopefully it won’t literally take hundreds of hours to burn in like the Volt’s ESTs.
To properly burn in 7 pairs of drivers simultaneously - past 200 hours is just starting "to open up" in my experience...

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #4,897 of 13,790
The more l listen to these things the better they keep on sounding.

How are they technically? Imaging and soundstage etc?

Looks like they're priced at $219. They will really have to be a heavy hitter to compete, technically and tonally, with the Vernus.

Would be great if you could provide some insight on this @Dsnuts.

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,900 of 13,790

Its been mentioned before I think, but the two pin plug on that Vortex looks ridiculous. :) If I bought a Vortex that cable would have to be replaced.
Agreed when you buy a cable on AliExpress they ask you what end you want.

I bough the perfect cable pearecent blue OFCC and pure silver mix. 4 core buts it is super thin thinking maybe should have done it in 8 Core.

Too bad most cable builders don't offer the super flat 2 pin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-205948_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-205948_AliExpress.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220602_150516.jpg
    20220602_150516.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220602_150506.jpg
    20220602_150506.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220602_150609.jpg
    20220602_150609.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220615-041325_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-041325_AliExpress.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #4,901 of 13,790
@Dsnuts does vortex have similar EST50 tuning?

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #4,903 of 13,790
Oh man I have no idea what these things do better vocals or bass. Just astounding. Treble is nice n clean too

It is bold, Rich and Lush tonality with a silky treble note. musicality at its finest.
Is it More similar to Volt or EST50?

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #4,904 of 13,790
At $200 with a discount I could imagine just talking myself into buying the Vortex, for $220 I’m just not convinced it has enough going for it (vs. Vernus as one example, I know a limited run isn’t the best example to use). I’ll see what the used market trickle down turns out to be.

Just sets the Serial’s value as even better.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #4,905 of 13,790
These would be very competitive in the $300 range let alone a $200 earphone. You guys will have to wait n see and keep a tab on your mails for the obligatory promo offer. We will see where these lands.

One thing for certain. The Level of dynamic driver Penon is using on the Vortex is serious business. The more l listen to these things the better they keep on sounding. And from what I know of dynamic drivers. These will sound even better after some run in. Be excited folks. These things are gonna fly off the shelves.
Waiting for second opinions.

Edit: As far as “Perhaps the best single dynamic they have ever made.”

They’ve only made one other single dynamic IEM right? The Fans? Seems a bit superfluous to phrase it that way if it’s “best of two”, and the other was much cheaper. One would certainly hope so…

I may be missing a model?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back