The PENON official thread
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #4,922 of 13,895
Only wish it counted as one of the IEMs that provided a free PAC earbud, given that cheaper IEMs do trigger that deal.

What this thing that I do?

EDIT: I'm not a Penon fanboy, I'm a Penon realist. They have produced my favorite IEM (the Serial), and IEMs I feel have some compromises for my taste (Globe, Fan), and IEMs that just aren't for me (Orb). But they're out there making distinct tunings every single time, with great customer service, and I just respect what they do. If I end up disliking this and selling it that's fair dos, but compared to some bigger companies out there, they've earned money I send them, I want them to keep turning out the characterful products they do, even if only 1 in 4 or so is sublime for my particular tastes. I still usually have decent respect for the ones that don't s

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #4,923 of 13,895
Only wish it counted as one of the IEMs that provided a free PAC earbud, given that cheaper IEMs do trigger that deal.

What this thing that I do?

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 5.43.08 PM.png

EDIT: I'm not a Penon fanboy, I'm a Penon realist. They have produced my favorite IEM (the Serial), and IEMs I feel have some compromises for my taste (Globe, Fan), and IEMs that just aren't for me (Orb). But they're out there making distinct tunings every single time, with great customer service, and I just respect what they do. If I end up disliking this and selling it that's fair dos, but compared to some bigger companies out there, they've earned money I send them, I want them to keep turning out the characterful products they do, even if only 1 in 4 or so is sublime for my particular tastes. I still usually have decent respect for the ones that don't suit me.
Well said!

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #4,924 of 13,895
Just jumped into the Vortex as well!

So what do they sound like? They sound like the dynamic version of the Globe down to the rich tonal character and full on lower mids and a wide bigger stage. A bigger bass shelf makes them have that addictive bass. Trebles are smooth clean a bit silky sounding actually and extended well. Remarkable how good this DLC driver is in this thing.

DSC09973.JPG

Rich Sonion BAs are one thing but a rich dynamic? How many rich sounding dynamic earphones have you heard? Ya think Globes with dynamic timbre and flare. They have outstanding timbre of the serial but with the sound balancing a bit like the Globes. More fuller, greater body to its lower mids and a richer tonal character than the Serial.

Vocals sound supreme on these things. Will be back with some more observations as the drivers are being flexed for the first time. Even out of the box I can tell even if I had no idea who these were from. You can listen to these blind folded and known it was a Penon sound. Superb dynamics... You guys have an insanely great dynamic to look forward. to. These are ideal Penon dynamics. Perhaps the best single dynamic they have ever made. I can tell that right off the bat.

Oh man I landed on this track. OHLY Smokes. The bass on these are insane! Soo good!

So it’s the Globe! I gotta say, when my Globe arrived, I was nitpicking at it like crazy. Long story but I was almost disappointed even. But the Globe somehow worked its way from there and found itself a niche in my daily routine… and now it is the only IEM in my collection that gets used at least once Every. Single. Day.

So that’s the bar that’s been set for the Vortex. We’ll see.

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #4,925 of 13,895

So it’s the Globe! I gotta say, when my Globe arrived, I was nitpicking at it like crazy. Long story but I was almost disappointed even. But the Globe somehow worked its way from there and found itself a niche in my daily routine… and now it is the only IEM in my collection that gets used at least once Every. Single. Day.

The Globe always impressed me. Small in size but big in character and it seemed to emphasise the treble detail better than most other Penon IEMs. It also helped that for me its one of the few IEMs that is completely inoffensive on all tracks without losing character or being dark.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #4,926 of 13,895
Na I am gonna doubt anyone is gonna out right not like these things. These are the type of earphones you reach for to get a high end sound on the go. To be immersed into your tunes. Not so much to nit pic. There are other earphones for that. These are made to enjoy.

Full bored sound. Surprising amount of depth and height to the sonics. Bold sound. Rich and lush at the same time. I have been burning them in my lowly Fiio X1-( I use this dap to burn in a lot of earphones due to its longer battery life.) But even on the this entry level dap the sound out of the Vortex is supremely dynamic and very immersive.

While the sound balancing and presentation is similar to the Globes, these clearly have their own sound.

And for folks getting a set. I do recommend you do a solid overnight of burn in before taking them seriously. They sound more dynamic and rangier today. I thought the trebles was a bit reserved sounding last night. Not so much this morning this means the sound is starting to open up.

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #4,927 of 13,895
I thought the trebles was a bit reserved sounding last night. Not so much this morning this means the sound is starting to open up.

Really hope they're not too dull for my tastes. The FAN had a great low end expression but was too dark to keep my attention over the course of months. Is the Vortex darker than the Globe?

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,930 of 13,895
@Dsnuts looks a gorgeous iem, maybe I’ll buy too and should Marche very well with Dunu Viridian silver cable…

F07456F1-B71E-43F6-B480-514D9FF29C75.jpeg

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #4,931 of 13,895
I can understand why Penon included the CS819. It does have its own flavor. Vortex already has a bold sound tuning to them and the CS819 enhances that boldness. It is much more copper in its make up and since Penon likes to tune with a non fatiguing treble. CS819 hampers the treble and slight bit of a edge for its timbre and tone.

It has the same affect on the Vortex as it does on the Serial let me put it that way. The Vortex is simply a higher end sound vs the cable it is matched with. So I would go SPC variant. More silver content the more detail you will squeeze out of the Vortex.

I am nowhere near finished burning them in but I will do some initial cable rolling tonight and will be back to report.

Oh and you guys are getting a package of the ePro horns with them. Yes they match up well with the Vortex.

Package

Penon Vortex

Copper and silver mixed cable CS819

Transparent Green Silicone eartips (SML)

Grey-green silicone eartips (SML)

EPRO eartips (SML)

Earphone bag

Pouch

Cable clip

Cleaning brush

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #4,932 of 13,895

I so agree with you I had to eq them with a high shelf but slowly now I have been reducing that to just enjoy the Globe but still like a bit more up top.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-130627_Qudelix.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-130627_Qudelix.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #4,933 of 13,895
@Dsnuts Looks interesting try Solar, Flow, Leo+ and Dunu Blanche also if you still have them
I know cost more than Vortex but would be interesting for you.

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #4,935 of 13,895
How does Vortex look against Orb? Pros and cons? :)
Both Orbs and to a greater extent the Globes have your traditional Penon sound that is more of an organic richness in tone which is the foundation for their house sound. Fullness and warmth in their lower mids. Non fatiguing trebles and ample upper mids. Very good body to the sounds. Which are all Penon house traits. The Vortex is a dynamic example of the Penons sound signature more so than the Serial.

Pros of the Vortex is its timbre naturalness, its immersive quality. All 3 share a big bold sound. As good as the tonal richness are for their use of the Sonion BAs can't figure which version of the rich tonality sounds better to my ears. Sonion BA or the Vortex. Nothing beats the cohesion of a single dynamic. There is no cohesion issues on Penon sets but a single dynamic is even better and seamless in transition. Transients that sound more natural as a result. Smaller form shell size is a plus on the Vortex. The amazing aspect of how big and bold the sound is coming out of relatively smaller shells is magical.

Cons cant say if there are any cons against the Orbs or the Globes. If you guys are fans of either or both even the Volts. Wait till you all hear the Vortex. They are all not exactly the same but the pedigree is there.

I put the SQ more closer to the Globes presentation vs the Orbs. Treble has more presence in a similar vein as the Globes vs the Orbs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back