The PENON official thread
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #4,906 of 13,885
At $200 with a discount I could imagine just talking myself into buying the Vortex, for $220 I’m just not convinced it has enough going for it (vs. Vernus as one example, I know a limited run isn’t the best example to use). I’ll see what the used market trickle down turns out to be.

Just sets the Serial’s value as even better.
It might not be a Serial Killer but it could be Funtastic!

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #4,907 of 13,885
Well if you include the ISN models. ISN D02 and ISN D10, Penon Fan. I suppose you can throw the Serial in the mix here.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-vortex.html So official RP is $219..

Folks these at this price is just Fan service to you guys. Get yourself a Vortex. I throw them on the burn in and have them with me at work today. Unbelievable what your getting for this price. Go for it!!

Na Serial and the Vortex both have different tunings, I will get into that more once I get them run in but I can say Vortex is more traditional Penon richness, body and soul

Serial is the closest to a neutral Penon sound as it will get. Both different in approach.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #4,908 of 13,885
@Dsnuts does vortex have similar EST50 tuning?
Nope. Where they share similarities is their full bodied tonal character but Vortex is not an L shaped signature like the EST50. It has very good balancing for its tuning.

Will get back to you on that as my Vortex gets burned in they sound just fantastic this morning.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #4,909 of 13,885
I remember the day i got my Globes! Coming from the Orbs, they (the Globes) were a breath of fresh air up top.
Bright without getting too hot...

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,910 of 13,885
Another blindbuy :hear_no_evil: and moonlights are coming... I think I will retire from this hobby for a while, to enjoy music

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #4,911 of 13,885
Nope. Where they share similarities is their full bodied tonal character but Vortex is not an L shaped signature like the EST50. It has very good balancing for its tuning.

Will get back to you on that as my Vortex gets burned in they sound just fantastic this morning.

How do they compare treble-wise to the Globes? I liked the upper mid and lower treble presence of the Globes.

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,913 of 13,885
@ian91

Treble is clean with no glare or splashiness. Penon is using an anti siblance dip at 6-8Khz but still has great details for treble. More lower treble with a few spikes for its upper treble shimmer and extension. Smoother more silkier in tone. The DLC dynamic Penon is using his is just fantastic.

Think DUNU vernus with a musical full bodied tuning and you might have a good idea of what I am talking about. Oh and its bass is a strength on the Vortex.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,914 of 13,885
@ian91

Treble is clean with no glare or splashiness. Penon is using an anti siblance dip at 6-8Khz but still has great details for treble. More lower treble with a few spikes for its upper treble shimmer and extension. Smoother more silkier in tone. The DLC dynamic Penon is using his is just fantastic.

Think DUNU vernus with a musical full bodied tuning and you might have a good idea of what I am talking about. Oh and its bass is a strength on the Vortex.

Sounds promising! Let us know how you get on with source / cable matching when it comes to it.

Jun 15, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,915 of 13,885
@ian91

So your preference is for the Vortex over the Vernus or just different?

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #4,916 of 13,885
How do they compare treble-wise to the Globes? I liked the upper mid and lower treble presence of the Globes.

I will get back to you on that. I feel the Vortex is opening up after a night of burn in. Will do a closer listen tonight.
So your preference is for the Vortex over the Vernus or just different?

Love the Vernus. What is with all the V names nowadays. Lol
Love the Vernus it is more neutral reference type tuning and is tuned for high levels of detail and technicalities.

Penon house sound is not tuned for details like the Vernus but the driver used on the Vortex is just as resolving as the one used in the Vernus. Tuning is completely different. More lower mids, body and fullness, greater dynamic contrast vs the more wider imaging and neutrality of the Vernus. Two very different sound signatures. Vernous to pick off details the Vortex is all about emotive hearing. Very rangy in its dynamic shifts. Greater height and depth of sound vs the Vernus. Vernus having a bit wider stage.

Vortex is all about immersion. I want to say actually has the edge in dimensional character due to having greater height and depth of sound. Both are fantastic and actually compliment each other in how they sound.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #4,917 of 13,885
Just sets the Serial’s value as even better.

I'll be interested to see how Vortex vs Serial plays out. I appreciate that Serial is closer to neutral (as far as Penons line up goes) but at least from the graph there's a degree of overlap implied that would suggest I'd only need to own one or the other, but we all know graphs are less than half the story.

Greater height and depth of sound vs the Vernus. Vernus having a bit wider stage.

I think the Vernus will be a nice compliment to the more 'fun' Vortex tuning but I really hope the staging, imaging and depth aren't wholly different. I prefer a spacious presentation, especially if there's a bass lift. Looking forward to more impressions as they come to you!

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #4,919 of 13,885
Any experience with how long "Registered airmail" takes to reach the UK?

If 'registered airmail' is the option that Penon uses for things like eartips (and I think it is), it usually takes about 2-3 weeks to the UK in my experience.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #4,920 of 13,885
Only wish it counted as one of the IEMs that provided a free PAC earbud, given that cheaper IEMs do trigger that deal.

What this thing that I do?

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 5.43.08 PM.png

EDIT: I'm not a Penon fanboy, I'm a Penon realist. They have produced my favorite IEM (the Serial), and IEMs I feel have some compromises for my taste (Globe, Fan), and IEMs that just aren't for me (Orb). But they're out there making distinct tunings every single time, with great customer service, and I just respect what they do. If I end up disliking this and selling it that's fair dos, but compared to some bigger companies out there, they've earned money I send them, I want them to keep turning out the characterful products they do, even if only 1 in 4 or so is sublime for my particular tastes. I still usually have decent respect for the ones that don't suit me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back