The PENON official thread
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #4,936 of 14,142
DSC09974.JPG

SPC or silver-plated copper. Pure silver works well but to keep that special sauce that makes the Vortex shine, some copper cores should definitely be a part of the equation.

ISN S4 and or the Penon OS849. Both these cables make the Vortex sound better than what they already are. OS849 here + Epro horns= Optimum Vortex.

Vortex likes a wider tip this is the reason why Penon is including a set of ePro horns. Its got a big sound so anything narrow bored wise like the Final E is restrictive. Epros does a great job opening up the full monty on the Vortex. Vortex with an upgraded cable and ePros sound absolutely no where close to a $200 earphone.

You guys will see what I mean once you get yours.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #4,937 of 14,142
I will get back to you on that. I feel the Vortex is opening up after a night of burn in. Will do a closer listen tonight.

Love the Vernus. What is with all the V names nowadays. Lol
Love the Vernus it is more neutral reference type tuning and is tuned for high levels of detail and technicalities.

Penon house sound is not tuned for details like the Vernus but the driver used on the Vortex is just as resolving as the one used in the Vernus. Tuning is completely different. More lower mids, body and fullness, greater dynamic contrast vs the more wider imaging and neutrality of the Vernus. Two very different sound signatures. Vernous to pick off details the Vortex is all about emotive hearing. Very rangy in its dynamic shifts. Greater height and depth of sound vs the Vernus. Vernus having a bit wider stage.

Vortex is all about immersion. I want to say actually has the edge in dimensional character due to having greater height and depth of sound. Both are fantastic and actually compliment each other in how they sound.
Nice! Vortex in the cart. Will pull the trigger then!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #4,938 of 14,142
I might go with dark blue since I've seen the newer photos, I can tell myself they're Moonlights :laughing:

Any experience with how long "Registered airmail" takes to reach the UK? I know the $10 will be lightning fast, but I can wait 2 weeks if that's all the first option would take.
From my experience the difference is anywhere from two to four weeks. I’m in Vietnam so it should be faster but the mail system in Vietnam, while getting better, is like the dark ages sometimes!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #4,939 of 14,142
Only wish it counted as one of the IEMs that provided a free PAC earbud, given that cheaper IEMs do trigger that deal.

What this thing that I do?

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 5.43.08 PM.png

EDIT: I'm not a Penon fanboy, I'm a Penon realist. They have produced my favorite IEM (the Serial), and IEMs I feel have some compromises for my taste (Globe, Fan), and IEMs that just aren't for me (Orb). But they're out there making distinct tunings every single time, with great customer service, and I just respect what they do. If I end up disliking this and selling it that's fair dos, but compared to some bigger companies out there, they've earned money I send them, I want them to keep turning out the characterful products they do, even if only 1 in 4 or so is sublime for my particular tastes. I still usually have decent respect for the ones that don't suit me.
Why don’t you write to them to see if they will throw in the PAC. Nothing to lose!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #4,940 of 14,142
Both Orbs and to a greater extent the Globes have your traditional Penon sound that is more of an organic richness in tone which is the foundation for their house sound. Fullness and warmth in their lower mids. Non fatiguing trebles and ample upper mids. Very good body to the sounds. Which are all Penon house traits. The Vortex is a dynamic example of the Penons sound signature more so than the Serial.

Pros of the Vortex is its timbre naturalness, its immersive quality. All 3 share a big bold sound. As good as the tonal richness are for their use of the Sonion BAs can't figure which version of the rich tonality sounds better to my ears. Sonion BA or the Vortex. Nothing beats the cohesion of a single dynamic. There is no cohesion issues on Penon sets but a single dynamic is even better and seamless in transition. Transients that sound more natural as a result. Smaller form shell size is a plus on the Vortex. The amazing aspect of how big and bold the sound is coming out of relatively smaller shells is magical.

Cons cant say if there are any cons against the Orbs or the Globes. If you guys are fans of either or both even the Volts. Wait till you all hear the Vortex. They are all not exactly the same but the pedigree is there.

I put the SQ more closer to the Globes presentation vs the Orbs. Treble has more presence in a similar vein as the Globes vs the Orbs.
Single DDs are magic I tell you!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #4,941 of 14,142
Jun 16, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #4,942 of 14,142
Jun 16, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #4,943 of 14,142
Shame on Penon and other manufacturers using the wrong 2 pin termination. The Vortex again using a recessed type 2 pin without a recession on iem! Why? don't be so damn lazy this kind of cable puts undue stress on the pins and sockets. And as Penon also makes cables double shame on them.
Also looks like @ss should have had a flush 0.78mm 2 Pin.

I personally would not be promoting this kind of cable and if anything influencers should be helping companies like Penon see the error of thier ways. Be a part of the solution not the problem!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-215834_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-215834_AliExpress.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1655386500212.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655386500212.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #4,944 of 14,142
Shame on Penon and other manufacturers using the wrong 2 pin termination. The Vortex again using a recessed type 2 pin without a recession on iem! Why? don't be so damn lazy this kind of cable puts undue stress on the pins and sockets. And as Penon also makes cables double shame on them.
Also looks like @ss should have had a flush 0.78mm 2 Pin.

I personally would not be promoting this kind of cable and if anything influencers should be helping companies like Penon see the error of thier ways. Be a part of the solution not the problem!
I'm not sure it puts that much more stress on the sockets, a little yes.

To me it just doesn't look very good and not as ergonomic as a flush mount plug. I find it uncomfortable to wear with big plugs sticking out because of the route the wires are forced to take around my ears but then everyone is different with regards to fit so for some its probably fine.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #4,945 of 14,142
Yeah I found the stock cable with Serial disappointing from a fit, appearance, and sound quality perspective - I switched immediately to a 3rd party cable.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,947 of 14,142
After a couple of weeks of using the Penon Globe, I think they are one of the best exponents to get into the sound that Penon Audio is looking for.
The bass is full, complete, wide, deep, physical, but very expressive. Dedicated to bass-lovers.
The midrange requires getting into the lap of that Penon sound I'm talking about. It's a warm range, which may seem a bit more mellow if you come from IEMS with more excited mid-highs. But, in reality, it's like lighting up the sunset, it's the best light to take pictures, the best atmosphere to enjoy the music, it's the light of the soul, of romanticism, of passion. It is the light that Penon is looking for. And this half-light is not unique, but receives the refined flashes of a soft treble, at the same time detailed, defined and well extended, to fill the mid-range with sweetness and nuances, breathing the necessary air to separate and elevate them.
I invite you to enter... through the big door, to this sound.

Penon Globe 7.jpg

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #4,948 of 14,142
After a couple of weeks of using the Penon Globe, I think they are one of the best exponents to get into the sound that Penon Audio is looking for.
The bass is full, complete, wide, deep, physical, but very expressive. Dedicated to bass-lovers.
The midrange requires getting into the lap of that Penon sound I'm talking about. It's a warm range, which may seem a bit more mellow if you come from IEMS with more excited mid-highs. But, in reality, it's like lighting up the sunset, it's the best light to take pictures, the best atmosphere to enjoy the music, it's the light of the soul, of romanticism, of passion. It is the light that Penon is looking for. And this half-light is not unique, but receives the refined flashes of a soft treble, at the same time detailed, defined and well extended, to fill the mid-range with sweetness and nuances, breathing the necessary air to separate and elevate them.
I invite you to enter... through the big door, to this sound.

Penon Globe 7.jpg
Love my Globe's 😍 was a great find for me!

Attachments

• 16554913325325516276690658953274.jpg
    16554913325325516276690658953274.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back