The PENON official thread
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #4,862 of 13,726
Right for me as well..

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #4,864 of 13,726
The graph makes the Vortex almost an assumed pass for my taste.

The Vernus is a masterful IEM, but sub bass extension definitely stops early. Of course it probably would have the end-game mid bass it has if sun bass continued to rise… but it’s something I miss. Very very similar rise and fall for the Vortex as for Vernus.

Bass doesn’t look like historic Penon tbh, interesting choice.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #4,865 of 13,726
The graph makes the Vortex almost an assumed pass for my taste.

The Vernus is a masterful IEM, but sub bass extension definitely stops early. Of course it probably would have the end-game mid bass it has if sun bass continued to rise… but it’s something I miss. Very very similar rise and fall for the Vortex as for Vernus.

Bass doesn’t look like historic Penon tbh, interesting choice.

I like the slight sub roll on the Vernus, it keeps things quite clean and defined. Vortex looks like it has less subbass roll off, but who knows. We need more graphs really.

Serial looks more of a divergence in tuning, out of Penons lineup, than the Vortex imo.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #4,867 of 13,726
Penon is definitely branching out with their tunings. So far it's been variations on a theme though, I'd be surprised if they ever totally abandon their twin trademarks of euphonic lower mids with wide soundstage.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #4,868 of 13,726
Penon is definitely branching out with their tunings. So far it's been variations on a theme though, I'd be surprised if they ever totally abandon their twin trademarks of euphonic lower mids with wide soundstage.
I hope they keep the house tuning with the special sauce I love my Globe's 😍

Jun 11, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #4,869 of 13,726
VORTEX may come in two different colors, which one do you like?

Left is a more visually interesting design IMHO.

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #4,871 of 13,726
1654947990705.png

(Literature and image : PENON)
Penon Vortex
Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-ear Monitor
Driver: 10mm strong magnetic DLC diamond fiber diaphragm
Input Sensitivity: 108dB SPL/mW
Frequency response range: 10Hz-35kHz
Impedance: 24Ω±15%(@1khz)
THD @ 1khz≤1%
Driver characteristics: DLC diamond-like carbon fiber material, the molecular structure is similar to diamond, the resolution and transmission details are precise and neat, clear and natural. Similar to beryllium metal used in aerospace research and high-end speakers, it is a light metal, and the density of DLC diamond-like carbon is comparable to that of metal beryllium. The ideal diaphragm needs to have the characteristics of light weight, proper damping, and small divided vibration. The key point is that the forward and backward delays of the vibration should be just right: vibrate immediately when a signal is received, and stop in time when the signal disappears. Diamond-like carbon achieves a perfect balance in terms of sound conduction velocity and internal resistance, that is, it has ideal forward and backward performance, ultra-high sensitivity and excellent transient response, which can accurately restore sound.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #4,873 of 13,726
I don't understand technical details, I guess that THD is... mad good?
LOL neither do I. Guilty of copy paste phenomenon... :gs1000smile:
1654953648434.png

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #4,874 of 13,726
I don't understand technical details, I guess that THD is... mad good?
I’m no expert, but I picked up somewhere that THD for iem’s and headphones is not a great spec to judge by. So many varying factors that can contribute to distortion. It works better for DACs and amps.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4,875 of 13,726
...and astonishing Stage height (Serials).
In the future I wish to hear increase in depth - in order to establish better layering.
Most folks will comment a better upper mid, lower treble detail retrieval and energy.
As far as the Bass and (fantastic) Mids, whatever level of tuning they currently got going - they got this in the bag...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back