The PENON official thread
Sep 26, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #617 of 13,888
I just got the Orb today. And man, was I surprised!! I was listening to my BGVP DH3, so on first listen my thought was "Hmm, it's kinda dark?!" But then as I listened on, it revealed so much more, oh so much more!

The vocals are to die for, literally!

A strong punchy bass with good body and enough subbass with outstanding quality!

Beautifully layered instruments which stays in character, have a good body and smooth texture!

Highs that are...less energetic compared to DH3 and FIBAE 3 (Don't beat me up please), but still has good extension. It's not heavily rolled off, yes may be a bit in the extreme ultra-highs, but that's about it. Has good details and body, intoxicating smoothness, not thin and sharp like DH3, sits behind in the mix, and gives a nice sense of space.

A wide and deep soundstage with very good separation! Goodf***ingness I did NOT expect this level of soundstage and separation and layering from One Single BA driver!!

In short, I'm drunk on Orb. I love it more than the H40. The holographic soundstage of H40 sometimes sounded...unrealistic. Orb presents the sound much more realistically.

The Mids on the Orbs are perfectly done!
Concerning the trebles, you may let your ears "acclimatize" to the Orb tuning first. Then experiment on tip rolling, then ultimately a cable upgrade...
Ranked...

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #618 of 13,888
Yeah truly! Frankly, I was somewhat skeptical of the Sphere and Orb, "Meh, one BA? How good it can be? And that price! Goodness they're just trying to milk us! Better give them a wide berth!" Then the reviews started to come in, and TBH I was like "Yeah yeah, must be their personal army..." But then, reading the consistently positive reviews of Orb, I started to believe that may be there are some substance behind them. And once I personally experienced it, well, I'm a Believer now! Will be gladly looking forward to the Volt!

1601197205101.png

you'd be surprised how a penon 1 ba reciever Sounds (lols)
1601197316974.png

especially on upgraded cable, preferably silver...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #619 of 13,888
@Dsnuts, @audio123,

Thanks for tempting me more on the Orb, been eyeing that for a while...have to see how things go, especially since exchange rate for me is still ridiculous, among some reasons why I missed out when they had their early adopter discount...
Anyway, for those who don't know, Penon makes really good gear, especially their cables...might have to update that OS 849 one day to see if there is any more to it like you say, @Dsnuts...
That OSG cable looks tempting but given the exchange rate & budget, going to have to wait on that...
Like their sub brand, ISN Audio has good cables as well, really like H16 & C16, got to try that AG8 one day...

@Dsnuts, question, would getting AG8 be better value for sound & budget over the CU4 aside from the potentially obvious sonic differences...

I've said this before on other threads & @audio123 knows this, don't expect them to remember though but I like the Orbit cable a lot as it's one of the best affordable cables I have with good synergy with many IEMs, subjectively & personally, H40 is still among the best affordable triple driver IEMs I heard & own.
Also, @audio123, if you say the Orb has similarities to the Fibae Black, makes it more tempting to find out as that is my humble reference for a single driver IEM, especially in the pricey but still affordable category.

Definitely going to be interesting when the Volt comes out, might be a bit pricey but agreed it is certainly competitive at the price point, so hopefully there will be a good discount when it comes out otherwise given the situation but certainly doable one day...maybe...

Just my humble 2 cents...

Hope everyone has a great day !

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #620 of 13,888
Delete

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #621 of 13,888
1601197205101.png
you's be surprised how a penon 1 ba reciever Sounds (lols)
1601197316974.png
especially on upgraded cable, preferably silver...
Do you have both the Orb and the Sphere? Can you tell me how the Sphere performs compared to Orb, minus the bass part, of course. After getting the Orb I am genuinely interested in having the Sphere in collection. A magnificent 1 BA will be a good addition. In case you have listened to BGVP DH3, can you tell me if Sphere bests that?

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #622 of 13,888
The Mids on the Orbs are perfectly done!
Concerning the trebles, you may let your ears "acclimatize" to the Orb tuning first. Then experiment on tip rolling, then ultimately a cable upgrade...
Ranked...
How is the sphere with a normal SPC cable?

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #623 of 13,888
Do you have both the Orb and the Sphere? Can you tell me how the Sphere performs compared to Orb, minus the bass part, of course. After getting the Orb I am genuinely interested in having the Sphere in collection. A magnificent 1 BA will be a good addition. In case you have listened to BGVP DH3, can you tell me if Sphere bests that?
The Sphere (per your request to use SPC) is surprisingly warmer fuller, defying its 1 ba receiver config.
Thereby, sounding richer.
The Orbs, however, being on the neutral, reference side, has definitely more air, more extension, a bit better PRAT, ADSR & ultimately more low level details.
Both sound more like a Full size headphone.
Both are enjoyable, both out of head, the Orbs being just a little farther out all around...
IMG_20200927_185600.jpg

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #624 of 13,888
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #625 of 13,888
The Sphere (per your request to use SPC) is surprisingly warmer fuller, defying its 1 ba receiver config.
The Orbs, however, being on the neutral, reference side, has definitely more air, more extension, a bit better PRAT, ADSR & ultimately more low level details.
Both are enjoyable, both out of head, the Orbs being just a little farther out all around...
IMG_20200927_185600.jpg
Thank you. I am thinking of procuring one for my collection. Want to have at least one outstanding sample of the basic variants of iems: DD, BA, DD+BA, multi BA, DD+EST (have Pola in mind for this).

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #626 of 13,888
I wish I could find a full size portable and foldable headphone that sounds like the Orb :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #627 of 13,888
Thank you. I am thinking of procuring one for my collection. Want to have at least one outstanding sample of the basic variants of iems: DD, BA, DD+BA, multi BA, DD+EST (have Pola in mind for this).

i got 3 single BA receiver IEMs. The Sphere simply blew them both out of the water, a usd.249 & the other @ usd. 226....
Whilst the Sphere, i purchased for only usd.169.
We cannot simply state that the Orb is better on all accounts, The Sphere is simply tuned to be different, not competing per se.
But a complement. Neutral w/ a slight hint of warmth=Orbs, Warm & rich=Spheres.
Your idea of categorizing your collection by config. is an excellent idea!
For me the Sphere is my endgame single ba receiver in ear headphone.
I'm no longer interested in acquiring a full size can similar to its tonality (usd.399 - usd.900, + cost of amp).
That would be redundant...

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #629 of 13,888
I'm really insterested with the orbs,
is it an upgrade from Fiio FH3 ?
please someone do a comparison,
thank you,

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #630 of 13,888
also, Orbs vs Mangird tea if possible,
thank you,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back