The PENON official thread
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #646 of 14,143
oh Wow (a la mark weins expression)
after an hour's announcement, from a very tiny corner
of the audiophile planet...
1601462797153.png

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #647 of 14,143
Volt cable looks quite similar to OS849 but with plugs like OSG, is it true?

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #649 of 14,143
So currently there is a Chinese Holiday for a week. I will let you all know how the volt sounds like when I get my gritty paws on them here in a few days.

I was told the cable was specifically made for the Volt. They wanted a nice higher end cable to go along with the Volt. And if anyone can make a nice higher end cable to go along with a flagship level earphone, you bet Penon gonna make a nice cable to go along with their flagship level earphone. It does look similar to the OS849 with adapters but it will not be the OS849 exactly. Seems to be using similar components.

For folks that buy now as they are available. I was told Penon will not be able to ship out till they get back from Holiday break.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #650 of 14,143
Penon, it seems, didn't mess around with crap adapters for the Volt. As a person who has yet to buy anything from them, I am admiring, from afar, how they do things based on what I've seen and read. I still can't get myself to spend this kind of money on Chi-Fi, but perhaps I'll warm up to it over the coming months as I get more and more re-acclimated to this hobby after a long absence.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #651 of 14,143
Penon, it seems, didn't mess around with crap adapters for the Volt. As a person who has yet to buy anything from them, I am admiring, from afar, how they do things based on what I've seen and read. I still can't get myself to spend this kind of money on Chi-Fi, but perhaps I'll warm up to it over the coming months as I get more and more re-acclimated to this hobby after a long absence.

Did several blind buys over the last 5 years, from Penon and from others, chifi and not. I can confidently say that Penon Orb is currently the best buy I did. I had my doubt at first, having been sent freebies of their own making whenever I buy something. They were all "meh" as far as I could remember. Didn't regret it when I tried trusting them again this time after officially releasing the Orb. One of these days, I'll get the Sphere and hopefully the Volt too.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #652 of 14,143
Heh, a couple hundred $ is one thing, $800 is an entirely different matter (for me at least as my audio budget is not what it once was; once it approaches $700, I start getting leery; YMMV of course). I don't bother with cheaper sets because I am not a collector; I have zero interest in owning a dozen+ IEMs. Just not how I roll, and no offense meant towards those who do.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #653 of 14,143
You know it is funny to me when the Sphere came out there was a collective. Meh. Because who makes a single BA earphone now a days right? Now we got folks that have a good idea because of the Orbs. Now all of a sudden the Sphere is a thing.

Sheres are unique that is for certain. I have yet to hear a better single implimented BA iem that sound as good as the Spheres. The only caviat is that they require a cable change. But I am sure most will change the cable anyway. The stock cable was just a cheapo throw in unfortunately.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #654 of 14,143
If all goes well I should have the Volt in my hands by early next week. I got a sound estimation to be at the 1K plus level in sonics and there is some stiff competition at that level so we will see how it goes. I am very curious to hear how they implimented the Sonion Electrostatic drivers in the mix doing the highs. I have a good idea for the bass and the mids. I am hoping for some silky smooth extended highs. Fingers crossed.

Imagine 2 of the same BAs that are in the Orbs and the one in the Spheres. The mids sound glorious on the Orbs so having 2 of them firing off each other is gonna make for better imaging and detail for the mids. Cant wait.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #655 of 14,143
If all goes well I should have the Volt in my hands by early next week. I got a sound estimation to be at the 1K plus level in sonics and there is some stiff competition at that level so we will see how it goes. I am very curious to hear how they implimented the Sonion Electrostatic drivers in the mix doing the highs. I have a good idea for the bass and the mids. I am hoping for some silky smooth extended highs. Fingers crossed.

Imagine 2 of the same BAs that are in the Orbs and the one in the Spheres. The mids sound glorious on the Orbs so having 2 of them firing off each other is gonna make for better imaging and detail for the mids. Cant wait.
The bass and mids of the Orb, with the treble of the MEST....one can dream, though it may be a reality.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #659 of 14,143
Very busy with work. Don't think I can finish the review soon. Let me chime in my thoughts for the Volt. Tested out of my DX220 Max. The bass is extended well and there is a natural sub-bass rumble. There is fair mid-bass body and slam is very apt. Each bass note is articulated precisely with weight. Given how most of the existing EST IEMs in the market have unsatisfactory midrange for me, this is where the Volt excels with clear and bodied vocals. There is musical presentation and fowardness gives the right amount of presence. Treble has good extension. It boasts a spot-on balance of body and sparkle to the tee. There is a controlled and open top end. The soundstage has a holographic expansion with good width. The depth is not lacking too. All in all, with its electric display, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Volt. :)

photo_2020-10-01_10-51-13.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #660 of 14,143

Users who are viewing this thread

Back