The PENON official thread
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #601 of 14,142
These Orb are really something... together with Spiral dot, Kbear silver cable & Hiby R6 Pro, they do sound very convincing for just $250. I enjoy them almost as much as my Flamenco & Andromeda.
Smooth yet engaging sound with good bass, small shell for comfortable fit. Really a great IEM, Kudos Penon!
PXL_20200922_133444268.jpg

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #602 of 14,142
These Orb are really something... together with Spiral dot, Kbear silver cable & Hiby R6 Pro, they do sound very convincing for just $250. I enjoy them almost as much as my Flamenco & Andromeda.
Smooth yet engaging sound with good bass, small shell for comfortable fit. Really a great IEM, Kudos Penon!

Now, imagine if they improve on the Orb into a much more premium one with the same engaging sound but having a little bit more sparkle in highs, wider stage, etc. That could be the Volt. Let's hope so.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #603 of 14,142
Volt it is

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #604 of 14,142
The Orb is such a gem. Really musical.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #605 of 14,142
Which eartips are those, by the way? Not the stock eartips.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #606 of 14,142
I just got the Orb today. And man, was I surprised!! I was listening to my BGVP DH3, so on first listen my thought was "Hmm, it's kinda dark?!" But then as I listened on, it revealed so much more, oh so much more!

The vocals are to die for, literally!

A strong punchy bass with good body and enough subbass with outstanding quality!

Beautifully layered instruments which stays in character, have a good body and smooth texture!

Highs that are...less energetic compared to DH3 and FIBAE 3 (Don't beat me up please), but still has good extension. It's not heavily rolled off, yes may be a bit in the extreme ultra-highs, but that's about it. Has good details and body, intoxicating smoothness, not thin and sharp like DH3, sits behind in the mix, and gives a nice sense of space.

A wide and deep soundstage with very good separation! Goodf***ingness I did NOT expect this level of soundstage and separation and layering from One Single BA driver!!

In short, I'm drunk on Orb. I love it more than the H40. The holographic soundstage of H40 sometimes sounded...unrealistic. Orb presents the sound much more realistically.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #607 of 14,142
I just got the Orb today. And man, was I surprised!! I was listening to my BGVP DH3, so on first listen my thought was "Hmm, it's kinda dark?!" But then as I listened on, it revealed so much more, oh so much more!

A strong punchy bass with good body and enough subbass with outstanding quality!

Beautifully layered instruments which stays in character, have a good body and smooth texture!

Highs that are...less energetic compared to DH3 and FIBAE 3 (Don't beat me up please), but still has good extension. It's not heavily rolled off, yes may be a bit in the extreme ultra-highs, but that's about it. Has good details and body, intoxicating smoothness, not thin and sharp like DH3, sits behind in the mix, and gives a nice sense of space.

A wide and deep soundstage with very good separation! Goodf***ingness I did NOT expect this level of soundstage and separation and layering from One Single BA driver!!

In short, I'm drunk on Orb. I love it more than the H40. The holographic soundstage of H40 sometimes sounded...unrealistic. Orb present the sound much more realistically.

Told ya. I also give more praise on Orb more than the H40. Both are good though, and have their own place of use.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #608 of 14,142

In short, I'm drunk on Orb. I love it more than the H40. The holographic soundstage of H40 sometimes sounded...unrealistic. Orb present the sound much more realistically.

So two of these BAs was used for the Volt just for the mids. That same dynamic for the bass. 4 Sonion ESTs for the highs.
Penon does stage so well for earphone it is the one element that is a constant on their earphones. Excited to hear the Volt for certain.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #609 of 14,142
And ThieAudio monarch or clairvoyance?

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #610 of 14,142
Told ya. I also give more praise on Orb more than the H40. Both are good though, and have their own place of use.
I needed a smoother alternative for my much more energetic FIBAE 3, without compromising the separation and soundstage. Orb delivers it in spades!

Sep 25, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #611 of 14,142
So two of these BAs was used for the Volt just for the mids. That same dynamic for the bass. 4 Sonion ESTs for the highs.
Penon does stage so well for earphone it is the one element that is a constant on their earphones. Excited to hear the Volt for certain.
Yeah truly! Frankly, I was somewhat sceptical of the Sphere and Orb, "Meh, one BA? How good it can be? And that price! Goodness they're just trying to milk us! Better give them a wide berth!" Then the reviews started to come in, and TBH I was like "Yeah yeah, must be their personal army..." But then, reading the consistently positive reviews of Orb, I started to believe that may be there are some substance behind them. And once I personally experienced it, well, I'm a Believer now! Will be gladly looking forward to the Volt!

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #614 of 14,142
Campfire Andromeda S + Penon OSG. The OSG incorporates graphene and silver plated OCC which is uncommon. I like how it improves the Andromeda S with more defined bass, vocals are clearer with more details, treble is articulate and airy. There is more accurate positioning of instruments. Very nice cable.

photo_2020-09-25_23-39-40.jpg

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #615 of 14,142
Just missed out on the Orbs on eBay not long ago. With the Volt on the way might’ve been fate lol. Eager to hear of its release and impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back