The PENON official thread
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #13,308 of 13,652
Depends on the country. My TSMR-X from Penon arrived in about 17 days without any customs to Hungary. I choose Free shipping.

I order a plethora of things mainly from China and get customs very rarely (about 1 in 100).

On the other side, DHL, FedEx and similar always do customs with a noticable fee.
In my case the same. I live in Spain.
I received my first order (NEO 5) with free shipping, it took 11 days and without any scares. Then a second order and everything was perfect.
I asked pennon before i ordered. They told me select express shipping, and no tax in france. So maybe ask first?
Yes, but the strange thing about the Express Service option (+$1.00) Express service:

Will be shipped via: DHL/EMS/UPS/FedEx,Canada and Europe countries will be shipped via tax-inclusive shipping method for free.
I guess we're both unlucky because I used normal shipping with the same result 😡
It's curious.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #13,309 of 13,652
I guess we're both unlucky because I used normal shipping with the same result 😡
I choosed normal shipping too, but I received TSMR-x very quickly. So I wonder if Penon didn't send it in speedest and no normal shipping... That could explains custom fees !?

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #13,310 of 13,652
Penon sent through some new goodies I plan on reviewing in due course, in the meantime here are a some brief impressions from my last few days with them. :relaxed:

Penon Liqueur Eartips come in two varieties (4 sizes each), orange and black which vary slightly in construction – the black ones are thicker walled, as a result the two sound slightly different.

If you’ve ever tried Azla Sedna Xelastecs you’ll know they feel very tacky/sticky which helps create a really strong seal. The Liqueur tips feel similar but thankfully nowhere near to the same extent, as I could never get along with the Xelastecs for that reason. Instead they’re much closer to regular silicone, but sized quite large – the largest are actually too big for my ears, whereas I typically use the largest size on most eartips. Good news if you’re someone who struggles to find tips large enough.

Both the orange & black versions are quite soft & comfortable, in my early tests the orange tips seem to emphasise upper midrange more & sound a bit airier than the blacks, which highlight midbass and seem a bit darker. I turned on my very noisy robovac to conduct some noise tests, and the black versions in particular are superb at creating a very strong seal – they seem to isolate better than any other tips in my collection (except Xelastecs which I don't like) so I plan to use them on public transport.

ISN Neo3s are extremely light, I wouldn’t call them small but they’re very comfortable as the stems are long enough that the portion of the shells that makes contact with my ears is fairly slender. As expected from an ISN IEM they’re very bassy with sub bass that goes quite deep, but I wouldn’t call it exaggerated or excessively dominant. In fact they sound quite balanced, even polite.

Compared to the Neo1s I recently reviewed the Neo3s have a much wider soundstage, are smoother & less shouty with a greater sense of refinement. The Neo5s by contrast feel more bass dominant than the Neo3s, with a much slower DD bass driver. They’re also brighter, more dynamic & v-shaped whereas the Neo3s are more neutral. I’ve quickly A/Bed the Neo3s against the NiceHCK F1 Pros which are also much brighter and perhaps faster but don’t sound as natural.

Penon OS133 USB-C Dongle is on the smaller & more ergonomic side of dongles I’ve tried over the years, and is way less expensive than those I use – however I’m very much a DAP lover out & about, and only ever use dongles with my laptop. However for maximum portability the OS133’s design is much less burdensome than the usual dongle form factor, and feels like plugging an IEM directly into your phone with a slightly longer & heavier cable.

Sonically the OS133 isn't as refined as the Penon Tail, with a background that’s not quite as black & instruments that aren’t as separated, though the OS133 has more emphasised sub bass and is more v-shaped overall which is going to suit energetic genres, whereas by contrast the Tail is fairly neutral.

Swapping to the far more expensive RU7 unlocks a whole new level of refinement with a more analogue tonality, though for some reason I find my iPhone 15 Pro’s USB-C port doesn’t do any of these dongles full justice – they all sound much better through my Macbook for some reason… but for $35 the OS133 feels like a super convenient way to use IEMs through my phone.

Penon ASOS+ Cable is identical to the regular ASOS I recently reviewed, except the ASOS’ modular plug & 2pin connectors have been replaced by a higher quality ‘purple copper’ plug & 2pin connectors with the ASOS+. As someone who’s DIYed my own IEM cables I’m well aware connector quality (especially 4.4mm plugs) can have a substantial impact on performance but have never had the chance to A/B identical cables where only the connectors differ.

After briefly comparing the ASOS+ with the ASOS on the ISN Neo5s, I find the ASOS+ has better dynamics, improved note weight & deeper bass. Vocals sound smaller & more recessed on the ASOS, everything feels more mechanical and less organic whereas the ASOS+ feels much more direct with music flowing more effortlessly.

This lines up with my prior experiences with modular friction-fit connectors - that they tend to rob musicality. For an extra $46 I’d strongly recommend spending the extra on the ASOS+ if you’re considering purchasing either cable, as I would personally never dream of purchasing an expensive cable with friction-fit connectors because what you gain in convenience IMHO simply isn’t worth putting up with sound that's more robotic, mechanical & less natural. Of course it’s easy for me to say that given all my IEMs use 2pin connectors and my sources have 4.4mm sockets, but that’s very much by design.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #13,312 of 13,652
1710695524287.png
1710695538347.png
1710695552413.png

Ok, I received the Feat two days ago and they have been stuck in my ears ever since.
Their musicality is very bassy and juicy, the double DD is incredible and delivers one of the most vibrant, dense, deep and addictive bass I have ever heard. I thought that the Quattro was amazing in this regard, but the Feat offers less resonance and thicker flexibility, the bass lines are magnified in physical presence, we follow their fundamental tone more than the bite of the harmonic, it's alive and elastic, and not just boosted in the sub bass, we have an authoritarian and round attack from the mid bass too, the kick is round, the sub bass too, and they coexist together in a muscular dynamic.

The mids are soft and warm, not too flat, the female vocals are natural and without a high harmonic point distorting their timbre for the benefit of the clarity of their presence, it is broad, creamy and enveloping and well placed over the bass.

The highs are dark but not faded or too static, the percussions are well separated but not super bright or sharp. This means that the snare does not pierce the ear as well, but it is easy to appreciate.

The spatiality is vast and immersive, very holographic, the listener finds himself mixed in a multi-layered tapestry of sound.

The tonal balance approaches a W shape, warm and dark, where the bass dominates the dynamics without overflowing towards the front, this affects the background darkness.

The Quattro are more U shaped, I haven't made a direct comparison with the ISN Neo3, but it seems quite similar, with warmer and less striking bass....

Real ear candy and a big crush for me. Now I want to hear all the IEMs using this dual coaxial driver!

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #13,314 of 13,652
1710695524287.png1710695538347.png1710695552413.png

Ok, I received the Feat two days ago and they have been stuck in my ears ever since.
Their musicality is very bassy and juicy, the double DD is incredible and delivers one of the most vibrant, dense, deep and addictive bass I have ever heard. I thought that the Quattro was amazing in this regard, but the Feat offers less resonance and thicker flexibility, the bass lines are magnified in physical presence, we follow their fundamental tone more than the bite of the harmonic, it's alive and elastic, and not just boosted in the sub bass, we have an authoritarian and round attack from the mid bass too, the kick is round, the sub bass too, and they coexist together in a muscular dynamic.

The mids are soft and warm, not too flat, the female vocals are natural and without a high harmonic point distorting their timbre for the benefit of the clarity of their presence, it is broad, creamy and enveloping and well placed over the bass.

The highs are dark but not faded or too static, the percussions are well separated but not super bright or sharp. This means that the snare does not pierce the ear as well, but it is easy to appreciate.

The spatiality is vast and immersive, very holographic, the listener finds himself mixed in a multi-layered tapestry of sound.

The tonal balance approaches a W shape, warm and dark, where the bass dominates the dynamics without overflowing towards the front, this affects the background darkness.

The Quattro are more U shaped, I haven't made a direct comparison with the ISN Neo3, but it seems quite similar, with warmer and less striking bass....

Real ear candy and a big crush for me. Now I want to hear all the IEMs using this dual coaxial driver!
Do you own either the TSMR X or the Penon 10th AE, and if so how does the Feat compare?

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #13,315 of 13,652
Do you own either the TSMR X or the Penon 10th AE, and if so how does the Feat compare?
yes i have both, 10th is more W shape, its sub bass isnt as extended, thick and boosted, Feat is warmer, more bassy and darker.
Mids are smoother and more pleasant male and female vocal wise, not as boosted in upper mids it seem, overal balance is more cohesive in timbre with Feat but treble isn't as speedy and snappy nor as airy. Feat is more laid back and fatigue free for long listening, i never consider 10th very bright but compared to Feat it is.
Soundstage is bigger with 10th, notably deeper.
i prefer bass and mids color and presence of Feat, while 10th offer higher technical performance and resolution, treble part is biggest different as well as sub bass rumble is thinner, more sucked up.
Feat is more similar to Quattro and bassier ISN Neo3, again, i prefer warm vocal of Feat over those 2 even if not perfect in intelligibility of each words, when you tame sibilance part it stole a bit of word articulation sharpness too...

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #13,317 of 13,652
yes i have both, 10th is more W shape, its sub bass isnt as extended, thick and boosted, Feat is warmer, more bassy and darker.
Mids are smoother and more pleasant male and female vocal wise, not as boosted in upper mids it seem, overal balance is more cohesive in timbre with Feat but treble isn't as speedy and snappy nor as airy. Feat is more laid back and fatigue free for long listening, i never consider 10th very bright but compared to Feat it is.
Soundstage is bigger with 10th, notably deeper.
i prefer bass and mids color and presence of Feat, while 10th offer higher technical performance and resolution, treble part is biggest different as well as sub bass rumble is thinner, more sucked up.
Feat is more similar to Quattro and bassier ISN Neo3, again, i prefer warm vocal of Feat over those 2 even if not perfect in intelligibility of each words, when you tame sibilance part it stole a bit of word articulation sharpness too...
Thank you!

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #13,319 of 13,652
Penon’s Renata is quite simply another success cable story
✅ comfortable, out and about use is possible on this set
✅ extremely pliable, soft despite its massive gauge
✅ Colour scheme makes it visually disappear in the dark and shade
✅ I confirm this enlarges the staging by a considerable margin (alright, it’s night and day compared to some cables)
✅ Expanding the above parameter, concert hall stage height is possible - no exaggeration
✅ Agile sonic properties without going out of proportion
✅ Above average resolving power (ok, again a night and day difference here, too)
✅ You’ll surely love the bass texture and overall resolution improvements
✅ The neutral with a touch lushness in the mids is a (very) tasty one
✅ Your trebles will remain resolving

IMG_6570.jpeg

I’m listening to TCB’s
For that beautiful feeling album,
And it says something about them a lot…

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #13,320 of 13,652
Anyone tried Black or Orange Liqueur on Fan2?
I use size Small with stock blue and grey/green tips. Is size Small on Liqueur equivalent with size Small on the stock tips?
L/XL is usually my size, but with Fan 2 I need the deep fit, thus size Small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back