The PENON official thread
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #13,321 of 13,646
Anyone tried Black or Orange Liqueur on Fan2?
I use size Small with stock blue and grey/green tips. Is size Small on Liqueur equivalent with size Small on the stock tips?
L/XL is usually my size, but with Fan 2 I need the deep fit, thus size Small.
looks to be a smidge larger than the black & greens and a smidge smaller than the blue foams. highly recommend them, a bargain compared to many aftermarket tips and less obnoxiously sticky than xelastics.
20240323_171517.jpg
20240323_171139.jpg
20240323_171153.jpg

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #13,323 of 13,646

I've just finished reviewing the Penon Liqueur eartips, which you're invited to read here. :smile:

They come in orange & black, both slightly different - thoroughly recommend the black versions if you need tips with top-notch isolation.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #13,325 of 13,646
Lots of high quality reviews on your site. Great reading!
Thank you - that's terrific to hear you've enjoyed my contributions, I've been lucky to review some awesome products.

Actually there's so many great choices at every price point these days that it's never cost less to put together a great system. We're in a golden age of portable audio. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #13,326 of 13,646
Thank you - that's terrific to hear you've enjoyed my contributions, I've been lucky to review some awesome products.

Actually there's so many great choices at every price point these days that it's never cost less to put together a great system. We're in a golden age of portable audio. :ksc75smile:
Yeah, recent years I've been using overears, but a year ago I got back into IEMs again, couldn't resist those shiny colourful little toys, lol.
It's really crazy what you get for your hard earned nowadays. Cheers!

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #13,327 of 13,646
My first Penon is on the way, Quattro should be here before Easter. Looking forward to trying it out, I think it’ll suit my preferences!

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #13,329 of 13,646
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #13,330 of 13,646
Many thanks @Penon for organizing a loan unit of the Quattro. Really looking forward to spending time with them after a proper burn-in period and to post my impressions later on. The shells look fantastic and the selection of eartips is truly excellent.

IMG_0507.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #13,331 of 13,646
I got the Penon Dome a few days ago. I am sharing my brief impression of the initial time spent with the Dome.

First of all, I think Penon definitely has some special sauce that they put in their IEMs. I reviewed the Quattro a few weeks ago, and this is my second Penon iem. Quattro, as we all know, is a very bold and differently tuned iem and has been loved by many. Dome has a very different tuning than that of Quattro. Dome has a warm signature, but not as warm as Quattro. It is more of a musical set than a technical one. The timbre is very natural. There is plenty of bass, very sweet mids, and an inoffensive treble.

The bass on Dome is rich and warm and has good thickness. It has a very good impact and plenty of quantity, with good layering and texture. However, it's not the most refined bass; it is more about adding to the musicality. There is a decent subbass presence, and it's plenty when called for. The bassline from something like a bass guitar is quite pleasant. The bass on Dome is not boomy or bloated in nature, or the kind of bass that sort of eclipses the higher frequencies. This bass is quite different than that of Quattro, where there is more of an analogish character and the bass envelopes the higher frequencies.

The mids on Dome are all about warmth and sweetness. There is a very decent resolution and clarity in the midrange. The lower midrange has a decent body to it. The upper mids are well extended and maintain a decent amount of energy. At no point did I find it to be peaky or extra sharp. I find the mids quite forward. Vocals have good texture. There is loads of sweetness in the female vocals. Midrange instruments have a very sweet and lifelike presentation. I prefer this midrange over Quattro.

Treble on Dome is not quite airy, but the details and energy are decent. Dome is good for people who don't want any unwanted sharpness and want a safer treble profile. This treble may not be well appreciated by trebleheads, though. I find it decent, as it really makes a case for longer sessions.

On the technical front, the soundstage is quite decent, with a lot of width and decent depth. There is a good separation of instruments; however, for busy musical sequences such as the metal genre, there is some lacking. Imaging is just decent, and there is nothing to complain about given the price of this iem.

I tried Dome with three different sources. The LPGT has a very decent synergy with the Dome. I quite liked the pairing with Quloos MUB1 too. There is such a sweetness in the sound of this pair; I absolutely love it. With Earmen Angel, I did not find the Dome paired well, so I assume Dome does not need extra power. The dynamics are better at lower levels of power.

I find Penon went for the musical route with the Dome. The bass and mids are really appreciable, and the non-fatiguing nature of the highs can let one enjoy music for a very long time. I still have to do some cable rolling. The cable that comes with Dome has decent synergy, but I still think the cable could be a little better, something like the one that comes with Quattro. I will try it with new EA Code cables and see if things get any better. For the ear tips, I find Tangzu Sancai tips to fit really well.

Sharing some pics:

d3.jpeg

d2.jpeg

d1.jpeg

d4.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #13,332 of 13,646
I got the Penon Dome a few days ago. I am sharing my brief impression of the initial time spent with the Dome.

First of all, I think Penon definitely has some special sauce that they put in their IEMs. I reviewed the Quattro a few weeks ago, and this is my second Penon iem. Quattro, as we all know, is a very bold and differently tuned iem and has been loved by many. Dome has a very different tuning than that of Quattro. Dome has a warm signature, but not as warm as Quattro. It is more of a musical set than a technical one. The timbre is very natural. There is plenty of bass, very sweet mids, and an inoffensive treble.

The bass on Dome is rich and warm and has good thickness. It has a very good impact and plenty of quantity, with good layering and texture. However, it's not the most refined bass; it is more about adding to the musicality. There is a decent subbass presence, and it's plenty when called for. The bassline from something like a bass guitar is quite pleasant. The bass on Dome is not boomy or bloated in nature, or the kind of bass that sort of eclipses the higher frequencies. This bass is quite different than that of Quattro, where there is more of an analogish character and the bass envelopes the higher frequencies.

The mids on Dome are all about warmth and sweetness. There is a very decent resolution and clarity in the midrange. The lower midrange has a decent body to it. The upper mids are well extended and maintain a decent amount of energy. At no point did I find it to be peaky or extra sharp. I find the mids quite forward. Vocals have good texture. There is loads of sweetness in the female vocals. Midrange instruments have a very sweet and lifelike presentation. I prefer this midrange over Quattro.

Treble on Dome is not quite airy, but the details and energy are decent. Dome is good for people who don't want any unwanted sharpness and want a safer treble profile. This treble may not be well appreciated by trebleheads, though. I find it decent, as it really makes a case for longer sessions.

On the technical front, the soundstage is quite decent, with a lot of width and decent depth. There is a good separation of instruments; however, for busy musical sequences such as the metal genre, there is some lacking. Imaging is just decent, and there is nothing to complain about given the price of this iem.

I tried Dome with three different sources. The LPGT has a very decent synergy with the Dome. I quite liked the pairing with Quloos MUB1 too. There is such a sweetness in the sound of this pair; I absolutely love it. With Earmen Angel, I did not find the Dome paired well, so I assume Dome does not need extra power. The dynamics are better at lower levels of power.

I find Penon went for the musical route with the Dome. The bass and mids are really appreciable, and the non-fatiguing nature of the highs can let one enjoy music for a very long time. I still have to do some cable rolling. The cable that comes with Dome has decent synergy, but I still think the cable could be a little better, something like the one that comes with Quattro. I will try it with new EA Code cables and see if things get any better. For the ear tips, I find Tangzu Sancai tips to fit really well.

Sharing some pics:

this is my impression reading this review: Penon is not making anymore iems that has the appeal that used to have the ones of the past. A lot of good/excited word have been written many years ago about globe, orb serial and volt ( i read all the penon thread form pag1!), but actually for a new product we read such words as "decent". I won't buy anything described as decent (DOME costs 349usd ...Cough Cough Cough) will you? quattro is not a step forward Serial (serial coul be improved with better highs and more refinement in mids... but quattro is warmer than Serial!?!); dome is better than globe? tsmr feat (2dd-2ba knowles)..... maybe is surclassed by ziigaat doscinco (2dd 2ba sonion 1knowles). penon 10 is orrible looking and is a fan2 with est, penon turbo (who bought it?). No more appeal comes from Penon and prices are non more competitive as used to be. There is some tiredness i feel in the new production and lately vip discounts are peanuts.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #13,333 of 13,646
this is my impression reading this review: Penon is not making anymore iems that has the appeal that used to have the ones of the past. A lot of good/excited word have been written many years ago about globe, orb serial and volt ( i read all the penon thread form pag1!), but actually for a new product we read such words as "decent". I won't buy anything described as decent (DOME costs 349usd ...Cough Cough Cough) will you? quattro is not a step forward Serial (serial coul be improved with better highs and more refinement in mids... but quattro is warmer than Serial!?!); dome is better than globe? tsmr feat (2dd-2ba knowles)..... maybe is surclassed by ziigaat doscinco (2dd 2ba sonion 1knowles). penon 10 is orrible looking and is a fan2 with est, penon turbo (who bought it?). No more appeal comes from Penon and prices are non more competitive as used to be. There is some tiredness i feel in the new production and lately vip discounts are peanuts.
I would agree on that they need to up their game.

I got the DOME and didn't like it. The 10AE looks are not the best, but they are far from horrible, to me, and they make up for it with sound.

They're players coming hard into the value proposition, just wait for what EPZ has to offer shortly.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #13,334 of 13,646
All the iems that you have mentioned here, I never tried them. I have tried Quattro and now Dome as the second Penon iem. I find Dome quite decent. There are so many people who like Quattro. It is definitely a decent release, quite a bold release I believe. For me these are nice introductions for Penon as a brand. I still believe the price is justified for these two iems. It’s a different matter if they are upgrade over the earlier releases or not. If at all sound on Dome/Quattro is upgraded, that may need a price bump which may not align with what Penon wants.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #13,335 of 13,646
I would agree on that they need to up their game.

I got the DOME and didn't like it. The 10AE looks are not the best, but they are far from horrible, to me, and they make up for it with sound.

They're players coming hard into the value proposition, just wait for what EPZ has to offer shortly.
I agree - I have dozens of IEMs and the 10th AE is my favorite, so much so that I have two. But not all Penon’s, or anyone else’s, IEMs are going to appeal to everyone. The Quattro as I have said previously, does not do it for me.

The best any of us can hope for is that Penon and others will put out IEMs that target a range of fit, aesthetics, and most importantly sound, and that each of us will find something that matches our needs and wants. And I think Penon does this well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back