The PENON official thread
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #13,636 of 13,784
Never heard any of the AuR Audio IEMs so I have no idea. Would love to check out their stuff but I am sure they have reviewers that does their reviews for them.

I believe that AuR essentially opt out of the whole tour/review/advertising thing and rely largely on word of mouth and reviews from folks that bought the products themselves maybe at a modest discount.

They have been criticised for adopting that approach but I personally applaud it and find it a hugely refreshing change.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #13,637 of 13,784
I believe that AuR essentially opt out of the whole tour/review/advertising thing and rely largely on word of mouth and reviews from folks that bought the products themselves maybe at a modest discount.

They have been criticised for adopting that approach but I personally applaud it and find it a hugely refreshing change.
I think that is also due to them being a very small team so they can't really churn out iems at a fast rate like other companies.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #13,638 of 13,784
I think that is also due to them being a very small team so they can't really churn out iems at a fast rate like other companies.
A tour is one copy and they can rely on experienced organizers after sending it.
The reviews of a successful tour is worth a whole marketing campain.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #13,639 of 13,784
A tour is one copy and they can rely on experienced organizers after sending it.
The reviews of a successful tour is worth a whole marketing campain.
I definitely agree that more companies should tour their units around because word of mouth is huge in this hobby. But at the end of the day each company gets to decide how they want to conduct their business and I guess AuR just doesn't want to do that.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #13,640 of 13,784
Been out of the game for a while now, but came back to hear, Penon Quattro, it was a smooth departure from the usual penon signature i have had heard. This felt different but trying out cables Ares S 8W seemed to have an good effect on it, any body have experiences with silver cable ??

BTW my review is here, do let me know if any more ear-tips recommendations you have (including the names of the ones I used 😂)
EDIT- Its CP 100 the one i liked

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #13,641 of 13,784

They have been very consistent with their approach since they showed up. I fully respect their decisions, it's their business.

It does result in a lot fewer reviews and significantly less exposure, with most being from "AüRists" so you're not hearing as much from the more well rounded listener or reviewer. There are some, just far less than most other similarly situated brands that do tour their units.

I would say that Nightjar, Symphonium, FatFreq and other 1-2 person outfits in Singapore that slip my mind, are similar to AüR. While Nightjar is an expensive brand, the others all compete directly in the AüR price bracket and none are inferior to AüR.

TLDR, I'm surprised they haven't reconsidered their decision and decided to put some units on tour (I know they were invited to provide whatever they wanted to the Watercooler tour and they declined citing their policy). They could break free from just the AüRist and hit the wider audiophile community as all of their competitors do.
Been out of the game for a while now, but came back to hear, Penon Quattro, it was a smooth departure from the usual penon signature i have had heard. This felt different but trying out cables Ares S 8W seemed to have an good effect on it, any body have experiences with silver cable ??

BTW my review is here, do let me know if any more ear-tips recommendations you have (including the names of the ones I used 😂)
EDIT- Its CP 100 the one i liked
Yeah, I love Quattro with SPC, in particular, the EA Code 24 and silver/copper hybrid, the Penon Renata.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #13,642 of 13,784
I definitely agree that more companies should tour their units around because word of mouth is huge in this hobby. But at the end of the day each company gets to decide how they want to conduct their business and I guess AuR just doesn't want to do that.

I can only assume they sell as many IEM as they want using their existing marketing approach, or more accurately with their current lack of marketing.

They were criticised for not doing the usual tour for Head Fi folks but I would assume they simply couldn’t meet a significant increase in demand if such a tour resulted in a lot of orders in a short period of time.

As you said, they are a small company with only one person actually designing, tuning and making the IEM and perhaps they have no intention to be any bigger than they are.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #13,643 of 13,784
They have been very consistent with their approach since they showed up. I fully respect their decisions, it's their business.

It does result in a lot fewer reviews and significantly less exposure, with most being from "AüRists" so you're not hearing as much from the more well rounded listener or reviewer. There are some, just far less than most other similarly situated brands that do tour their units.

I would say that Nightjar, Symphonium, FatFreq and other 1-2 person outfits in Singapore that slip my mind, are similar to AüR. While Nightjar is an expensive brand, the others all compete directly in the AüR price bracket and none are inferior to AüR.

TLDR, I'm surprised they haven't reconsidered their decision and decided to put some units on tour (I know they were invited to provide whatever they wanted to the Watercooler tour and they declined citing their policy). They could break free from just the AüRist and hit the wider audiophile community as all of their competitors do.

Yeah, I love Quattro with SPC, in particular, the EA Code 24 and silver/copper hybrid, the Penon Renata.
I need to check the CODE 24 and Renata
Thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #13,644 of 13,784

I think that is all that needs to be said.

Nobody but them knows the motivation for the approach they take. They are notably absent from any activity on Head Fi and the usual advertising, tour and review process here. The AuR thread is just conversation by users. Perhaps they have specific reasons not to be involved with the usual promotion on Head Fi.

I am not convinced that all reviews on Head Fi are ‘well rounded’ but that isn’t a conversation that is appropriate here or even allowed.

This stuff is unrelated to this forum so should probably be left alone.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #13,645 of 13,784
IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7172.jpeg

To my ears, the new gateway to the flagships of the portable world…

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #13,646 of 13,784
1714246919339.png

Voltage vs the 10th. So the bass end of the Voltage is definitely an upgraded version of whata on the 10th anniversary. With both switches in the up position, I mentioned the Voltage reminded me of the 10th anniversary tuning. So both sets represents Penons version of the V tuning but both are mild in comparison to what is the norm in IEM land.

In double switch mode the voltage is the big boss version of the 10th anniversary. Simple and plain. A clue to what the bass end is doing is that they both uses similar biofilm dynamics where the 10th is using smaller 6mm crystalline plated biofilm dynamics and the Voltage using fiber composite biofilm 8mm dynamics with a new flexible hanging edge diaphragm. Not only does the size here make a difference but the physical nature of the bass end is different. 10th using a single Sonon BA for mids and 1 knowles BA for highs and 2 Sonion ESTs. 4 way crossover but uses 3 sound tubes separating the 3 zones for sound. The ESTs and Knowles BA handling the highs through one of the channels.

Voltage once again using 4 sound bores. The 4ESTs this time gets its own sound bore to the ear in comparison. Two BAs handling the mids and two handing the trebles.

The Voltage adds a bit more warmth has greater bass fullness and sub bass impact, has more substantial lower mids emphasis vs the 10th. 10th is more mid bass focused and the Voltage is a bit more sub bass focused. The 10th Mid trebles is actually more emphasized vs the better-balanced Voltage trebles. This shifts the tonal character on the 10th to be just a touch brighter in tonal character vs the Voltage more natural balanced - to a warmer tonal character based on which switch you use. Both have excellent stage but the Voltage has the leg up on note weight, fullness with greater depth of sound in comparison. While both sets sound more dimensional than flat the Voltage here is clearly showing that it is a superior IEM. I never thought the 10th anniversary was a thinner sounding IEM but in comparison to the Voltage its tonal shift is a touch brighter and does sound a bit thinner in note weight.

Where these two share the most similarities is in how they fit. The shell shape is very identical with the Voltage being a bit bulker but their shapes are very much the same. Considering the Voltage uses almost double the drivers with bigger dynamics. That is pretty remarkable what Penon was able to fit inside what is essentially the same shells as the 10th anniversary.

If you took one part 10th, one part impact, one-part Volts= You get something close to what the Voltage represents.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #13,647 of 13,784
1714246919339.png

Voltage vs the 10th. So the bass end of the Voltage is definitely an upgraded version of whata on the 10th anniversary. With both switches in the up position, I mentioned the Voltage reminded me of the 10th anniversary tuning. So both sets represents Penons version of the V tuning but both are mild in comparison to what is the norm in IEM land.

In double switch mode the voltage is the big boss version of the 10th anniversary. Simple and plain. A clue to what the bass end is doing is that they both uses similar biofilm dynamics where the 10th is using smaller 6mm crystalline plated biofilm dynamics and the Voltage using fiber composite biofilm 8mm dynamics with a new flexible hanging edge diaphragm. Not only does the size here make a difference but the physical nature of the bass end is different. 10th using a single Sonon BA for mids and 1 knowles BA for highs and 2 Sonion ESTs. 4 way crossover but uses 3 sound tubes separating the 3 zones for sound. The ESTs and Knowles BA handling the highs through one of the channels.

Voltage once again using 4 sound bores. The 4ESTs this time gets its own sound bore to the ear in comparison. Two BAs handling the mids and two handing the trebles.

The Voltage adds a bit more warmth has greater bass fullness and sub bass impact, has more substantial lower mids emphasis vs the 10th. 10th is more mid bass focused and the Voltage is a bit more sub bass focused. The 10th Mid trebles is actually more emphasized vs the better-balanced Voltage trebles. This shifts the tonal character on the 10th to be just a touch brighter in tonal character vs the Voltage more natural balanced - to a warmer tonal character based on which switch you use. Both have excellent stage but the Voltage has the leg up on note weight, fullness with greater depth of sound in comparison. While both sets sound more dimensional than flat the Voltage here is clearly showing that it is a superior IEM. I never thought the 10th anniversary was a thinner sounding IEM but in comparison to the Voltage its tonal shift is a touch brighter and does sound a bit thinner in note weight.

Where these two share the most similarities is in how they fit. The shell shape is very identical with the Voltage being a bit bulker but their shapes are very much the same. Considering the Voltage uses almost double the drivers with bigger dynamics. That is pretty remarkable what Penon was able to fit inside what is essentially the same shells as the 10th anniversary.

If you took one part 10th, one part impact, one-part Volts= You get something close to what the Voltage represents.
Thanks @Dsnuts

it does sound like an upgrade to the 10AE, so both switches up are essential to make the Voltage shine.

I am genuinely looking forward to acquiring the Voltage, if appropriately priced.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #13,649 of 13,784
And what would be the appropriate price? 500 dollars? I need Voltage... 😄👍🏻
the Volt is 800 dollars, setting yourself up for disappointment expecting anything less than that for a starting price.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #13,650 of 13,784
And what would be the appropriate price? 500 dollars? I need Voltage... 😄👍🏻
That Would be amazing! LOL

I am looking at the price of the Volt 799$ and considering the Voltage as an iteration/companion, around that price. I would also hope even for a little less at this time. Based on the IEMs coming out with similar configurations.

Course Penon can price them as they see fit; the market will determine their sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back