The PENON official thread
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #4,636 of 13,813

New budget friendly Silver plated OFC cable Penon OS133. These are now Penons most affordable branded cables at $39. Good looking cables. Will report when I get a set.

Accessories on this cable matches what came with the Penons highest end cables the Storms.

Interesting looking connectors, might that be qdc? I’m liking that OS133 already!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #4,637 of 13,813
I would love if this would be a compatible option with the free PAC earbuds, but I understand that'd be a bit cheeky/much to ask! They're already very generous with their combos and gifts.

Wondering if you get the PAC buds if you order the cables?

Looking forward to hearing the PAC and the Vortex when they are ready. New Penon IEM is always exciting.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #4,638 of 13,813
DSC09754.JPG

PAC earbud in the house with new Totem dac dongle. Sounds great together. Bit of a surprise is the FR on the PAC buds
Bassy yes but overall balanced well. Nice freebee bud from Penon. Will do some cable rolling real soon to match up with. them
1650599143208.jpeg

AS per the dac. I got the 4.4mm out via USB-C. I doubt it is a true balanced out but for what it does it makes your onboard sound from your phones sound like it has an AKM chip inside. Analoguish smooth in presentation. Good body to the sound yet neutral overall. I can clearly tell the Totem material having an influence on this dongle sound signature. For folks that just use their phones to listen to music with. Even though this isn't a full-fledged DAC/ amp dongle. If your just using buds or earphones. This little dongle will give you a bit of that Penon musical flavoring to your phone music out. Totem material here FTW yet again. Not exactly sure how much they will be selling this dongle for but. I bet it won't be much above the current adapters they sell now.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #4,640 of 13,813
Wondering if you get the PAC buds if you order the cables?

Looking forward to hearing the PAC and the Vortex when they are ready. New Penon IEM is always exciting.

IMG_20220316_175650.jpg

Even with the Volt out for some time, there's a very strong polarity pull coming from the Serials. They are both in daily rotations.
Simply put, they represent very high value for money.

IMG_20220418_101247.jpg

IMG_20220418_102024.jpg

Attachments

• 1650606594936.png
    1650606594936.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #4,641 of 13,813
So, now that I have settled on the Sednas for tips with my Serial I decided to see how my favorite cable pairs with them, and the first word that comes to mind is. . .WOW! :ksc75smile:

I absolutely love these iems, and think Penon really nailed it out of the park with looks, pricing and sound.

Satin Athena 8 wire and Serial

20220422_071021.jpg

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #4,642 of 13,813
So, now that I have settled on the Sednas for tips with my Serial I decided to see how one of my favorite cable pairs with them, and the first word that comes to mind is. . .WOW! :ksc75smile:

I absolutely love these iems, and think Penon really nailed it out of the park with looks, pricing and sound.

Satin Athena 8 wire and Serial

20220422_071021.jpg

Happy Listening!
Happy listening indeed! +1 on the Sedna Tips.
Was thinking of messing up the bass on them, the opposite thing happened, my jaw dropped, LOL....

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #4,644 of 13,813

I've always wondered why the Penons weren't as popular among famous YouTubers, or why their curves weren't featured in the online tools they provide. Now more people will know. You just have to see the number of visits it has had at a time. I'm happy for Penon. They have done a great job.

On the other hand, I have a cross feeling. I love music from a very young age. My mother worked in a record store and I spent my spare time there. There are songs that you like to share with friends, that everyone enjoys... and then there are other songs that you like to keep to yourself, that you enjoy alone, that you share with your closest circle of people, and that you love. Suddenly the song is played on the radio and everyone knows it. It sounds so much that they spoil that moment for you.

Something similar happened to me with the 7Hz Timeless, which I had as soon as they came out, before the hype, seeing that they were planar, and having good references from other IEMs of the company. Now I have them parked somewhere and I barely pick them up. Will the same thing happen to me with Serials? No... sure not... I like them too much!!

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,645 of 13,813
Something similar happened to me with the 7Hz Timeless, which I had as soon as they came out, before the hype, seeing that they were planar, and having good references from other IEMs of the company. Now I have them parked somewhere and I barely pick them up. Will the same thing happen to me with Serials? No... sure not... I like them too much!!
Planar fever just doesn't last. Might be exciting in the beginning for some but often they lose that love. Quite few break ups and "it's me not you" speeches and off they go to a new owner or in the drawer they go. :hugging:

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #4,646 of 13,813
Planar fever just doesn't last. Might be exciting in the beginning for some but often they lose that love. Quite few break ups and "it's me not you" speeches and off they go to a new owner or in the drawer they go. :hugging:
Well, I think that planar technology may have its niche in the market. My favorite desktop headset is planar, and I love it. Until now, miniature planar drivers for IEMs were not cheap enough to be popular. I wanted a planar in my IEM collection so I got the Timeless as soon as it came out. They don't sound bad at all, but they lack that spark of magic that the Serial or the Volt give me. Even so, I think that if in a few months planar drivers have evolved in this way, great things can be done in a short time, and the competition will help.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,647 of 13,813

Finally! Penon have been around long enough, their releases have been consistently solid and they have such a coherent house sound I always wondered why they weren’t better known. It was certainly hard finding enough detailed impressions when I was researching my first purchases from them.

Well, I think that planar technology may have its niche in the market. My favorite desktop headset is planar, and I love it. Until now, miniature planar drivers for IEMs were not cheap enough to be popular. I wanted a planar in my IEM collection so I got the Timeless as soon as it came out. They don't sound bad at all, but they lack that spark of magic that the Serial or the Volt give me. Even so, I think that if in a few months planar drivers have evolved in this way, great things can be done in a short time, and the competition will help.

Longtime planar fan here as well. I had a thing for planar headphones and couldn’t be more excited when the first miniature planars from Audeze hit the market. I was one of the first worldwide to get the iSine 20 (and we know how wonky that one turned out to be). Fast forward to the Timeless, I jumped on those as well and like you said, they aren’t bad at all - in fact they’re very good for having fixed almost everything that was wrong about the iSine at a fraction of the price - but they just don’t quite have that musicality that Serial and Volt deliver.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #4,648 of 13,813
I've always wondered why the Penons weren't as popular among famous YouTubers, or why their curves weren't featured in the online tools they provide. Now more people will know. You just have to see the number of visits it has had at a time. I'm happy for Penon. They have done a great job.

On the other hand, I have a cross feeling. I love music from a very young age. My mother worked in a record store and I spent my spare time there. There are songs that you like to share with friends, that everyone enjoys... and then there are other songs that you like to keep to yourself, that you enjoy alone, that you share with your closest circle of people, and that you love. Suddenly the song is played on the radio and everyone knows it. It sounds so much that they spoil that moment for you.

Only time will tell. Unless there's gonna be a Volt V.2 on the horizon.
By history mc dynamic drivers are very effective, extremely efficient, reliable. Their dynamic range, properly tuned timbre qualities are without a doubt very hard to beat - for more than a 100 years. Yet, ba receivers (for in ear headphone formats) still possess the excellent analytical delivery hands down...

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #4,650 of 13,813

We'd like to share the size of VORTEX.​

From the left ,VORTEX, SPHERE and Globe​

Did I miss something?! A new Penon IEM?! Looks like a very good size, nice and small like the Globe.

What's the driver configuration?

Just read back a page - single DD - nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back