The PENON official thread
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #4,621 of 13,813
I'm guessing the fact that the Fan exists means these likely won't be under 200? Either way, really eager to hear more about the Vortex. I know I've mentioned it a few times already, but I think I'm ready to finally check out some of these Penon IEMs in May/June. Partner finally found a job earlier this month which of course means that I'll have a lot more disposable income, and I've been messing around with my CA Honeydews quite a bit recently (tip-rolling and playing around with the Q5k's EQ) and have a lot of newly found appreciation for the intimacy IEMs can offer. Vocals can sound absolutely intoxicating with these even compared to my Sennheisers and Aeolus and these aren't really even meant for this sort of use, so I'm excited to try IEMs that are more geared for pleasure listening.

ninja edit:

Won't be more than usd.250...

Oh, wow. Definitely intrigued!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #4,622 of 13,813
PENON VORTEX
Single Dynamic Driver HiFi Audiophile IEM

1650534707525.png
Handmade , solid and durable
Resin shell, lightweight and comfortable
Driver: Custom 10mm diamond-like diaphragm
Sensitivity: 107 dB
Impedance: 25 ohm
Frequency response: 20-20Khz
Connecter: 2pin 0.78mm

Will be interesting to see what Vortex can bring to the table with its dlc diaphragm.
@Dsnuts getting his copy soon I hope…

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #4,624 of 13,813
Imo Isabellae sounded like a $150 V-shaped IEM with some "premium" brand pricing applied. Very FiiO-esque sound, think FD3/FD5. Keep in mind that it was manufactured by the folks who want to charge people $6k for an IEM. Very airy (thin) upper mids/lower treble, with mid treble sibilance. Was good for a select few genres, mainly acoustic. Fatiguing to listen to for long periods for me. Only point I'd give it over the Serials was the mid-bass quantity/texture, but that's personal preference.

Serials had better timbre, more natural male/female vocals and midrange. Much less lower treble although that's also a preference thing. I thought the Serial sub-bass was higher quality as well. Better overall resolution. Lower treble dip made Serials easy to listen to for longer periods.

Sounds like a more expensive, less capable UM 3DT with fewer drivers… (used to like Oriolus back in the days of MK II but it sounds like they took the feedback about its lack of treble a bit too seriously). If it’s not too off-topic, are you able to compare it with the 3DT?

Anyway it would be interesting to see how they all stack up against the new Vortex.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #4,625 of 13,813
Won't be more than usd.250...
I mean, I should hope not... given the single DD Fan costs $139 and their excellently tuned triple DD Serial costs $299.

For around $160 I would blind-buy, but I'd need some graphs and several opinions before spending $200 or over when I already have the Serial and Fan.

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,626 of 13,813
“Released within this month” is what a Penon rep said earlier this month before ghosting me when asked for more deets lol.

Not many days left…
LOL, @ least Vortex should come out before this...
1650547298631.png

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #4,627 of 13,813
Hey there, thanks for sharing about the Nyx. I have been extremely interested in that cable, and how would you compare it to the stock cable?

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask because I took one listen to the Serial with the stock cable went.. "yuck" haha. I hated it immediately. I had aftermarket cables on hand so I went along swapping the stock ones out and haven't looked back.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #4,629 of 13,813
Sounds like a more expensive, less capable UM 3DT with fewer drivers… (used to like Oriolus back in the days of MK II but it sounds like they took the feedback about its lack of treble a bit too seriously). If it’s not too off-topic, are you able to compare it with the 3DT?
FWIW, the Isa and the 3DT are my number 1 and 2 favorite IEMs of all time respectively. I find the Isa to have better tuning, more accurate timbre, less fatigue, and slightly better (though less in-your-face) technicalities than the 3DT, as well as far better fit and far worse isolation.

I look forward to the Serial likely finding a place in my top 3, perhaps displacing one or both of the aforementioned. Will be happy to provide comparisons if/when the Serial arrives.

Of course the Vortex throws a whole other wrench into this, but one thing at a time…

I don’t at all mean to horn in on Acuno’s impressions, I’m sure he has a far better ear than me, just wanted to add my two cents since DDs are sort of my wheelhouse.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #4,630 of 13,813
Maybe I'm not the best person to ask because I took one listen to the Serial with the stock cable went.. "yuck" haha. I hated it immediately. I had aftermarket cables on hand so I went along swapping the stock ones out and haven't looked back.
Cool. What did you hate about the stock cable, if you don't mind me asking? This will give me some sort of idea how the Nyx differs.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #4,631 of 13,813
FWIW, the Isa and the 3DT are my number 1 and 2 favorite IEMs of all time respectively. I find the Isa to have better tuning, more accurate timbre, less fatigue, and slightly better (though less in-your-face) technicalities than the 3DT, as well as far better fit and far worse isolation.

I look forward to the Serial likely finding a place in my top 3, perhaps displacing one or both of the aforementioned. Will be happy to provide comparisons if/when the Serial arrives.

Of course the Vortex throws a whole other wrench into this, but one thing at a time…

I don’t at all mean to horn in on Acuno’s impressions, I’m sure he has a far better ear than me, just wanted to add my two cents since DDs are sort of my wheelhouse.

FWIW as well, I love both Serial and 3DT so was just wondering how Isa might fit in there. To me, Serial and 3DT are two sides of the same coin (and there’s space in my collection for both), whereas Isa and 3DT sound like they might be more similar in terms of tuning. With Vortex round the corner demanding attention, I’m not likely to get to try Isa anytime soon and their aspirational pricing isn’t much help either, so any further comparisons are welcome and useful. At any rate, it’s certainly a great time for DDs!

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #4,632 of 13,813
FWIW as well, I love both Serial and 3DT so was just wondering how Isa might fit in there. To me, Serial and 3DT are two sides of the same coin (and there’s space in my collection for both), whereas Isa and 3DT sound like they might be more similar in terms of tuning. With Vortex round the corner demanding attention, I’m not likely to get to try Isa anytime soon and their aspirational pricing isn’t much help either, so any further comparisons are welcome and useful. At any rate, it’s certainly a great time for DDs!
I don't find the 3DT and Isa to be that similar in tuning. 3DT is more V-shaped, sub-bass rather than mid-bass biased, with more aggressive upper mids and more rolled off upper treble. Isa is more mid-centric and with less peaky, more extended treble.

Fully agree, the DD renaissance has been great!

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #4,633 of 13,813
Cool. What did you hate about the stock cable, if you don't mind me asking? This will give me some sort of idea how the Nyx differs.

I thought it made the Serial sound too rounded and lacking in micro detailing. I also felt like the staging was a bit flat and closed in. Keep in mind this was off of only one listen. I admit that I may not have given the stock cable enough of a chance so take these impressions with a grain of salt. I really think I'm not the person to get an idea about the stock cable from, but maybe initial impressions have some value too.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #4,635 of 13,813
1650565813539.png

New budget friendly Silver plated OFC cable Penon OS133. These are now Penons most affordable branded cables at $39. Good looking cables. Will report when I get a set.

Accessories on this cable matches what came with the Penons highest end cables the Storms.
1650566040810.png
I would love if this would be a compatible option with the free PAC earbuds, but I understand that'd be a bit cheeky/much to ask! They're already very generous with their combos and gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back