The PENON official thread
Jul 7, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #301 of 13,805
I also use the blue tips.
Did some measurements between blue,green (stock) and symbio W tips,and measurements indeed shows that blue tips bring out more highs than the others. I now use the blue ones om my Thieaudio L9 with good results 👍

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #302 of 13,805
1594149529645.png

On "Vapour trail", the Orbs captured very well percussion, vocal & those lovely strings near the end of track.
Coherence, instruments intertwining are noteworthy as well as very good handling of clashes on "Nowhere".
I use the old spiral dots...

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #303 of 13,805
I have the impression that Orb is close to the Custom Art Fibae Black in tonality. If Orb have a slight more extension in highs I'm all in!
Just compared the FIBAE Black and Orb. Your impression is spot-on. Guess you are in for the Orb. 😂

IMG_20200708_080653_136.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #304 of 13,805
I also use the blue tips.
Did some measurements between blue,green (stock) and symbio W tips,and measurements indeed shows that blue tips bring out more highs than the others. I now use the blue ones om my Thieaudio L9 with good results 👍

I need this blue tips. My ORB never came with them. Only green and red stemmed ones were included.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #306 of 13,805
I need this blue tips. My ORB never came with them. Only green and red stemmed ones were included.
Can you post a picture of the red stemmed tips? I helped you ask and was informed that the blue stemmed tips are now orange stemmed.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #307 of 13,805
Can you post a picture of the red stemmed tips? I helped you ask and was informed that the blue stemmed tips are now orange stemmed.

Ok got it. Orange stemmed ones are included. Listening to it now and I can confirm they do have more treble.
Red stemmed one is only one medium sized and it came pre installed. Pictured below..

IMG_20200707_234452.jpg

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #308 of 13,805

On "Vapour trail", the Orbs captured very well percussion, vocal & those lovely strings near the end of track.
Coherence, instruments intertwining are noteworthy as well as very good handling of clashes on "Nowhere".
I use the old spiral dots...

Speaking of this and why i wish i had the H40s still to compare. This could just be that i was in-tune when listening with the orbs but they have really good imaging of drums. I did notice when comparing (and this goes for all my iems) that the drums were widest on the orb.

I can easily picture myself behind the kit and tom sweeps and placement along with cymbal strikes and locations make sense.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #309 of 13,805
I was looking for an EDC iem and I chanced upon orb. I caved and bought it. I was pleasantly surprised at the iem.

What I like about it:

Bass: the bass texture is really good, and as expected of a dynamic driver. It is well tuned and not overwhelming.

Mids: I like how full bodied it is. How can one complain about it? The separation is good too.

Highs: I enjoy that the highs aren’t sharp. It’s easy to listen to for a longer period of time

Tldr: is it worth the purchase? Hell yes.

CA9C88AE-9819-4975-88AB-07AC4DE17CAC.jpeg

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #310 of 13,805
I'm liking the blue stock tips a lot. Using a toxic cables SPC but finding the treble a little blunted/overly smooth. I was just thinking to use a silver cable when I read your post! I'll try that next.
Speaking of toxic cables, just paired the Orb with Toxic Medusa & Spiral Dot++. Great synergy.

photo_2020-07-08_23-21-09.jpg

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #311 of 13,805
Speaking of this and why i wish i had the H40s still to compare. This could just be that i was in-tune when listening with the orbs but they have really good imaging of drums. I did notice when comparing (and this goes for all my iems) that the drums were widest on the orb.

I can easily picture myself behind the kit and tom sweeps and placement along with cymbal strikes and locations make sense.

Would you mind trying Chocolate Chip Trip track from Tool's latest album? About past 2 mins, drums are pleasant to hear on the Orb.

Also try Fazer's Twin Drum track from Nadi album. Actually, almost all tracks from that album showcases drums really well.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #312 of 13,805
Would you mind trying Chocolate Chip Trip track from Tool's latest album? About past 2 mins, drums are pleasant to hear on the Orb.

Also try Fazer's Twin Drum track from Nadi album. Actually, almost all tracks from that album showcases drums really well.
Good song rec. The drums are very pleasant on the Orb.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #313 of 13,805

TOOL - Chocolate Chip Trip
Dana's kit is so unique i had to pull up a picture of it.

A lot going on in this song so i'll pick some snippets i enjoyed. Since he stacks a lot of cymbals he has tons of different sounding bell hits and i only just realized how many bells he has stacked so im not going to comment on that.

His drums are recorded very naturally and you can feel each thunderous kick drum. You get a real sense of space on his tom sweeps @ 2:39 where he is sweeping left to right and right to left. His patent double bass (can hear the two different kick drums distinctly) at 2:52. Another good example of tom sweep is at 4:10 the space of all 4 toms (tom, roto, floor, floor) and their angles is nice.

Fazer - Nadi

Edit* ok. I thought the bands name was frazer so most of my descriptions about drum setup is wrong.

The one odd thing is in recordings you rarely (imo) can tell a lefty from a righty. The tracks still plays hi-hats in left channel (ear) regardless. And in this case we have a lefty drummer.

In the beginnig of the song i thought this was a snare drum with the bands off but the sound was odd. I looked at his drumset, a lefty! Again, with the odd recording of lefty's, you definitely hear the snare on the right and his tom on the right.

He has a tiny 4 piece kit and from what i can tell (since it sounds like more drums) is in the beginning he is palm muted his tom to get two distinct tones. The recording definitely sounds jazzy or big bandy. Going back to what i said about recording. You can hear the snare drum on the right and the tom on the right.

Then you go to Jetty and he seems to be playing two snares (left and right with centering) and his hats are on the left and floor tom on right with high tom on the left...bonkers. Then later in the song it seems reversed but hats remain on the left. I'd be curious to see a video of this and i wonder if they just layered two tracks of drums on this song. Real good feel of his tom and kick pattern in the beginning. That was an enveloping track.

With recordings like these it makes you wish the orb had more upper-end grunt to hear all those resonants decaying etc

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #314 of 13,805
Been trying to fine tune the Orbs a bit more. Did some more tip rolling. Ended up with these.
1594236780554.png

So I do noticed just how finicky the Orbs are with tips. What is unusual about them is that your traditional wider bores are not the best for these at all. In fact it is the opposite. The Spinfit CP145 has a slightly narrower opening than the stock blue stemmed tips. These spinfits have a 3mm opening vs 3.5mm of the Symbio W or the stock blue tips and with a longer stem.

Long story short. I no longer feel treble is laging behind the mids and the bass. If you have these tips in your tip box. Give these a try. While the stock blue stemmed or orange stemmed tips does a good job not hiding the treble end. These CP145 bring out that treble energy hidden in all them big bold mid section of the Orbs.

To be fair I am using the ISN AG8 silver cable as well. I will post a pick later of this combo. But for now If you have them give these a try on your Orbs.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #315 of 13,805
Been trying to fine tune the Orbs a bit more. Did some more tip rolling. Ended up with these.
1594236780554.png

So I do noticed just how finicky the Orbs are with tips. What is unusual about them is that your traditional wider bores are not the best for these at all. In fact it is the opposite. The Spinfit CP145 has a slightly narrower opening than the stock blue stemmed tips. These spinfits have a 3mm opening vs 3.5mm of the Symbio W or the stock blue tips and with a longer stem.

Long story short. I no longer feel treble is laging behind the mids and the bass. If you have these tips in your tip box. Give these a try. While the stock blue stemmed or orange stemmed tips does a good job not hiding the treble end. These CP145 bring out that treble energy hidden in all them big bold mid section of the Orbs.

To be fair I am using the ISN AG8 silver cable as well. I will post a pick later of this combo. But for now If you have them give these a try on your Orbs.
I like the CP145s. Despite their narrower bore, they tend to accentuate the mid to upper treble of most IEMs that I’ve tried them on. They are an “energetic” sounding IEM tip, IMO. One downside is the relatively wide core/stem, so you need to use them on IEMs with wider nozzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back