The PENON official thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #273 of 13,917
if you ask me what's the next upgrade for the Orb on vocals, you are looking at the 1000+ USD range so for the price of Orb with that vocals performance, just brilliant.

I've auditioned a usd.1,100 full size, vocal tonality is spot on!
... & i don't have to lug around a very heavy dap to play w/ the Orb!

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #274 of 13,917
Screw it, I just placed a order for the Penon Orbs. Thanks for the help everyone! Also, if you plan on purchasing something from Penon Audio, don't forget to add the sixth anniversary gift to your cart. I'm hoping it's a balanced cable.

Congrats
I'm very certain, u won't regret...

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #275 of 13,917
now that I realize more drivers does not mean better I'm leaning towards the orb for the bigger dynamic driver.

IMG_20200704_112536.jpg

The W50 had 1 mission, The Bass was priority. it has a very un armature like character to it. Next, The Mids are 1 of the most naturally tuned, even to this day.
Still, i'd prefer the Orbs over this usd.699 (back in 2016) monitors.
The Orbs' sub bass, mid bass & upper bass are there, if they are recorded, intended to be there. But they don't overpower the Mids (the Orbs killer feature) & to complete the task a really good treble. Fatigue free of course...

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #276 of 13,917
Oh my. My Orb came in from China 2 days after Penon shipped it! Crazy!

This set is fantastic. The keyword is smooth: everything feels cohesive and smooth. Mids carry so much weight and clarity. I love the impact and slam of the bass without any bleed into the mids. Treble is non-fatiguing and sounds great but as others have stated it isn't quite the star of the show. I see why these would be a great pairing with the H40; the treble on that set has that excellent sparkle and clarity.

I'm currently using Azla Sedna Light tips on the Orb. The Orb's fit is fantastic for me.

FWIW, I listen to a wide variety of music from hip hop (Golden Age to recent artists like Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar) to mainstream pop to experimental/hyper pop (100 gecs, Charli XCX) to noise rock to indie rock and so on. I haven't found a genre that doesn't sound great with this set.

Also hi @dabaiyan! Nice to see a fellow upstate New Yorker. I was actually raised in Clifton Park and lived in East Greenbush for a while before moving away.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #279 of 13,917
Closer to Orb. Orb would be natural upgrade. Though I prefer H40 to both.
So basically, the H40 is the more “fun” and dynamic sounding IEM? With more mid bass punch and treble sparkle? Whereas the Orb and KXXS/Starfield are very smooth, with plenty of detail, but are more relaxing and inoffensive?

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #280 of 13,917
Oh my. My Orb came in from China 2 days after Penon shipped it! Crazy!

This set is fantastic. The keyword is smooth: everything feels cohesive and smooth. Mids carry so much weight and clarity. I love the impact and slam of the bass without any bleed into the mids. Treble is non-fatiguing and sounds great but as others have stated it isn't quite the star of the show. I see why these would be a great pairing with the H40; the treble on that set has that excellent sparkle and clarity.

I'm currently using Azla Sedna Light tips on the Orb. The Orb's fit is fantastic for me.

FWIW, I listen to a wide variety of music from hip hop (Golden Age to recent artists like Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar) to mainstream pop to experimental/hyper pop (100 gecs, Charli XCX) to noise rock to indie rock and so on. I haven't found a genre that doesn't sound great with this set.

Also hi @dabaiyan! Nice to see a fellow upstate New Yorker. I was actually raised in Clifton Park and lived in East Greenbush for a while before moving away.
hey, don't see that many upstate new yorker here on the forum, I know many people in Clifton Park, great place to live.
I'm using spiral dots with the orb, these are my go to wide bore tips. I have some sedna light tips on order, will give them a try when they arrive.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #281 of 13,917
So basically, the H40 is the more “fun” and dynamic sounding IEM? With more mid bass punch and treble sparkle? Whereas the Orb and KXXS/Starfield are very smooth, with plenty of detail, but are more relaxing and inoffensive?

The thing with KXXS vs Starfield, I find the Starfield as very smooth, but too recessed and bass is a little muddy whereas the KXXS has that slight better clarity while still being relatively smooth and not fatiguing. It also has faster bass response over the Starfield. While I first liked the Starfield, it turns out the KXXS is quite a bit better in my books. And yet people say they are very similar 😅

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #282 of 13,917
hey, don't see that many upstate new yorker here on the forum, I know many people in Clifton Park, great place to live.
I'm using spiral dots with the orb, these are my go to wide bore tips. I have some sedna light tips on order, will give them a try when they arrive.
For the most part, Spiral Dots and Sedna Earfits seem to sound quite similar on a lot of IEMs, with the Sedna winning out on having a more rigid structure and much better grip on the IEM nozzle, but perhaps the SD winning out ever so slightly on soundstage and smoothness. For a more significant change in sound, I recommend trying the ePro horn-shaped ear tips. They are also wide bore, but really seem to make the sound of IEMs more fun, dynamic, focused, engaging, intense, at the cost of some soundstage. They are not better, just different, and I really appreciate the variety. I use the largest size of Sedna and SD tips, but use the medium size ePro, with a deeper insertion. I find the largest size ePro too flimsy to create a good seal. Right now they are only available with 3 sizes in one pack.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #283 of 13,917
The thing with KXXS vs Starfield, I find the Starfield as very smooth, but too recessed and bass is a little muddy whereas the KXXS has that slight better clarity while still being relatively smooth and not fatiguing. It also has faster bass response over the Starfield. While I first liked the Starfield, it turns out the KXXS is quite a bit better in my books. And yet people say they are very similar 😅
The tuning may be VERY similar, but I’ve been reading a lot more comments like yours lately from members that really like the sound of the KXXS more, and easily notice the differences. I have my eye on the KXXX, but for that price, I’m tempted to spend a bit more and get either the Tanchjim Oxygen or the Penon Orb.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #284 of 13,917
The tuning may be VERY similar, but I’ve been reading a lot more comments like yours lately from members that really like the sound of the KXXS more, and easily notice the differences. I have my eye on the KXXX, but for that price, I’m tempted to spend a bit more and get either the Tanchjim Oxygen or the Penon Orb.
I am in the similar boat as you. I initially was set with the Starfield as a reference and wanting to just spend a little more and get the 'upgraded' tier above the Starfield. But once I've tried the KXXS, I realise that I am very happy to have the added treble and tighter bass response despite slightly more sibilant (hence more 'offensive') character, but decided that the KXXS is the very limits. With that updated reference in mind, now I want to explore the upgraded tier that improves in the KXXS in every way, while still maintaining the same level of max sibilance because anything more will be a deal breaker for me. I seem pretty much down to either the H40, Orb and the Mangird Tea as they are all the same price for me, but trying to understand the differences of these fairly new IEMs is challenging =D. I really appreciate the early adopters sharing their views here.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #285 of 13,917
For the most part, Spiral Dots and Sedna Earfits seem to sound quite similar on a lot of IEMs, with the Sedna winning out on having a more rigid structure and much better grip on the IEM nozzle, but perhaps the SD winning out ever so slightly on soundstage and smoothness. For a more significant change in sound, I recommend trying the ePro horn-shaped ear tips. They are also wide bore, but really seem to make the sound of IEMs more fun, dynamic, focused, engaging, intense, at the cost of some soundstage. They are not better, just different, and I really appreciate the variety. I use the largest size of Sedna and SD tips, but use the medium size ePro, with a deeper insertion. I find the largest size ePro too flimsy to create a good seal. Right now they are only available with 3 sizes in one pack.
Tha't's what I heard too, but the spiral dots tend to slide off some of the more slippery nozzles due to the softer core, that's why I wanted to try the sednas. I also have the ePro horn shapes, I use them with my sony M9s and they are great, just need to be careful with the vaccum effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back