The PENON official thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #256 of 14,160
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting these as my first pair of "real" iems, I currently only own the original galaxy buds, and I have a few questions.

First, would you recommend these or the Ikko oh10s to a bass lover that mainly listens to rap and rock?

Second, for those of you that live in the U.S, how much was the customs fee? I've never imported anything before, so I don't know how this stuff usually works.
Just my two cents before others pitch in, the ISN H40 have more punchy bass according to someone who own both the H40 and oh10. And a lot of people here have already compared the ISN H40 to the penon orb here already, just need to go a few pages back and you'll have a lot to read of testimonials to read through.

My short answer is that these probably have better bass, but that the oh10 are still a fantastic option and that you can also consider the ISN h40 as well.

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #257 of 14,160
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting these as my first pair of "real" iems, I currently only own the original galaxy buds, and I have a few questions.

First, would you recommend these or the Ikko oh10s to a bass lover that mainly listens to rap and rock?

Second, for those of you that live in the U.S, how much was the customs fee? I've never imported anything before, so I don't know how this stuff usually works.
I feel the Orb is more suitable for you. The OH10 is no slouch but as your rap music requires good vocals, the Orb.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #259 of 14,160

I've never heard the OH10, but the ORB is simply outstanding for rap and rock. They excel with everything, but especially those genres. I would be shocked if you didn't love them.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #260 of 14,160

Never paid any import fees. That may come into play on items over 2k, though.

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #261 of 14,160
I've never heard the OH10, but the ORB is simply outstanding for rap and rock. They excel with everything, but especially those genres. I would be shocked if you didn't love them.
Yea, it is really hard to not enjoy the Orb. For what it offers, this is a gem at its price point and deserves a spot in any collection.

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #262 of 14,160
Rather than sleeping last night ... I spent extensive time comparing ISN hs40, ISN d10, and Orb with same musical selections and sound sources.
Ranking:

1. H40 - hands down winner. These are in a different class. Makes everything sound magical.
2. Penon Orb - Honorable 2nd place. Excellent sub-bass, but now convinced scooped out mid-bass leaves something lacking compared to H40. Highs are very good but not holographic like H40.
3. D10 - These are not in the same league as the other 2. Everything is flat and 2 dimensional by comparison.

These are my opinions and I'm sticking to them.

YMMV

Edit: I think I'd rather listen to the H40 than the Solaris. Not that the Solaris is a slouch.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #263 of 14,160
Does anyone have a comparison of the mangird tea to the orb? These recently came up on my radar as highly recommend
This is a comparison that I’m really wanting as well, but I don’t know of anyone on head-fi that has both as of yet. They both came out and became popular at the same time.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #265 of 14,160
Just my two cents before others pitch in, the ISN H40 have more punchy bass according to someone who own both the H40 and oh10. And a lot of people here have already compared the ISN H40 to the penon orb here already, just need to go a few pages back and you'll have a lot to read of testimonials to read through.

My short answer is that these probably have better bass, but that the oh10 are still a fantastic option and that you can also consider the ISN h40 as well.
Welp, that's one more iem to add to the, "Which one should I buy," pile. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #266 of 14,160
Rather than sleeping last night ... I spent extensive time comparing ISN hs40, ISN d10, and Orb with same musical selections and sound sources.
Ranking:

1. H40 - hands down winner. These are in a different class. Makes everything sound magical.
2. Penon Orb - Honorable 2nd place. Excellent sub-bass, but now convinced scooped out mid-bass leaves something lacking compared to H40. Highs are very good but not holographic like H40.
3. D10 - These are not in the same league as the other 2. Everything is flat and 2 dimensional by comparison.

These are my opinions and I'm sticking to them.

YMMV

Edit: I think I'd rather listen to the H40 than the Solaris. Not that the Solaris is a slouch.

Can you share what kind of music did you test with and with what source? TIA

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #268 of 14,160
Does anyone have a comparison of the mangird tea to the orb? These recently came up on my radar as highly recommend
I just got the orb for about 2 days, and have the mangird tea for about couple of weeks now, I personally prefer the orb, it just has a more musical and non-fatiguing sound signature. With the tea, you have to burn it in for at least 50 hours to get decent bass, but orb comes with excellent sub-bass right out of the box. The mids on the mangird tea is very detailed and textured, but can become fatiguing after a while, so for vocals I do prefer the slightly warmer presentation of the orb than the tea. But the tea has better treble extension than the orb, and a wider soundstage. Overall detail and imaging also goes to the tea, so for people who love details I would go for the tea. It has a more neutral sound signature overall, but bit less fun than the orb. Mangird tea is also a bit harder to drive than the orb
I will probably put the Mangird Tea up for sale soon, so if anyone is interested, you can pm me for details.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #269 of 14,160
I just got the orb for about 2 days, and have the mangird tea for about couple of weeks now, I personally prefer the orb, it just has a more musical and non-fatiguing sound signature. With the tea, you have to burn it in for at least 50 hours to get decent bass, but orb comes with excellent sub-bass right out of the box. The mids on the mangird tea is very detailed and textured, but can become fatiguing after a while, so for vocals I do prefer the slightly warmer presentation of the orb than the tea. But the tea has better treble extension than the orb, and a wider soundstage. Overall detail and imaging also goes to the tea, so for people who love details I would go for the tea. It has a more neutral sound signature overall, but bit less fun than the orb. Mangird tea is also a bit harder to drive than the orb
I will probably put the Mangird Tea up for sale soon, so if anyone is interested, you can pm me for details.
Thanks! Do you also have the L3? I wonder how it compares to the Tea and Orb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back