The PENON official thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #316 of 13,790
They fit the Orbs perfectly and your right it does accent the upper mids and treble end a touch more than the stock stips. It does a good job balancing out the sonics. Bass end is not affected at all either.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #317 of 13,790
On "Vapour trail", the Orbs captured very well percussion, vocal & those lovely strings near the end of track.
Coherence, instruments intertwining are noteworthy as well as very good handling of clashes on "Nowhere".
I use the old spiral dots...

1594238802606.png

Time for some chaos, the Orbs love 'em. There's coherence & order in chaos. The trick synths, are very hypnotic...

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #318 of 13,790
TOOL - Chocolate Chip Trip
Dana's kit is so unique i had to pull up a picture of it.

A lot going on in this song so i'll pick some snippets i enjoyed. Since he stacks a lot of cymbals he has tons of different sounding bell hits and i only just realized how many bells he has stacked so im not going to comment on that.

His drums are recorded very naturally and you can feel each thunderous kick drum. You get a real sense of space on his tom sweeps @ 2:39 where he is sweeping left to right and right to left. His patent double bass (can hear the two different kick drums distinctly) at 2:52. Another good example of tom sweep is at 4:10 the space of all 4 toms (tom, roto, floor, floor) and their angles is nice.

Fazer - Nadi

Edit* ok. I thought the bands name was frazer so most of my descriptions about drum setup is wrong.

The one odd thing is in recordings you rarely (imo) can tell a lefty from a righty. The tracks still plays hi-hats in left channel (ear) regardless. And in this case we have a lefty drummer.

In the beginnig of the song i thought this was a snare drum with the bands off but the sound was odd. I looked at his drumset, a lefty! Again, with the odd recording of lefty's, you definitely hear the snare on the right and his tom on the right.

He has a tiny 4 piece kit and from what i can tell (since it sounds like more drums) is in the beginning he is palm muted his tom to get two distinct tones. The recording definitely sounds jazzy or big bandy. Going back to what i said about recording. You can hear the snare drum on the right and the tom on the right.

Then you go to Jetty and he seems to be playing two snares (left and right with centering) and his hats are on the left and floor tom on right with high tom on the left...bonkers. Then later in the song it seems reversed but hats remain on the left. I'd be curious to see a video of this and i wonder if they just layered two tracks of drums on this song. Real good feel of his tom and kick pattern in the beginning. That was an enveloping track.

With recordings like these it makes you wish the orb had more upper-end grunt to hear all those resonants decaying etc

Thanks for dissecting the tracks, bro. I appreciate it. I couldn't have done that myself. I'll make sure to listen to them again with your thoughts in mind.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #319 of 13,790
Thanks for dissecting the tracks, bro. I appreciate it. I couldn't have done that myself. I'll make sure to listen to them again with your thoughts in mind.

You bet. I used to drum for many years so its always what i listen to. However, i looked at some videos of fazer and it appears they have two drummers. So everything including the lefty thing is incorrect. Although, i did mention i thought the drums were double recorded and maybe the palm muting is still accurate. I'll take a win where i can get one!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #320 of 13,790
DSC07302.JPG
The cable I am using is the thickest pure silver cable in existence called the ISN AG8. I did a review for this cable and it has found a new home with my Orbs.
I am very certain I have a unique sounding Orb here. The combination of the CP145 tips and this cable brings out a grander stage. Better definition and imaging.
That musical full bodied sounding Orb now has plenty of treble infusion.

NiceHCK just released a pure 4 core silver cable that I will be getting soon and I can't wait to try that using the Orb. This cable I will be getting costs a whopping $16. Well at least for headfiers. I will let you all know how it meshes with the Orbs when I get it.

1594264151254.png

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #321 of 13,790
Been trying to fine tune the Orbs a bit more. Did some more tip rolling. Ended up with these.

So I do noticed just how finicky the Orbs are with tips. What is unusual about them is that your traditional wider bores are not the best for these at all. In fact it is the opposite. The Spinfit CP145 has a slightly narrower opening than the stock blue stemmed tips. These spinfits have a 3mm opening vs 3.5mm of the Symbio W or the stock blue tips and with a longer stem.

Long story short. I no longer feel treble is laging behind the mids and the bass. If you have these tips in your tip box. Give these a try. While the stock blue stemmed or orange stemmed tips does a good job not hiding the treble end. These CP145 bring out that treble energy hidden in all them big bold mid section of the Orbs.

To be fair I am using the ISN AG8 silver cable as well. I will post a pick later of this combo. But for now If you have them give these a try on your Orbs.

What sorcery is this!? Upper mids to treble turned up a notch after trying my Spinfit tips. IDK why I didn't think of this earlier even though I've known this effect from these tips a long time already. I've rarely used my Spinfits and had been sitting on storage for as long as I remember. Now they will be used for my Orb until a better set come along. Vocals on some tracks actually became brighter than how I remember them to be. I used to hate this Spinfit effect on my other IEMs, now I have a use for them for good. Thanks for the reminder, @Dsnuts!

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #322 of 13,790
I'm now convinced of how tip sensitive this IEM is. I mean that in a good way though. You can kind of alter the sound to a significant level just by changing tips. SpinFit effect is a blessing to Orb. Some may not even bear the added shimmer for some tracks, but this is all good for me and still below my tolerance limit. On point reco, @Dsnuts!

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #323 of 13,790
NiceHCK just released a pure 4 core silver cable that I will be getting soon and I can't wait to try that using the Orb. This cable I will be getting costs a whopping $16. Well at least for headfiers. I will let you all know how it meshes with the Orbs when I get it.
Where did you find them for $16? Not a big amount, but I’ve only found them for $20 on AliExpress.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #325 of 13,790
Only day one, still need to burn in and waiting on new cable and tips, but man these are some super tasty sounding iems. Not super resolving, but very pleasant tuning overall. Description of it sounding like fibae black with highs is pretty accurate, but with even better low end too. Only thing is that the bores are bit wide, almost as wide as moondrop a/s8, but a little bit smaller, pretty much on the border of being uncomfortable for small ears.
IMG_20200709_185830.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #326 of 13,790
The OS849 is a 8 core SPC cable that was released 3 years ago. Recently, the OS849 has a new revised version with better hardware components and it now has a Type 4 Litz configuration. I was curious on the sound difference so decided to compare both of them. To my surprise. the new OS849 has tighter bass, more transparent midrange with greater forwardness. crispier treble with a touch more sparkle. There is a wider soundstage expansion. Overall, there is cleaner presentation with higher level of details retrieval. If you have the old OS849, the new OS849 is definitely a step up in terms of sound and it is in Litz now. Excellent revision of the OS849.

Left: Old OS849. Right: New OS849
photo_2020-07-10_13-31-09 (2).jpg

Top: New OS849. Bottom: Old OS849
photo_2020-07-10_13-31-09.jpg
photo_2020-07-10_13-31-08 (2).jpg
photo_2020-07-10_13-31-08 (3).jpg

Top: Old OS849. Bottom: New OS849
photo_2020-07-10_13-31-08.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #327 of 13,790
D10 has more sub bass quantity than the Orb but Orb imo has the better quality bass in general. Quality is absolutely superb actually. Some guys on the ISN thread didnt like how pronounced the sub bass was on the D10. Subbass dont stand out as much on the Orb. It does have some excellent subbass though.

I can tell the dynamic being used on the Orb is a higher end of dynamic. Bass end does remind me of my JVC wood dome dynamics which are known for their bass. My FX850 to be exact.,
I’ve been away from the IEM market for years and now I’m getting back into it.
I like my FX850 bass a lot. I was wondering if you could compare the overall sound of the Orb to this. I haven’t heard any newer IEMs. My collection is ancient (Eg, Heir Audio 8.a, Future Sonics MG6pro).
Thanks!

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #328 of 13,790
Jul 12, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #330 of 13,790
Add the cable to your cart step 1
Use web money to order step 2
Send message to NiceHCK that your a headfier and heard about the discount
they will change the amount to pay Step 3
then buy after they change the amount Step 4.

You can then thank me. :ksc75smile:
Pfffft. Or you could just follow their feed on Ali like only a true insane, obsessive compulsive whacko would do for like 15 boutique audio shops and constantly check it all for new stuff and special discounts..... Or wait, is that just me?

Oh crap, another horrible revelation about me going further off the deep end into this all.....

Thanks for the co-dependence headfi! Thanks a lot.... *Wallet cries*

Users who are viewing this thread

• Acts
Back