The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Aug 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,551 of 2,849
I just got new pads from eBay for my pannies, they're an improvement over the stock pads because they don't stick to your head when you take them off, however they aren't as deep and feel cheaper. But they were only $5.

Pics.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2,552 of 2,849
if i already have the monoprice 8323's, is it even worth getting these? i feel like their sound signatures would overlap and i would be basically getting almost the same thing in a different housing

also want to add that im like 90 percent sure i've asked this before, possibly even in this thread but i dont remember any of the responses if i did ask :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,553 of 2,849
My philosophy with cheap headphones is buy one, and replace with a different one when it breaks. I replaced my RP-HTF600 with the Koss UR55. I replaced the UR55 with the AKG K422. When the AKG's break (November or December if they follow the historical 4-5 month cycle), the Superlux HD681 is next on my list. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2,554 of 2,849
To me the Monoprice cans are so uncomfortable that the Pannies win every time (even though they don't have the best earpads either...) Regarding sound, I also prefer the Pannies over the Kicker/Monoprice headphones. To me they are smoother across the range and enjoy the mids more.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,555 of 2,849
Quote:
My philosophy with cheap headphones is buy one, and replace with a different one when it breaks. I replaced my RP-HTF600 with the Koss UR55. I replaced the UR55 with the AKG K422. When the AKG's break (November or December if they follow the historical 4-5 month cycle), the Superlux HD681 is next on my list. 
biggrin.gif

I miss my 681. You will be impressed. I miss mine a lot.

My headphones tend to last a year to a year and a half before they either break, or get so dirty and ugly I can't stand the sight. I'm going to get another pair of 681's when my pannies break.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #2,556 of 2,849
I got to hear the 681's for the first time last weekend and I was impressed by their sound and comfort.

They have the typical bloated bass of the genre, but the mids were mostly unaffected and the treble was bright and clean - atypical of the breed.

They are definitely on my list.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2,557 of 2,849
Quote:
I got to hear the 681's for the first time last weekend and I was impressed by their sound and comfort.

They have the typical bloated bass of the genre, but the mids were mostly unaffected and the treble was bright and clean - atypical of the breed.

They are definitely on my list.

I found the pads to be horrible, but then I got some $15 creative pads from Amazon and bent the metal headband and they were more comfortable then my pannies with these pads. Then I broke them the day after

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2,558 of 2,849
I found the pads to be horrible, but then I got some $15 creative pads from Amazon and bent the metal headband and they were more comfortable then my pannies with these pads. Then I broke them the day after

Thanks for letting me know.

The Beyer pads on my Pannies were super nice - just a waste of money since the headphones broke. I put them in a drawer with hopes they will fit another pair someday.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,559 of 2,849
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know.
The Beyer pads on my Pannies were super nice - just a waste of money since the headphones broke. I put them in a drawer with hopes they will fit another pair someday.

I have my 681's in a drawer, too. I might get another pair of them or a  668b. I'll miss the extra bass extension on the 681, though.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2,560 of 2,849
Still don't like these at all.  I keep trying to give them "One Last Chance".

I had the Beyerdynamic DT250 Velour Pads.  They were SUPER comfortable, but I felt that made the drivers too close to the ears.

As you can see below, I am now on my third pair of pads.  The ones from the Brainwavz HM5/Digitech Pro Monitors.
They fit PERFECT, very comfortable and not as hot as stock.  Does not do much to help the muddy overall sound quality though.. 
frown.gif

Also added some stickers to it.... because... why not.  They come NO WHERE near the SQ of my Digitech (Jaycar) Pro Monitors.

Not sure what to do with my HTF600s now.  Might sell them, might give them away, they do not get use anymore.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,561 of 2,849
Quote:
if i already have the monoprice 8323's, is it even worth getting these? i feel like their sound signatures would overlap and i would be basically getting almost the same thing in a different housing

also want to add that im like 90 percent sure i've asked this before, possibly even in this thread but i dont remember any of the responses if i did ask :frowning2:

Pannies are semi-open in reality and have a better soundstage. The bass is also much greater. I felt the mids were a bit recessed in comparison to the Monos. I would say that they are different enough to warrant at least trying each.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #2,562 of 2,849
Quote:

1. Stand against a wall with your headphone on while playing didgeridoo music (FLAC ONLY)
2. Place ruler against headphone and mark location on wall with pencil

100% accurate and verified with my sound engineer

I measure my soundstage with a tape measure.  A ruler only gives you 12".  My soundstage is actually like a soundstage, with me having front row seats.  I can see the drummer nodding at me while the bassist gives me the thumbs up in between notes.  I'm like Wahlberg in Rock Star!

Now if I can only get backstage after the set to audition a few groupies....maybe with some Beyer velour cups I can squeeze past security into that backstage door.

Hey, I see a fruit platter!  I'm getting warm!

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,563 of 2,849
I haven't been around these parts for a long time: Has anyone ever found a real/permanent solution to the problem of one or both channels "going out" and becoming hollow? Mine have gotten to the point where they "break" regularly, and blowing on them and banging on them rarely fix anything, although playing a 50Hz tone or so really loud often gets them to pop back into place. They're fun headphones to listen to, but I haven't even used mine for almost all of 2012, because they're just so poorly built and temperamental.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2,564 of 2,849
Quote:
I haven't been around these parts for a long time: Has anyone ever found a real/permanent solution to the problem of one or both channels "going out" and becoming hollow? Mine have gotten to the point where they "break" regularly, and blowing on them and banging on them rarely fix anything, although playing a 50Hz tone or so really loud often gets them to pop back into place. They're fun headphones to listen to, but I haven't even used mine for almost all of 2012, because they're just so poorly built and temperamental.

Mine "went hollow" (good description by the way) a few months ago and I haven't touched them since. I'll keep the Beyer Velours for a rainy day but I'll probably just throw the headphones in the trash.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,565 of 2,849
I really like these headphones but the first pair blew a driver within 2 hours of use-not abused-developed a buzz on all bass notes, second pair lasted 2 weeks but the right channel became 20% quieter than the left. Not sure if I want to try a third. I am liking the JVC HA-RX700 but miss the wider soundstage of the Panasonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back