The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
May 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,446 of 2,849
Quote:
I like the Grado sound.  Doing a direct comparison between my SR60i and the HTF600, the Panasonics are very recessed in the mid range.  To the point of becoming sonically invisible behind the bass.  I couldn't stand to listen to them for music.  The only thing I could use them for was gaming, and the pads made that unbearable too. 

Just not a headphone that suits my tastes.

Yeah... I just think you are used to the screeching highs of the Grados! lol :wink: (trust me, I had a pair...)
Even though I use a lot of "treble-happy/mid-forward" headphones such as the Shure's, I still like the Pannies and appreciate them for what they are. But I can definitely understand that you are too used to the Grados...

In my opinion, their mids are not their strong suit but they are not ALL that recessed to me. Highs do roll-off and don't have that 'spark' I like but it's Ok, I wasn't expecting that either from these.

For the price, these are one of the most "fun" headphones I have bought. (I have 2 of these...)

May 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,447 of 2,849
Quote:

Did you burn it in? The most drastic change happens to the midrange which is greatly brought forward after around 50 hrs of use. Saying it's "invisible" behind the bass is just absurd, sounds like you haven't had enough diverse experience of different sounding headphones.

You don't seem to read too well.  I stated already that I burned them in for over 70 hours.  The mids on these pretty much suck.  I used them for two excruciating months and know this for a fact.  Absurd?  I think you should reexamine the meaning of the word if you recommend these to anyone.

And yes, I've heard a few mid range headphones.  Sony MDR V6, ZX700, Grado's, CAL's two different AKG's, some old school Pioneers, and a few more, though many of those were for brief listening sessions, not weeks of use.  I've also heard a few lower priced phones, like the Sony PQ2, the Porta Pro's, the awful Sony V150, a JVC HARX300, a Koss I can't remember offhand, and a few cheapo throwaways.

Where I lack experience is in the higher end headphones, so I don't comment on them, but rather come in to learn what I can.  I now take recommendations around this place with a LARGE helping of scepticism however.

May 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,448 of 2,849
thnx for that ... will have to give it a try.
Quote:
Sure! I've modded mine a lot, to be completely open (and they now leak accordingly, they are like mini speakers now, I have to listen to them in my bedroom with the door closed but it's worth it...at least for me they now sound like the headphones I've always dreamed about
biggrin.gif
) and they may not seem familiar to you guys anymore...
However, you can see where I've drilled that little hole... You can appreciate that it's in a place where it won't be sealed by the ear pads, nor by your own ears.. Try drilling that little hole, it'll work with the stock cups. Plus you'll solve the problem with the drivers going out of place. If you don't like the effect, you can always close it with a little putty or even a little piece of duct tape. If you have removed the foam on the drivers like I have, please seal them off with some tape before drilling, you don't want any plastic bits on them.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d930cc192818110
http://www.imagebam.com/image/a179ad192818153
http://www.imagebam.com/image/b5b7f7192818191
http://www.imagebam.com/image/985e14192818218
Please don't mind the cracks in the pads, these headphones have at least 8 months of daily use and that pleather just cracked... fortunately comfort isn't affected, just looks, and the camera flash makes it look worse than it is. I'll have to get some replacements someday...

May 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #2,449 of 2,849
Quote:
You don't seem to read too well.  I stated already that I burned them in for over 70 hours.  The mids on these pretty much suck.  I used them for two excruciating months and know this for a fact.  Absurd?  I think you should reexamine the meaning of the word if you recommend these to anyone.

And yes, I've heard a few mid range headphones.  Sony MDR V6, ZX700, Grado's, CAL's two different AKG's, some old school Pioneers, and a few more, though many of those were for brief listening sessions, not weeks of use.  I've also heard a few lower priced phones, like the Sony PQ2, the Porta Pro's, the awful Sony V150, a JVC HARX300, a Koss I can't remember offhand, and a few cheapo throwaways.

Where I lack experience is in the higher end headphones, so I don't comment on them, but rather come in to learn what I can.  I now take recommendations around this place with a LARGE helping of scepticism however.

Those are pretty much midcentric headphones you've mostly heard, hence the comment "lack of diverse headphone testing". I've heard what truly recessed midrange headphones sounds like in Denon D1100, DT770 Pro, ATH-M50 to mention some.

If you check this thread your experience is more of an exception, 8/10 people think these HTF600 are exceptionally nice sounding for its price.

Also you probably have a very skewed sound preference towards Grado-like presentation and do the mistake of objectively trashing a headphone based on your own sound preference when it steps away from that preferred signature. I know I wouldn't like the Sennheiser HD800 $1300 at all but I wouldn't go trashing it just because it doesn't sound like my preferred sound signature, in fact I could probably admire it's technically impressive detail. This is something that can't be expressed enough times around this place. As for me I rather check the average feedback recieved of 100+ people on a certain headphone to gather a good overall picture of a headphone rather than a single user. So if you think your word would weigh more than 100+ users in this case, be my guest, I find that almost a bit ignorant.

PS, midrange would be 300Hz ~ 4kHz or so range, HTF600 starts to roll-off around 4kHz region, at 500~2kHz which is the most crucial part for a midrange of a headphone, it's definitely not recessed. It's a bit overly warm/smooth in the midrange due to roll-off over 4kHz range but "muddy" midrange doesn't mean recessed midrange, muddy midrange comes especially from forward upper-bass and recessed highrange (warm sound signature) and lack of transparency.

May 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2,450 of 2,849
So, I'm part of the 20% huh?  Better than being in the 1% I suppose.  Hardly matters, as I will continue to state my opinion regarding these particular headphones.  Speaking out from personal experience is not being "ignorant".

I'll take your word on the measurements, as I haven't felt interested enough in these to look up their specs, but it hardly matters.  The midrange cannot be discerned clearly and cleanly out of the mudstorm of bass that these headphones produce. 

I found they had no real use for me.  The few people who tried them while I had them also disliked them for various reasons.  I prefer my Porta Pros as a warm toned, "fun", cheap, headphone.  And the CALs can do everything better across the board, but are not always available at a bargain price. 

And I do appreciate different presentations...my AKG K240 Mk II's are completely different in sound signature to my Grado's.  I like them for many purposes, including watching movies.  They're just a bit boring for rock though. 

Back on topic, there are better choices than these Panasonics, in their price range and slightly above or below their cost.  The Koss KSC75, and Porta Pro's for example, and the CAL! when it goes on sale.  My opinion only of course.

May 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,451 of 2,849
Quote:
So, I'm part of the 20% huh?  Better than being in the 1% I suppose.  Hardly matters, as I will continue to state my opinion regarding these particular headphones.  Speaking out from personal experience is not being "ignorant".

I'll take your word on the measurements, as I haven't felt interested enough in these to look up their specs, but it hardly matters.  The midrange cannot be discerned clearly and cleanly out of the mudstorm of bass that these headphones produce. 

I found they had no real use for me.  The few people who tried them while I had them also disliked them for various reasons.  I prefer my Porta Pros as a warm toned, "fun", cheap, headphone.  And the CALs can do everything better across the board, but are not always available at a bargain price. 

And I do appreciate different presentations...my AKG K240 Mk II's are completely different in sound signature to my Grado's.  I like them for many purposes, including watching movies.  They're just a bit boring for rock though. 

Back on topic, there are better choices than these Panasonics, in their price range and slightly above or below their cost.  The Koss KSC75, and Porta Pro's for example, and the CAL! when it goes on sale.  My opinion only of course.

Yea well I just thought I had to make it clear that muddy midrange != recessed midrange. Take once again DT770 Pro, Denon D1100, M50 as examples, all of these have more clear midrange than HTF600 but the mids are also more distant/silent sounding. Clarity in mids and how loud/in-your-face it sounds like are entirely different, for me it's even more important that it's forward / in-your-face than clear sounding as to me that brings that fun engaging sound which many headphones I've listened to lack. I'm pretty sure for example CAL! would do sound better to many people here but not all as CAL! doesn't have the same engaging and fun sound of the HTF600, they are a bit more detailed and neutral sounding for sure (very great so for its price) but not as much of a "automatic-foottap"-mode on headphone as HTF600, they are more "relaxed"/gentle even if they do have more sparkle in the highs. You need to understand some people are looking for different kind of sound as we all got our own personal preference of how it should sound like why it exists such a diversity of headphones. HTF600 is definitely not a headphone with a sound to your liking but it appeals to a broad range of users though.

The EQ setting for my HTF600 was gently V-shaped as midrange was already nicely present, by boosting highs it brought the welcomed clarity to play too in the midrange and as a basshead I prefer balanced subbass and midbass ratio presence why I gave it a slight boost in the subbass too.

May 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #2,452 of 2,849
Hey long time lurker here, actually thought I had an account but apparently not.

History
Since this is my first post, I'll explain where I'm coming from. When I played Counter Strike 1.5 in CAL league back in the early 2000s, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s. They were amazing. I actually ended up going through four pairs of these as they were plastic and break fairly easy. More recently I got back into headphones. I bought a Xonar DG for my computer, the one with the build in headphone amp, and bought some Sony MDR V-6s. Then I bought some Vmoda Crossfades (which I currently use). I've had pretty extensive use of Shure 440s and Audio Technica AD500s. So out of this lineup my favorite pair was probably the Sonys. I thought the Shures were slightly worse sounding and way more uncomfortable. I like my Vmodas, they are built like a tank and I think they sound good, but they do get warm after about an hour or so. The AD500s I basically hated. I thought they sounded terrible with absolutely no bass, but they were amazingly comfortable. 

Now
I just bought these Panasonics on amazon for $31. I was debating taking the jump to the AD700s but I think the lack of bass would bother me. My other thought was to buy a few cheaper pairs. I was looking at the Superlux ones first, then I found this thread. So needless to say I'm really excited to try these panasonics. They may even be my first headphones I mod. I like the idea of Velour pads because comfort is important to me as I spend anywhere from 2-6 hours on the computer at a time. 

Anyways, enough rambling here. Thanks for this great forum, can't wait to hop in more of this convorsation once they get here :)

May 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,454 of 2,849
Quote:

Did you burn it in? The most drastic change happens to the midrange which is greatly brought forward after around 50 hrs of use. Saying it's "invisible" behind the bass is just absurd, sounds like you haven't had enough diverse experience of different sounding headphones.

Here we go again. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how "diverse" his experience is. Recessed midrange isn't a bad thing at all. The TripleFi 10's mids sounds a bit recessed but I still like them. Imho, the HTF600's mids are recessed and muddy. Getting rid most of the bass will make this headphone so much better. Really, these cans deserve more detailed reviews. I will write a review on this in my free time but will have no comparison of other budget cans. Inexpensive budget IEMs like the UE200 perform well enough to beat the HTF600 in everything except for soundstage (which isn't fair - IEMs vs. headphones). That said, I can see how people can sort of enjoy HTF's soundstage and coloured, laid back character.

Notes:
Burn in: Hundreds of hours. 
"Diverse" experience: I listed some of them on my profile: Ultrasones, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, Shure, etc. Pretty sure I covered different sounding headphones.
EQ: NO EQ.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2,455 of 2,849
I had panny's for a week or so. Here's some impressions.

Build: They are very light and at first I though that they are flimsy and feared that they will brake easy but I don't believe that's the case. It's just that my Superlux hd 661 are build like a tank and I'm used 2 throwing them around [much more heavier]. I would give penny's 7/10 and Superlux 9/10.
Comfort is great. 8/10 It would be 9 if they had better ear pads. They are light as a feather and don't squeeze the head 2 much. Some say they can't move or shake there head because of this but I dont have that problem...and I have a small head. [I didnt realize how small until I got into HP world
blink.gif
] Like many people already sad Beyerdynamics ear pads are a must. btw Supelux hd 661 are very uncomfortable and tight 3/10.

Sound: First impression was that they are good as advertized but I was surprised with a lack of bass. But I also read that the bass will "come out" after some burn-in.
They are definitely a fun phones. I almost gave up on expecting the bass 2 come out and play after ~100h but since yesterday hello!
dt880smile.png

There is almost 2 much now 4 every day and every genres 'cause I'm not really a basshead but if ever need a rest I got superlux hd 661 for alternative rock.
tongue.gif

Actually they are not at all fatiguing...as superlux can sometimes be. I use them for 6+ hours every day. Watching movies with them are amazing. Gaming is also very good with them with pretty decent sound stage. I play Counter-Strike for 10 years and they are good enough in my book.
wink_face.gif
  8/10 for sound.

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #2,456 of 2,849
Thanks for you impressions Don. I remember my own experience being exactly like yours. I think some guys get a pair that has the bass on them right a way for some reason. But I remember I had to burn mine in and it took 24 hours before the bass came out to play. It does me good to see guys still reaching for these and using them. I think this community by now knows what these are about which was the intended purpose. I only wish there was more like the HTF600. I hope one day we see a true successor to the HTF600 maybe a HTF700. Panasonic by now should know that these headphones are popular and they should know by now that this is the sound they should be working on for their next version. All in due time I suppose.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2,458 of 2,849
Quote:
Thanks for you impressions Don. I remember my own experience being exactly like yours. I think some guys get a pair that has the bass on them right a way for some reason. But I remember I had to burn mine in and it took 24 hours before the bass came out to play. It does me good to see guys still reaching for these and using them. I think this community by now knows what these are about which was the intended purpose. I only wish there was more like the HTF600. I hope one day we see a true successor to the HTF600 maybe a HTF700. Panasonic by now should know that these headphones are popular and they should know by now that this is the sound they should be working on for their next version. All in due time I suppose.

no problem. I'll post more detailed impressions and comparison with the Superlux hd 661 [Sony 7506 clone] in few weeks. Thank you guys for introducing as 2 this amazing HP.
L3000.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2,459 of 2,849
This was me
:mad:, :rolleyes:, :cool:, :p, :wink:, :D,
And in the end :).
Portability is a preference. If I like the sound I can careless how big they are. As for mids, I don't think they are drowned out by the bass. I think it very noticeable. A lot has to do with what is going into the cans. But to the comment they and not good is ridiculous. These are very good sounding head phone.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,460 of 2,849
For $27.52, pulled the trigger on these. Will be great for traveling with and on-the-go if these turn out to be great value. Initial impressions forthcoming but seems like you can't go wrong with these. If you don't like em, there's a nephew, cousin, friend somewhere that would appreciate these as a gift! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back