The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Mar 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,206 of 2,849
I bought them, used them for a week or so, and then returned them. I just couldn't take the recessed highs compared to my other cans. My intention was to drag them back and forth to work since I wouldn't care what happens to them. Instead, since I recently upgraded to a new main pair, I'm modifying my Sony 7506s to make them more portable (and comfortable).

The 600s do have excellent bass (for the money) and I have recommended them to a ton of people that I know that wouldn't spend big money on headphones.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,207 of 2,849

Quote:
I bought them, used them for a week or so, and then returned them. I just couldn't take the recessed highs compared to my other cans. My intention was to drag them back and forth to work since I wouldn't care what happens to them. Instead, since I recently upgraded to a new main pair, I'm modifying my Sony 7506s to make them more portable (and comfortable).
The 600s do have excellent bass (for the money) and I have recommended them to a ton of people that I know that wouldn't spend big money on headphones.

Can you please compare them to Sony 7506s ?

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,208 of 2,849

Quote:

I'm glad you posted this. For $30 I have very few complaints. They just don't match my signature preferences much.
I felt that they didn't have nearly enough treble for me and the bass was not very well controlled or accurate. A little too much bass bleed, but not as bad as the old Kicker HP541. I still can't understand how a basshead would not like these..

Sound would randomly go from crystal clear to almost muddy depending on the song.

I actually think these had a very good soundstage for the price. Sounded close to being semi-open.

I actually prefer a VERY EQd XB500 to these. If I couldn't EQ them, I'd pick the HTF. XB500 without EQ is unlistenable to me.

Too bad nobody sells the Maxell DHP-II anymore. That actually sounds much better and it also was $30. AKG K44 is also better when EQed. It's bass is much worse though, so I had to EQ the bloated bass out.

DT-235 is nice too and you can make them circumaural with Sennheiser HD-202 pads. Then they become too bassy, which makes no sense.

I guess I should go try and mod the HTF-600. I kept it, but rarely listen to it.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2,209 of 2,849
I've just dismantled my HTF-600. First I wanted to see if I could reduce or fix the bass.

I just did a quick test by applying some "Quick Roof" (same stuff as Dynamat basically) from Home Depot ($16 for lifetime supply). I covered every hole behind the driver and the bass went out the window. Almost tinny sounding now. Nice! Just the way I like it..kidding.

The problem with the Quick Roof is that it's a pain to remove. I instead covered the bottom two and middle hole, leaving the top 2 open. The bass has now come back close to where it should be, but reduced a little and not so bloated.

I don't have the foam over the driver though.

I'll test some more things and see how good I can get it. The method with 2 holes open seems OK so far. No bass bleed yet.

BTW the shell is super easy to open. Just use a screwdriver around the edges to pop the clips.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2,210 of 2,849
Amazon has the DHP-II for $40-$60 > http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-DHP-II-Digital-Full-Headphone/dp/B000VSBPEG

Quote:
I'm glad you posted this. For $30 I have very few complaints. They just don't match my signature preferences much.
I felt that they didn't have nearly enough treble for me and the bass was not very well controlled or accurate. A little too much bass bleed, but not as bad as the old Kicker HP541. I still can't understand how a basshead would not like these..

Sound would randomly go from crystal clear to almost muddy depending on the song.

I actually think these had a very good soundstage for the price. Sounded close to being semi-open.

I actually prefer a VERY EQd XB500 to these. If I couldn't EQ them, I'd pick the HTF. XB500 without EQ is unlistenable to me.

Too bad nobody sells the Maxell DHP-II anymore. That actually sounds much better and it also was $30. AKG K44 is also better when EQed. It's bass is much worse though, so I had to EQ the bloated bass out.

DT-235 is nice too and you can make them circumaural with Sennheiser HD-202 pads. Then they become too bassy, which makes no sense.

I guess I should go try and mod the HTF-600. I kept it, but rarely listen to it.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,211 of 2,849
[=
6c875182.jpg
][/]

This is an easy mod with out dismantling them. I use industrial stickers that I sliced up to cover the holes.

[=
b47b6cfb.jpg
][/]

All the holes are covered.

[=
e42a738c.jpg
][/]

On the outside I did the samething. Again this was a thicker than a regular sticker as you can see in the sticker in the background. This did improve the isolation which was wife approved. Also the closer increase the bass presence. It was a very noticeable and it also felt like there was an increase in the decibles. I will confirms this when second pair gets here. Still very impressed by these 30 cans.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2,212 of 2,849
I just bit the bullet on a pair of these suckers. Got them from Amazon.uk with free shipping for 49$, what a rip off you guys in the US can have them for 25$. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

redface.gif
 I'll be using them with my phone for radio and music, and for my home headphone rig. The reason I got these was that I think the Lyr amp blew the right driver in my Superlux HD681 during the power on cycle. The sound is still there in the right driver, but it's very faint. Oh well, the Superlux were only 26$.

I have a good feeling about these... 

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,215 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just got these though amazon and were shipped for about 35 bucks. I listened to one song before burning them in and I absolutely hated them. A very hollow sound. I left them on playing a shuffle mix of hip hop and in the morning, I was awakened to the sweet sound a a lush beaufitul jungle of sounds. These are the best 30 buck cans ever. I would pay 150 for these amazing 'phones. I only burned them for 24 hours, I hope they keep getting better. Thanks dsnuts and everyone in this thread for leading me toward my new favorite pair of all porpose cans.
L3000.gif

Many people would call BS on the burn in factor. I myself am a believer for some HP. I have had the same experience before with some IEM. Paid big money on some Shures. Listened to one song, hated them, burned them in overnight and they sounded great!!

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,216 of 2,849

Quote:
Many people would call BS on the burn in factor. I myself am a believer for some HP. I have had the same experience before with some IEM. Paid big money on some Shures. Listened to one song, hated them, burned them in overnight and they sounded great!!

I think most people will never experience a headphone that requires burn-in to be at it's best. It makes sense to hear that burn-in doesn't exist.
I remember when I got my DJ100 it sounded amazing out of the box. Got a 2nd pair and it sound terrible and very muffled. I compared them side by side and actually was going to return it due to being a defect. After five 8 hour sessions of burn-in they finally sounded identical to my first pair.
People can say I was hearing things all they want. I think I know what my favorite headphone should sound like after 5000000 hours of use.

Sometimes people need to stop being so quick to judge headphones and give them at least a week.

People go on and on about how burn in doesn't exist. Seriously is it so hard to shove a headphone in a drawer overnight for a POSSIBLE improvement? It's free and you can do it while sleeping.

If my headphone sounds good out of the box I usually don't bother. There's several symptoms I look for to see if it might need burn-in.

BTW does the HTF-600 have a titanium driver? It looks like a giant sized DJ100 driver.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,217 of 2,849
I am a believer in burn in. Every can I have had sounded dull and after a couple of days they open up. Some longer than others. These took me about a good three days n the garage.
Tdockwieler did you get any pics of the driver when you opened it? How has your mod helped?

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,218 of 2,849

Quote:
I am a believer in burn in. Every can I have had sounded dull and after a couple of days they open up. Some longer than others. These took me about a good three days n the garage.
Tdockwieler did you get any pics of the driver when you opened it? How has your mod helped?

No pictures of the driver, but the mod does help a lot. Many won't like it since it reduces the bass. To near neutral levels. No kidding. I might see if I can switch from 2 holes open behind the driver to 3 or 4.
I tested them with gaming last night and it was quite good for gaming for the price. Sound clarity is comparable to a DT-235, but the HTF-600 has a bigger soundstage and more forward lower mids.

Despite the mods you can still feel the insides of the cup vibrating. I might put some foam or other material in there, in addition to the Dynamat.

Popping these open is stupid easy. No risk at all. Even easier than using a screwdriver. Just be careful not to pull the wires out.

I forgot to mention that behind the driver, the magnet has FIVE holes completely open. Two on top, two on the bottom and one in the middle.

The K81DJ driver looks similar too and people have blocked off the "vents" to tune the bass I think.

It's funny how you can turn it into some tinny sounding garbage by simply covering all the holes behind the driver.

For people that are perfectly happy with it's slightly bloated bass, there is no point to mod these by covering any holes. Adding stuff to the cup would be a better idea.

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,219 of 2,849
True, I do not have nice gear, like a lot of you have. But for my money, I can not imagine anything better than this.

The htf600 out of the box, blew the jvc harx500's house down!

Lets equate to car audio.

Harx500 car has two 8” subs with the same amount of watts as htf600. Bass fatigues on heavy hits if turned up. Or just lack there of.
Harx500 is using the CD deck to power the stock 5.25” speakers in the rear and no front speakers. This leads to a sound of muffled mid rang and a tunnel effect.

The htf600 car has two 12” subs. It uses three-way separates in the front and are pointed at you. Rears are there too for a full sound. Everything has separate amps. The sound is clear across the whole spectrum.

Using the beyer pads, well in my opinion is like switching from 12” subs to 10”, but the sound is my holy grail. I get my punch with 10s, but they get deep too. Someone also put port holes through the trunk to rear seats. Blending the sound, no more boom, just hatch-back goodness.

Or in other words.
The clarity of Audio-Technica ATHM40FS without that tinfoil sound, and damn good bass

wow my reviews suck, haha

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,220 of 2,849
I just got the HTF600 this morning. Here's my impression after a short time of listening. In short, I'm impressed. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I listened to some songs on Pod by The Breeders. Razor's Edge by AD/DC, Big Ones by Aerosmith, and a couple of other genres. 

I like the tonal balance, they are the darkest sounding headphones I have, The treble is subtle, they're quite bass heavy, kickdrums sounds awesome. They sound smooth and not grainy. There's a good body to the sound, and instruments, such as guitars, have good weight to them. I like that a lot. As far as negatives goes, they sound a bit closed in/congested, but that's hardly surprising as they're a closed can (or is it semi closed). I think they're very enjoyable to listen to, fit is good, and they're very lightweight

tdockweiler wrote earlier:
"Sound would randomly go from crystal clear to almost muddy depending on the song."

- Yes, I get that feeling too. On the other hand, I think that's the case of most, if not all, headphones to some degree. 

I just did a little shuffling between the Superlux HD681 (with practically no bass in the right driver due to recent damage), Sennheiser HD650, HE-6, and the HTF600. After the HE-6, which I think is in a league of its own, I think I like the HTF600 the best, at least this morning and because they're new. :)

The Superlux have a brighter tonal balance with more treble in comparison, and the Superlux is probably more detailed and accurate with better instrument separation. But they're are beaten by the HTF600 to my taste. At least with the songs I've listened to so far.

The HD650 has a bigger and more open sound, and a better sense of layers in the sound. The tonal balance is brighter too. I'd say the HD650 is undoubtedly the better headphone, but that's doesn't mean the HTF600 is bad in comparison, it's just different. 

The HTF600 will be replacing the Superlux as my portable headphone, so it's a good thing it looks better too. I'll be using them quite a bit at home too I think. Overall, the HTF600 is a fresh breath of air to my collection, as I've been wanting a treble-light warm sounding can for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back