The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2,072 of 2,849
I just started reading this thread  I'm now really interested in the htf600 because i really liked my friends htf890s.  

can anyone comment on these for my type of music--trance... my thread has more specifics:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/595317/very-specific-headphone-tailored-to-electronic-music-ultrasone-xxx-dt880-hd650-dt990-on-a-budget

I kinda liked that the htf890s weren't too bassy.  I don't MIND bass, but as long as it doesn't take away from the shine of the mids and highs in the LEAST.  :)  check out my link and songs and let me know what you think if you would.  I can't read 138pages of responses right now...  

something that confuses me is that the htf600 retails for $60, while the htf890 retails for $100..  the OP makes it seem like they're on par, or the htf sounds more fun/"better" than the HD650's.  

the only experience i have with HD650 is the beyer dt 880 (250ohm) which I just tried out.  I have read these are quite similar, but I'm guessing the HD650 is quite a bit more laid back and less energy .

What I am leaning towards is either htf600 or htf890 to tide me over while i save for the beyer dt880 which i LOVED...or better...along with amp and all that jazz.   instead of settling for something like the ad700 or ath-m50, sr60...that'll set me back more than the panasonics for little added value.  

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,073 of 2,849
Trance on these HTF600s are awesome. If you listen to a lot of EDM. I would give these a go. There is a reason why this thread is based on the HTF600s and not the HTF890. Those are good phones but for your music of choice I will be telling you wrong if I told you the HTF890s are better for trance.. Try these out and find out for yourself.. You will see.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2,074 of 2,849

Quote:
Trance on these HTF600s are awesome. If you listen to a lot of EDM. I would give these a go. There is a reason why this thread is based on the HTF600s and not the HTF890. Those are good phones but for your music of choice I will be telling you wrong if I told you the HTF890s are better for trance.. Try these out and find out for yourself.. You will see.

thank you.  can you be a little more specific so i can know what to expect?  :D  the OP mentioned the htf600's were ideal for a V-shape equalizer??  

doesn't that mean the mids are recessed and bass/treble are on the high side?  sorry i'm new -_-

I think i liked how balanced the DT880's were..and relatively balanced the htf890s were.  what do you think?    much appreciated :)

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,075 of 2,849
Nope the opposite. The mids are suprisingly forward so you will get all of the mids detail. A V shaped eQ enhances more bass and treble ideal for trance and EDM. For $30. Just try em.. Wait till you hear your favorite EDM tunes on these. You are in for a complete surprise. $30. I bet you will have never heard anything quite like em for this price.

I am willing to bet on it...lol!! These let you get immersed in your tunes and enjoy them. They aren't analytical by any means but musical in every way. You will see.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2,076 of 2,849

Quote:
Nope the opposite. The mids are suprisingly forward so you will get all of the mids detail. A V shaped eQ enhances more bass and treble ideal for trance and EDM. For $30. Just try em.. Wait till you hear your favorite EDM tunes on these. You are in for a complete surprise. $30. I bet you will have never heard anything quite like em for this price.

I am willing to bet on it...lol!! These let you get immersed in your tunes and enjoy them. They aren't analytical by any means but musical in every way. You will see.

that's good enough for me.  :D  I know $30 is cheap, and you'd think everyone could JUST get it...but i guess people are hording their funds for the next best can in the next up price range :)  But realize that I *could* spend $150..maybe really stretch to around $280 right now and get dt880 with price match -10% deal).... one of the biggest roadblocks for spending that right now is the wife -___-  I think I could get away with spending $150 on like Ultrasones.  

So considering it's only $30--I know this will be my last headphone purchase for I'm guessing at least a year.  Any other changes in this time frame and it'll raise too many eyebrows with the missus.  Once I get into dental school, there will be large joyous wife-approved upgrade :D  

one more question for you.  Like I mentioned above, I REALLY loved the DT880s.  For probably all the reasons why other people seem to give it rave reviews...  Do you think if I got something like that in the future, that would tide me over until I can lay down over $1000 for phones and DAC/amp etc?  In your opinion, what should I be shooting for in the future?  (I've only tried the dt880, dt770, senn hd380pro, HTF890, and my triplefi 10's as far as decent phones go :)   From where I'm coming from and my choices in music (my thread), do you understand why I like the DT880s?  Is there something else you would immediately suggest I shoot for?  

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2,078 of 2,849

Quote:
Listening to "Moby - The Collected B-Sides" on my HTF600s right now.  Wow.  Great Soundstage, Perfect Bass.  These cans are made for this album (and most of Moby's stuff in general).

is this your go-to headphone out of all the headphones you have listed in your signature?  just wondering if people are just buying this $30 headphone b/c it's really one that they could always use.....   or are just buying/testing it and keeping it b/c it's so good for the price....

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #2,079 of 2,849

Quote:
is this your go-to headphone out of all the headphones you have listed in your signature?  just wondering if people are just buying this $30 headphone b/c it's really one that they could always use.....   or are just buying/testing it and keeping it b/c it's so good for the price....

My memory of the DT880 is that it is bright, articulate, and fast with a very spacious and detailed sound. Midrange and bass are mostly neutral - not too forward and not recessed. Treble borders on sibilant and sometimes painful to me.

The HTF-600 is not at all like this. It is dark and thick sounding. Bass doesn't go deep, but there is a mid to upper bass hump that adds power to electronic dance music. For acoustic music, they sound muddy to me.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,081 of 2,849
Quote:
Listening to "Moby - The Collected B-Sides" on my HTF600s right now.  Wow.  Great Soundstage, Perfect Bass.  These cans are made for this album (and most of Moby's stuff in general).

For me, they are my most used headphone. As they are fun, warm and very comfortable (as I have the 250 pads).

However I do rotate use of all my headphones. I all depends on what I want to listen and how I want to.

Like right now, I am rocking my $7 Monoprice 8320s and loving them.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,082 of 2,849

My memory of the DT880 is that it is bright, articulate, and fast with a very spacious and detailed sound. Midrange and bass are mostly neutral - not too forward and not recessed. Treble borders on sibilant and sometimes painful to me.

The HTF-600 is not at all like this. It is dark and thick sounding. Bass doesn't go deep, but there is a mid to upper bass hump that adds power to electronic dance music. For acoustic music, they sound muddy to me.

i think i agree with your memory of the dt880.  isn't this the "fun" factor people talk about in this board?  what is dark and thick sounding...particularly for mids/highs?  

i'm just gonna order them right now..  I found em on ebay to be $5 cheaper than anywhere else, even amazon.  Although I have amazon prime, I think I can wait a few more days to receive them and save $5 on shipping.        Of course I'm probably gonna go over all the possible scenarios in my head a hundred more times before I click Submit Order.

Quote:
For me, they are my most used headphone. As they are fun, warm and very comfortable (as I have the 250 pads).
However I do rotate use of all my headphones. I all depends on what I want to listen and how I want to.
Like right now, I am rocking my $7 Monoprice 8320s and loving them.

I'm glad to hear they're not just a novelty headphone for people who actually have more expensive phones (and better).....  .....which i'm almost afraid to ask now.....BloodyPenguin, are the $30 panasonics your most expensive headphone?     :p  

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2,084 of 2,849
I haven't used another pair since i've got these. And yes, i have more expensive pairs.
redface.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,085 of 2,849

Quote:

i think i agree with your memory of the dt880.  isn't this the "fun" factor people talk about in this board?  what is dark and thick sounding...particularly for mids/highs?  

"Fun" can mean different things to different people. When I hear someone describe a headphone as fun, I interpret that to mean that they are colored to make them sound more exciting, ie: extra bass or shimmering treble.

When I say "dark," what I mean is that treble is dull and recessed. Percussion sounds like bells, cymbal taps, and wire brush strokes on a snare drum,for example are difficult or impossible to hear. This is appealing to some listeners because it is non-fatiguing but it can also take away the exciting and detailed sound that some people like.

When I say "syrupy," what I mean is that instead of bass that is punchy and impactful, it sounds more round and boomy. The bloat seems to bleed into the lower midrange and thicken up voices and other sounds. Individual instruments get muddy and can smear together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back