The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,636 of 2,849
Keep burning them in. I haaaaated them until about a couple of weeks ago. They're certainly not detailed, but they do sound good (although, with my MS1is finally coming home tomorrow, these will sit gathering dust, aside from late-night gaming).

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,637 of 2,849
Do yourselves a favor and remove the foam in front of the drivers if you haven't, for starters.

Then have a listen and see how they transform into another headphone. That foam really bogs them down. It kills the details. They're there, but hidden. Once it's gone it's still forgiving, but reveals a lot. Give it a try!

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,638 of 2,849
Proper burn in and equalization makes them way out perform their price point.  Mids really do wakeup after 50 hours.  Trust me.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,639 of 2,849
I have no clue how people can find it detailed. I like my HTF600s, but there's a reason why so many people who like it simply say it is "forgiving of source" -- it's the nice way of saying "not detailed, but I like their sound." The bass is very emphasized, so some people find it boomy. This problem can be solved mostly with EQ, though. 

Quote:
There's something I just don't quite get here...

Some of you consider the HTF600 to have "forward" mids, but other people find the mids veiled.

Then there's those who find the HTF600 detailed, while others find it muddy and poorly resolving of fine detail.

What gives? Do we all really hear that differently?

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #1,640 of 2,849

Quote:
There's something I just don't quite get here...

Some of you consider the HTF600 to have "forward" mids, but other people find the mids veiled.

Then there's those who find the HTF600 detailed, while others find it muddy and poorly resolving of fine detail.

What gives? Do we all really hear that differently?

That's interesting. I'll post my impressions after my HTF600 arrives. For the price point, I expect it to be a mini HD650 - veiled and muddy (The HD650 might be more detailed). If my predictions turned out the other way around, I'm a happy man.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,641 of 2,849
my background is in audio engineering and acoustic, Mostly building and designing large sound systems, but i have done my share of radio work and some recording.
needless to say, I've heard a lot of headphones over the years. a lot of AKG's and Sennheiser's. with some shure's and a few sony's here and there. but when it came to cans i actually owned,my go to phones were always a set of  senn hd280 pros and a pair of portapros.
recently, though, I've started getting into headphones. Over the past few months i've owned (in no particular order)  klipsch s4, koss kc75, grado sr60i, grado sr60 modded, bose in ear, and just recently the panasonic htf600's.
i bought them at the suggestion of malveaux. i figured, what the heck, 33 bucks on amazon, how bad could it be?
i got to admit, i like these cans.
Just for fun i compared them side by side to the bose ae2's on display at the target near my house. The bose had more forward mids, slightly sibilant highs, mediocre bass that was more overtone than actual bass and a blah soundstage.
the htf600's? much better soundstage, deeper bass. slightly veiled mids, (almost sennheiser like, in my opinion.) and fairly clean highs that seemed to extend fairly high.
in short, they blew the bose out of the water.
i'm working on picking up a set of denon ah d2000's and a set of ath-m50's to replace my now broken hd280's. until then, my new pannies will be more than adequate and are in fact quite fun.
 one quick question though.
why all the bass hate?
in speaker acoustics, you expect a speaker system to produce bass ( 100hz and below) and produce it well.
it's part of the music. Without it music sounds like crap.
so why does any headphone that produces bass suddenly called a "basshead" phone and tons of vitriol poured all over it by headphone enthusiasts?

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,642 of 2,849
I think the issue with bass is that, at least on Head-Fi, nobody seems to agree on how much bass is the correct amount, or how it should be presented.

For instance, a common complaint with electrostatics is that the bass isn't the slamming sort, but the deep, cavernous sort. You can hear it, but you won't feel it nearly as much.

There's also the reputation of bassy gear to just have one-note bass with lackluster mids and treble, sometimes cheap, sometimes way overpriced.

On top of all this, there's the listener's unique HRTF that affects headphones significantly more than speakers. I believe this is why a flat frequency response often isn't perceived as the most "musical" or "realistic" sound, because the HRTF skews that quite a bit.

As for whether or not the midrange takes a back seat...I noticed when fiddling around with EQ to figure out why the SR-202 sounded like it was missing something coming from the SR-Lambda that vocals changed most around the 1 KHz region, and most of us could indeed be judging midrange on vocals. Specifically, we might like our voices to clearly stand out from the music instead of possibly being lost in it. This may have caused some of my earlier impressions about the bass intruding on the vocals during the earlier stages of burn-in on the HTF600.

Finally, detail, at least in the transient response/speed sense. Is there any sort of sound I could listen to in order to compare this aspect between headphones?

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #1,644 of 2,849
I just saw this headphones on display yesterday when I was looking for a new headphone. It was on the shelves next on those Technics.

There were no demo units but the sales guy was kind to open up one to try with. I was curious so I tried them. 

These headphones are fun. I am not a basshead but the bass on these headphones are just right for my ears.  

But would it be weird if I use them for travels? It feels kind of heavy but I like the huge PANASONIC name on the headband.

beyersmile.png

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #1,645 of 2,849

I was about to give up this headphone but lucky to see this mod. It's a very simple mod but did transform the headphone with much wider sound stage and more details. I would recommend everyone to give it a try. It would only take one minute and cost nothing. 
Quote:
Yea I was thinking that too after being unsuccessful finding something that I could just stick on top of the pads. There's actually plenty of room beneath the pads, not very tight at all so you could actually make it stick out quite a lot this way too. What "foam" did you use, I'm having some hard time finding something worth sticking under them, may have to use toiletpaper lol. 

EDIT: Yes it worked nicely! I definitely approve this as a very easy soundstage enhancing mod. Just need a piece of papertowel for each side as that will have the perfect length that you roll into like aprox 1cm wide paper tube/roll and stuff inside:

EDIT2: It might actually have increased the bass response a bit, that's what my early impressions tells me. O.o I would be interested in hearing opinions on this mod from velour pad users.

EDIT3: Seems to provide a more V-shaped frequency response, the midrange seem to step backwards a bit like this.

EDIT4: Make sure at the upper-edge it's tighted very further back inside as otherwise I think you might be covering the upper vents which seems to result in a brighter/thinner sound and less airy soundstage. I seemed to have done so at first, started sounding better when pushing it further back inside the cup (mids come more forward again).

EDIT5: I don't seem to need any EQing anymore after doing this mod. I applied a slight V-curve EQ shape to it before which I don't need to with this mod.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,647 of 2,849
After being told to burn these in some more, I took that advice.  I had already burned them in for 40+ hours, and my nephew had added another 8 to 12hrs of use while playing games with them, but I couldn't hear any difference in the sound.  So, I put on some pink noise and let them burn in for a solid 24hrs.  That should have given them close to 75hrs of burn in time.

To my surprise, they do sound a little bit better.  Not great, but not horrible anymore either.

I did some direct comparisons with the three other headphones I have now: Koss Porta Pros, a Grado SR60i and an AKG 240 MK II.  After trying them out with a dozen or so different songs, in various genres, from the last section of Carmina Burana, a Dvorak violin concerto, a pure percussion piece, various classic rock songs and finally to the acoustic rock harmonies of Fleet Foxes, I've come to the conclusion that these Panasonics are still the worst sounding headphones I use.   I was definitely surprised that the extra burn in got them a little closer to the Porta Pro's though.

I prefer the quality of the bass in the Porta Pros, and their warm tone.  The Grado's simply kill the Panasonics in detail, clarity of notes, speed and vocals.  The AKG's have better soundstage, better presentation of the mid range and far better highs. 

The Panasonics still seem muffled and bass boomy to me.  The mids are so distant as to be hard to discern, and the highs...well that is a definite weakness.  The Panasonics introduced some distortion in certain high notes that none of the other headphones had. 

So, burn in does seem to help these a bit, raising them from poor quality sound to simply mediocre.  They'll be going back on the gaming computer for my nephew, so not a complete waste of $30, but not in any way outstanding either.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #1,648 of 2,849
I'm gonna side with you.  Over this last weekend, I did some extensive A/B tests, and I can say the honeymoon is over. I fell victim to all the excitement and let my own excitement get in the way of a clear mind.  In the end, these are not very good cans.  You can eq them and make them pretty good, but they still aren't overly solid.  I will use them as cheap travel cans, but that's about it.

I'm sorry I added to the fervor over this.  

Quote:
After being told to burn these in some more, I took that advice.  I had already burned them in for 40+ hours, and my nephew had added another 8 to 12hrs of use while playing games with them, but I couldn't hear any difference in the sound.  So, I put on some pink noise and let them burn in for a solid 24hrs.  That should have given them close to 75hrs of burn in time.

To my surprise, they do sound a little bit better.  Not great, but not horrible anymore either.

I did some direct comparisons with the three other headphones I have now: Koss Porta Pros, a Grado SR60i and an AKG 240 MK II.  After trying them out with a dozen or so different songs, in various genres, from the last section of Carmina Burana, a Dvorak violin concerto, a pure percussion piece, various classic rock songs and finally to the acoustic rock harmonies of Fleet Foxes, I've come to the conclusion that these Panasonics are still the worst sounding headphones I use.   I was definitely surprised that the extra burn in got them a little closer to the Porta Pro's though.

I prefer the quality of the bass in the Porta Pros, and their warm tone.  The Grado's simply kill the Panasonics in detail, clarity of notes, speed and vocals.  The AKG's have better soundstage, better presentation of the mid range and far better highs. 

The Panasonics still seem muffled and bass boomy to me.  The mids are so distant as to be hard to discern, and the highs...well that is a definite weakness.  The Panasonics introduced some distortion in certain high notes that none of the other headphones had. 

So, burn in does seem to help these a bit, raising them from poor quality sound to simply mediocre.  They'll be going back on the gaming computer for my nephew, so not a complete waste of $30, but not in any way outstanding either.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,649 of 2,849
You guys are good..After all these are cheaper cans. I think they are solid for the price and a good value. I only wish they had better resolution and detail but then they would cost a whole lot more as well. For what they are I still love em.. For the music l listen to they are a blast.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,650 of 2,849
They're ok for what they are -- $30 cans.  I like them for what they are, but they will never compete for time with my normal home rig.

Quote:
You guys are good..After all these are cheaper cans. I think they are solid for the price and a good value. I only wish they had better resolution and detail but then they would cost a whole lot more as well. For what they are I still love em.. For the music l listen to they are a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back