The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,531 of 2,849
The HTF600 sounds so great atm with ZO2 rev1 I'm soooo satisfied, I don't know if it's cuz of further burn-in of HTF600 or ZO2 burn-in (which I predict) the soundstage now is also very appealing. I have the ZO2 set to contour level where the indicator is glowing yellow (7 steps from lowest level out of 32 lvls possible). So strong punchy but well controlled and separated bass with good depth and width in soundstage now and mids are very "in-your-face" especially with the little modding I did. It's like when I listen to music I can't help but automaticly tap my foot, nod along with the rythm a little cuz it's so engaging listening experience! :D

What I find rather funny now though is that I've started to like Realtek HD ALC889A's onboard sound better now than Audigy 2 ZS with kX Audio drivers which I've been such a huge fan of due to the full control and adjustability you have over the hardware. I only did very minor EQ to the HTF600 and it's perfect (Realtek onboard's EQ is quite bad so you can only make small adjustments (I'd say up to like +/- 2 steps from default value), when you make too large adjustments it starts sounding noticably worse so it's important you get a headphone that sounds close to how you want it out of box).

I had to use Realtek onboard due to Skyrim not having proper volume levels with the Creative Audigy 2 ZS and the solution was to set Realtek HD onboard as 5.1 speakers for me to get normal volume in this game but even so I'd still recommend to use this speaker config all the time because it results in a lot larger soundstage and better positioning whatever you're gaming or listening to music (and you don't miss out on any sounds).

With these settings it sounds pretty much perfect for my ears on this Realtek HD onboard chip:

(EQ setting in steps from the default value)
31: +2,  62: +1,  125: 0,  250: -1,  500: +1,  1k: -1,  2k: 0,  4k: +1,  8k: +1,  16k: +1 (possibly +2, should optimally be in-between +1 and +2)  

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,532 of 2,849

Quote:
The HTF600 sounds so great atm with ZO2 rev1 I'm soooo satisfied, I don't know if it's cuz of further burn-in of HTF600 or ZO2 burn-in (which I predict) the soundstage now is also very appealing. I have the ZO2 set to contour level where the indicator is glowing yellow (7 steps from lowest level out of 32 lvls possible). So strong punchy but well controlled and separated bass with good depth and width in soundstage now and mids are very "in-your-face" especially with the little modding I did. It's like when I listen to music I can't help but automaticly tap my foot, nod along with the rythm a little cuz it's so engaging listening experience! :D

What I find rather funny now though is that I've started to like Realtek HD ALC889A's onboard sound better now than Audigy 2 ZS with kX Audio drivers which I've been such a huge fan of due to the full control and adjustability you have over the hardware. I only did very minor EQ to the HTF600 and it's perfect (Realtek onboard's EQ is quite bad so you can only make small adjustments, when you make too large adjustments it starts sounding noticably worse so it's important you get a headphone that sounds close to how you want it out of box).

I had to use Realtek onboard due to Skyrim not having proper volume levels with the Creative Audigy 2 ZS and the solution was to set Realtek HD onboard as 5.1 speakers for me to get normal volume in this game but even so I'd still recommend to use this speaker config all the time because it results in a lot larger soundstage and better positioning whatever you're gaming or listening to music.

With these settings it sounds pretty much perfect for my ears on this Realtek HD onboard chip:

(EQ setting in steps from the default value)
31: +2,  62: +1,  125: 0,  250: -1,  500: +1,  1k: -1,  2k: 0,  4k: +1,  8k: +1,  16k: +1 (possibly +2, should optimally be in-between +1 and +2)  

I just put in my order for a ZO2. Will test on everything from the HTF600 to my actual speaker setup down stairs (with double subs).

Very best,

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,533 of 2,849

Quote:
I just put in my order for a ZO2. Will test on everything from the HTF600 to my actual speaker setup down stairs (with double subs).

Very best,

Great timing, the digiZoid team will ship out the ZO2 rev3 from now on which seems to have fixed the small issues the previous ones had (rev1 slight hissing issue altough not audible with HTF600 and rev2 slightly too low volume for little more demanding headphone use). ZO2 v3 has high and low gain, low gain fits mostly with LOD/IEM use and I'd use high gain with HTF600 if you plug it directly to headphone jack which I do on my soundcard (they seem to have some proprietary design so "double-amping" won't have a negative impact on sound quality). For best quality if using headphone jack I recommend setting ZO2 to max volume and then controlling the source volume (for me it means having to use as low as 11-12% on Realtek HD onboard with ZO2 rev1). This way you also get the cleanest output (you can raise the contour level/bass higher without having to worry about distortion the lower your source volume is set)

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #1,534 of 2,849

Quote:
Great timing, the digiZoid team will ship out the ZO2 rev3 from now on which seems to have fixed the small issues the previous ones had (rev1 slight hissing issue altough not audible with HTF600 and rev2 slightly too low volume for little more demanding headphone use). ZO2 v3 has high and low gain, low gain fits mostly with LOD/IEM use and I'd use high gain with HTF600 if you plug it directly to headphone jack which I do on my soundcard (they seem to have some proprietary design so "double-amping" won't have a negative impact on sound quality). For best quality if using headphone jack I recommend setting ZO2 to max volume and then controlling the source volume.

Neat, can't wait to tinker with it.

Very best,

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,536 of 2,849

Quote:

Neat, can't wait to tinker with it.

Very best,

Also remember to burn it in, this device is definitely requiring it as it won't get any factory burn-ins whatsoever (digiZoid does check every unit so that it works before shipping out though). I also have ZO1 and ZO2 initially sounded slightly worse than ZO1 but after 20hrs or so it started sounding better at least with HTF600 and it kept improving at least up to 50 hrs but possibly beyond that too. It's the most dramatic change I've ever heard with some burn-in, I didn't even believe in amps could be affected by that but it had more affect than burning in HTF600 I'd say. Initially the bass response sounded a bit overhelming (even on lvl1-2 now I'm at lvl 7!) and the transparency was lacking somewhat, overtime bass got better controlled and a lot better transparency and some soundstage improvements.

Right now it sounds like listening to a speaker setup rather than a headphone. The sound gets such a colorisation of more powerful/weighty/forward/dynamic sound to it thanks to SmartVektor.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #1,538 of 2,849
What does recabling do?..I ask because I now have a pair of the RP-HT600s to compare to the RP-HT560s..The cable on the 560s in much thinner..Almost 3x thinner. It seems with the 600s the mids and highs are muted...With the 560 on many songs I have to back off the gain on the E6 about 10% with the Fuze EQ'd and maxed and the E6 maxed. The 600s I don't have to back the gain off at all..but they do not sound nearly as good in the mids and highs..

How does recabling usually change the sound of a headphone?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,539 of 2,849
Well I let them burn in yesterday and over night for about 10 hours and they are starting to sound like what I was hoping they would.  The mids and highs have started to really shine and the bass has more of a cleaner punch to them now.  I saw that people said to cut out the foam from them to get the highs to come through more and while I was hesitant to do it at first ( I mean I just got them) I went ahead and did it and man does it make a world of difference.  I also covered up the little ports on the sides to give it a more closed feel which I like to.  Now I can't wait to hear what they'll sound like after 50 hours of burn in.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,540 of 2,849

Quote:
Well I let them burn in yesterday and over night for about 10 hours and they are starting to sound like what I was hoping they would.  The mids and highs have started to really shine and the bass has more of a cleaner punch to them now.  I saw that people said to cut out the foam from them to get the highs to come through more and while I was hesitant to do it at first ( I mean I just got them) I went ahead and did it and man does it make a world of difference.  I also covered up the little ports on the sides to give it a more closed feel which I like to.  Now I can't wait to hear what they'll sound like after 50 hours of burn in.

Okay..so cut out the foam from the pad..not the cover over the driver?..I've heard both..I'm afraid to do either..especially the cover over the driver

nevermind..apparently there is no foam on the pads..so u mean uncover the driver

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,541 of 2,849
I'm sorry I should of said it better, yes cut it from the front of the driver it opens up the highs and mids much more imo.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,542 of 2,849
I don't think I've weighed in on these yet.  I've had them for a couple months now, but probably only have a dozen or two hours on them so far.  I'm too distracted by my other new headphones (I guess this is what happens when you dive in headfirst into this hobby).  Anyway, maybe they haven't burned-in enough yet, but so far I find them a great value for the price, and probably competitive with cans several times their price, but not exactly the $200 giant killer some find them to be.  I enjoy them more than my XB-500s, MDR-V600s, and SR-80is, but less than my HFI-780s, Pro 900s, and HD-600s.  This may partly be because I prefer sparkly to warm, and they're definitely more of the latter.  I'm probably going to get a second pair at some point so I can try some of the mods that supposedly bring the highs out.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,543 of 2,849
Sometimes I want to crank up my hiphop and or trance while I work. These are bumping on all my tunes just how I like.. This is a good choice for a gift or play your new games with..Value for fun..

I have the HFI-780 too. One of my faves actually. Just got the new AT A900X. I think HFI-780 fans would love these for sure.. My thoughts on em..http://www.head-fi.org/t/576301/audio-technica-releases-a500x-a700x-a900x-w3000anv/15#post_7936973

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,544 of 2,849
After using these for 3 days straight and returning to my primary setup, DT990 + Crack, I'm beginning to regret the $600 setup! The $30 cans sound so good for the music I listen to, and it's the warmth that I've been after for a while. Who would have known that they would be in $30 headphones
blink.gif
. I still love my primary, but not as much anymore after hearing the Panasonics...

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,545 of 2,849

Quote:
After using these for 3 days straight and returning to my primary setup, DT990 + Crack, I'm beginning to regret the $600 setup! The $30 cans sound so good for the music I listen to, and it's the warmth that I've been after for a while. Who would have known that they would be in $30 headphones
blink.gif
. I still love my primary, but not as much anymore after hearing the Panasonics...

It good to have your higher ends too but,. I know what you mean.. It is the fun signature which to me is just as good as a neutral one or a detailed one..I think enjoying your music is a good thing and hearing the HTF600 it don't matter what the price it is.  I can enjoy my tunes on them as much as my new A900X..That is where the real value is. Glad you see the reason for the thread..It is awesome that 100 plus pages in and there are guys just discovering these..Well your case was unique though but better late than never.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back