The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #1,516 of 2,849

Quote:
The ZO is not an amp.

It is, it's just the latest revision which is highly likely to not be around for long (and probably won't even be shipped out if placed an order now) that can't be concidered one. On my ZO1 as well as ZO2 rev1 I go from like 38% volume to 11% volume on the source for same volume level, that's pretty significant amping if you ask me.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,517 of 2,849

Quote:
It is, it's just the latest revision which is highly likely to not be around for long (and probably won't even be shipped out if placed an order now) that can't be concidered one. On my ZO1 as well as ZO2 rev1 I go from like 38% volume to 11% volume on the source for same volume level, that's pretty significant amping if you ask me.

I remember them mentioning that they use some kind of proprietary technology.
And unless you're plugging the ZO to your source via it's Line Out, you're double amping,
which makes the volume lower than it would be without an amp in between. 

Besides, he just wants to be able to increase the volume without distortion, not extra bass
slam. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,518 of 2,849

Quote:
I remember them mentioning that they use some kind of proprietary technology.
And unless you're plugging the ZO to your source via it's Line Out, you're double amping,
which makes the volume lower than it would be without an amp in between. 

Besides, he just wants to be able to increase the volume without distortion, not extra bass
slam. 

They even mention on their preorder page:

Dual Amp Configuration

ZO employs a 2-stage amplification system to control EMI/RFI, and deliver high output power. Therefore, using ZO with another amplifier is unnecessary, as it will drive high impedance headphones without breaking a sweat.

(however with the latest revision this would be inaccurate as the gain seems to be set too low now but they are working on a solution)

The ZO1 had just an amp config, ZO2 also has opamp/preamp. And ZO is more than just "extra bass slam", I didn't buy it for that at least. I bought it for SmartVektor tech which is their licensed sound tech which no other amps are able to provide. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,519 of 2,849
I think the Fiio E6 is amazing..Sansa Fuze + E6 ..Sansa maxed  with EQ set to a v pattern and E6 maxed with 6db boost ..or the 3db mid boost..or the flat boost maxed..Listening to Metallica Justice cd flac..No distortion on any songs..

I can't get these 600s to distort..The 560s do at about 85%..but the 560s sound better..better mid and highs and better soundstage..I might need to burn the 600s more..IDK..only have about 8 hours in them

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,520 of 2,849
The headphones distort once the bass gets to a certain point...wether i use the fiio e5 or e11. the bass doesnt distort. the highs distort at the frequencies of the bass. for example on an "s", when the bass hits a low constant note at say 20hz its like this...sssSSSsssSSSsssSSSsssSSSsssSSSsss.

The source nor the amp is distorting.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,521 of 2,849
Just got my pair after a month of waiting for the seller to stock up - well worth the wait! Definitely competing against my DT990 + Bottlehead Crack combo, it's amazing how it sounds right out of the box. Might pick up another pair for the heck of it, and maybe to mod!

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,522 of 2,849

Quote:
Just got my pair after a month of waiting for the seller to stock up - well worth the wait! Definitely competing against my DT990 + Bottlehead Crack combo, it's amazing how it sounds right out of the box. Might pick up another pair for the heck of it, and maybe to mod!

Oh damn you just got them? WOw that took a long time. Iam glad it was worth the wait.. They do get better with the burn. SO burn away my friend... I have mine on a rotation with some new phones I have gotten recently but they are a staple for me.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,524 of 2,849
I imagine they'll probably stay pretty cheap from here on out, or at least they will after Christmas.  They had their moment in the FOTM hype machine spotlight, then received tons of backlash over it.  Now that the general sentiment seems to have hit rock bottom (the Typical Headfier Andy thread seems to be moving on to fresher targets), they probably won't see too many dramatic swings, just a slow rise toward an appreciation for what they are.
smile.gif

I must say that don't think I've especially noticed break-in, although I've grown to appreciate the headphones more over time.  If anything, I think my perception has loosened up more than the drivers.  Their overall character, strengths, and weaknesses remain the same as always, but I think I've come to a better level of acceptance with them.  I could be underestimating the tendency of these headphones to actually change though too, due to my bias toward downplaying burn-in.  (I do tend to believe in break-in and defend it on a theoretical level, since AFAIK it's been scientifically demonstrated to occur for loudspeakers in a big way, for better or worse.  Extending the concept to headphones is more a matter of degree than principle, so I find it a bit myopic that some people treat the whole concept as an object of ridicule.  At the same time, I'm pretty reluctant to credit/blame break-in for my shifting impressions over time, because I suspect the degree to which it affects headphones is probably grossly exaggerated around these parts.)

As a side note, I haven't been getting any pops/clicks for weeks.  I think I'll attribute that to my haircut keeping my hair out of the driver's way.  I also haven't had any more channel imbalance or dropout problems, thankfully.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #1,525 of 2,849
what is the general impression fo the build quality of these?  I am trying to decide between these and a set of xb500s for casual listening.  I picked up some jvc harx500 and they sound alright but they feel so flimsy I hate wearing them.  They were $10 on sale so I dont regret the purchase, but they arent very satisfying.  So how do these pannies feel build wise?  I have had a set of xb500s in the past so anyone that owns both could give me a good frame of reference for sure.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #1,526 of 2,849

Quote:
what is the general impression fo the build quality of these?  I am trying to decide between these and a set of xb500s for casual listening.  I picked up some jvc harx500 and they sound alright but they feel so flimsy I hate wearing them.  They were $10 on sale so I dont regret the purchase, but they arent very satisfying.  So how do these pannies feel build wise?  I have had a set of xb500s in the past so anyone that owns both could give me a good frame of reference for sure.

Heya,

I have both. The XB500 is a little flimsy by comparison. The HTF600 is rather sturdy. Both are great for the price range. Equalize the XB500. Or, get the HTF600 and you don't have to equalize. Very similar at that point.

Very best,

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #1,527 of 2,849
perfect, thanks for the response.  i thought the xb500 was reasonable but no tank so if the pannies are better, I cant argue with that.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #1,530 of 2,849
Well I've had mine only for about an hour now so not even close to being what they'll sound like and I must say they are fun to listen to.  The bass is very nice and since all I listen to is electronic music they're great for that.  The mids are some what weak but still there I hope that will change after they burn in.  As for the highs I really like the way they sounds its kinda in the back ground but also very present if that make since.  Female vocals sound very smooth with full body.  Even without a chance to burn in I can see already that these will be some fun cans to listen to edm with and for only $30 thats great, thank MalVeaux for suggesting to me.  I could have spent way more money on some AT's or Shure's but I think I'm going to be very happy with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back