The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,456 of 2,849

Quote:
I got a set of these today, definately a fun can I'm going to try to put 100 hour on them right off the bat.  I removed the foam, might mod this a little.  I see the driver holes are covered up.  Anyone want to try the Grado hole punch mod to add more bass? lol

Glad you like your new WTF600s. Thanks for the name Assimilator702..More bass? I want to hear what these would sound like in Wooden cups.!

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,457 of 2,849

Quote:
You really make me tempted to remove the foam from the front, I've heard several times what a big difference it can do to speakers with a similar foam cover, you wouldn't believe it does such a big difference like it does, one of my friend usually take em off of his speakers cuz it makes them sound that much more clear and detailed.

I am tempted as well RPG to do that. Let us know your impressions if you do remove the foam. Vodkex really likes the effects it has on the sound. Its got me curious.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,458 of 2,849
The more I listen to these the more it reminds me of my old Fischer Audio Eterna.  While it's not the most detailed or resolving set of cans, it is very musical and fun to listen to.  It's got big powerful sound and it's never boring.  Probably not the best set for critical listening though lol.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,459 of 2,849

Quote:
The more I listen to these the more it reminds me of my old Fischer Audio Eterna.  While it's not the most detailed or resolving set of cans, it is very musical and fun to listen to.  It's got big powerful sound and it's never boring.  Probably not the best set for critical listening though lol.

I learned to love most of the music I still love on equipment that would be labeled unresolving and lacking detail. As my gear "improved" I got to hear how that music was recorded.

I still prefer hearing The Beatles playing over supermarket speakers.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #1,460 of 2,849
Audioengine A2 will trump those supermarket speakers every time. (not that I have heard them.)

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #1,461 of 2,849
Ive listened Panasonic HTF600 and JVC RX700 about one week. Compared to Philips SBC HP890 they dont come close. Philips soundstage is much wider and bass texture is more detailed. I really "tried" to like Panas and JVC but they actually are just loud and on your face. Pretty much like studio monitoring headphones are as their function is to highligh instruments as individuals, not as a whole. HP890 is also very comfortable and comes with velvet cushions.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #1,462 of 2,849

Quote:
Ive listened Panasonic HTF600 and JVC RX700 about one week. Compared to Philips SBC HP890 they dont come close. Philips soundstage is much wider and bass texture is more detailed. I really "tried" to like Panas and JVC but they actually are just loud and on your face. Pretty much like studio monitoring headphones are as their function is to highligh instruments as individuals, not as a whole. HP890 is also very comfortable and comes with velvet cushions.

Yea we all got different taste. I'm probably the opposite, I like the in your face sound and would probably dislike the philips more laid-back soundstage. The Panasonics might have slightly TOO much up-close stage though even for me that usually like this kind of sound, this is the first headphone that I experienced as it might have too much of an "in-your-face" sound which sure is fun and engaging but the stage size suffers a bit from that. It's fine if I'm listening to music but for gaming it's not quite optimal. At least now I know XB500's soundstage is about right for me in terms of how close it sounds like I'm to the stage with the band playing.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #1,463 of 2,849
Got the HTF600 earlier today, and in my opinion, these are really muddy cans! I'm not saying I'm surprised they have less any sort of detail or articulation than my Ultrasone Pro 750, but I'll say the 30 euro Superlux 660 and 662 are definately better too — the Superluxes have solid bass (the 660 a little less), but also some mids and treble if you'd like to hear any of those. The Panasonic is annoyingly muddy the same way the Sony XB's annoyed me, but as I remember the Sonys had even some sort of mid and treble. Don't get me wrong, I want bass in my cans too, and the Superlux 662 and my Ultrasones deliver it.

Have you guys experienced a miracle opening up of the sound with burn-in? Like you actually thought they were muddy bass only, like listening to music with fingers in your ears, but then burn-in opened them up? Otherwise these are going straight back.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #1,464 of 2,849

Quote:
Got the HTF600 earlier today, and in my opinion, these are really muddy cans! I'm not saying I'm surprised they have less any sort of detail or articulation than my Ultrasone Pro 750, but I'll say the 30 euro Superlux 660 and 662 are definately better too — the Superluxes have solid bass (the 660 a little less), but also some mids and treble if you'd like to hear any of those. The Panasonic is annoyingly muddy the same way the Sony XB's annoyed me, but as I remember the Sonys had even some sort of mid and treble. Don't get me wrong, I want bass in my cans too, and the Superlux 662 and my Ultrasones deliver it.

Have you guys experienced a miracle opening up of the sound with burn-in? Like you actually thought they were muddy bass only, like listening to music with fingers in your ears, but then burn-in opened them up? Otherwise these are going straight back.

I was a sceptic, but I have to admit they opened up significantly after 50+ hours of burn in. The mid-bass bloat is still there and so the mud never completely disappears, but it does improve significantly with time.

FWIW, I plugged these into my iPod and set the EQ to "Bass Reducer" and the sound improved a lot. The bloat is gone and they sound much more neutral this way. They won't satisfy the bassheads like this, but it illustrates that there is absolutely no lack of treble - they are actually brighter than my HD600's.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #1,465 of 2,849
AWESOME MOD. Long story short I figured out that these Panny's like to distort ALOT with any more than 75ish mw of power on any low bass note. Also, they are terrible as far as isolation goes. Heres what I did.

Open those cans up.

1: Seal those things up! Screw that material over the main port..Gorilla tape over ALL ports including the top ones near the arms attach to the cans.

2: Simulate a bigger can by adding 1 stretched out jumbo cotton ball or whatever you choose to use. Fill the entire middle of the can.

3: Close them up, watch the wires though.

Done!

Now the pros and cons...and comparison!

Sound: Better. Hear things clearer, same but less distorted tighter bass.

Soundstage: Meh. Was a little better.

Power: Handles literally 2x the power without distorting.

Isolation: Was there any before? now there definitely is.

COMPARISON: MODDED HTF600 vs. MDR-V6

Finally, similar sounding.

Sound: MDR-V6 wins...kinda.
It has much more clarity and can dip lower in sub bass though it has much less punch and quantity.

Soundstage: HTF600 ftw.
Pretty simple.

Power: MDR-V6 wins...kinda.
Less bass, Less distortion. I'd consider that cheating. Distortion is different. It only affects very high frequencies. The HTF600's distort the lower highs and mids affecting female voices, cymbals, synth's, etc...

Isolation: MDR-V6 wins...again.
Tighter to the head and actually closed cans. Only won by a little.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,466 of 2,849
I'll give that a try. I'll see how closing them up and adding cotton mixes with damping the back of the cups with felt.

I sometimes don't like how much they leak :/

---------------------------------

Wanna share something with you guys. I tried recabling those the other day, I didn't like the stock cable. I wanted something stronger, more substantial. So I recabled directly to the drivers, + to + and - to - for each channel. Nice DIY cable! but...

It sounded horrible, and I hadn't reversed the wiring. Apart from sounding thin, there was a noticeable lack of soundstage right in front of my head... something was really wrong. Thankfully I had taken pictures of the stock wiring job inside the phones... To my surprise, after studying the wiring... There's some signal mixing going on here. Some form of crossfeed if I'm not mistaken? Sorry for the picture quality, I only had my phone when I took these.

Left driver
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9b6f8c160617225

Right driver
http://www.imagebam.com/image/8dfeca160617217

Ground from the TRS jack (blue) goes to the left driver's ground. Left signal (gold) from the TRS jack goes to the left driver's + pad.
Right signal wire (red) is soldered to a solder pad not connected to anything, it's just there for an easy and safe way of connecting that to the right driver + pad, through the internal wire.
Now, right "ground" (Gold) is connected to left signal + (gold) pad in the left driver :/

Soldered this way it sounds the way we all love and appreciate, with a full 300° soundstage. Not as open and detailed as other cans, yeah, but quite circular nonetheless. Solder the signal wires the usual way, and you get a weird sound, broken up soundstage... they sound like rubbish. I decided to keep the stock cable after this. If you ever recable those, keep in mind how they're wired from factory, don't try to do it the usual way.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,467 of 2,849
Quote:
I'll give that a try. I'll see how closing them up and adding cotton mixes with damping the back of the cups with felt.
Wanna share something with you guys. I tried recabling those the other day, I didn't like the stock cable. I wanted something stronger, more substantial. So I recabled directly to the drivers, + to + and - to - for each channel. Nice DIY cable! but...
It sounded horrible, and I hadn't reversed the wiring. Apart from sounding thin, there was a noticeable lack of soundstage right in front of my head... something was really wrong. Thankfully I had taken pictures of the stock wiring job inside the phones... To my surprise, after studying the wiring... There's some signal mixing going on here. Some form of crossfeed if I'm not mistaken? Sorry for the picture quality, I only had my phone when I took these.
Left driver
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9b6f8c160617225
Right driver
http://www.imagebam.com/image/8dfeca160617217
Ground from the TRS jack (blue) goes to the left driver's ground. Left signal (gold) from the TRS jack goes to the left driver's + pad.
Right signal wire (red) is soldered to a solder pad not connected to anything, it's just there for an easy and safe way of connecting that to the right driver + pad, through the internal wire.
Now, right "ground" (Gold) is connected to left signal + (gold) pad in the left driver :/
Soldered this way it sounds the way we all love and appreciate, with a full 300° soundstage. Not as open and detailed as other cans, yeah, but quite circular nonetheless. Solder the signal wires the usual way, and you get a weird sound, broken up soundstage... they sound like rubbish. I decided to keep the stock cable after this. If you ever recable those, keep in mind how they're wired from factory, don't try to do it the usual way.

Strange. I had mine recabled the "normal" way, and aside from accidentally reversing the channels, I have not noticed any irregularities in the sound.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #1,469 of 2,849

Are the beyerdynamic velour pads worth it? Do they reduce bass? Are they thicker and not as stiff compared to the stock?

Quote:

Yeah that and a sealed vs ported system sealed takes more power but has better, more accurate sound. Also isolation is better, so you can wear them in louder places without blasting them. Hell, why not.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #1,470 of 2,849

Quote:
Are the beyerdynamic velour pads worth it? Do they reduce bass? Are they thicker and not as stiff compared to the stock?

Yeah that and a sealed vs ported system sealed takes more power but has better, more accurate sound. Also isolation is better, so you can wear them in louder places without blasting them. Hell, why not.

The pads don't harm the bass, it was my biggest concern, and I ended up liking it better with the pads because I felt like the headphone gained some edge in mids & treble, but kept it's nice warm boomy bass. They're about as thick as the stock pads. They're obviously softer, and make you less sweaty since you don't have pleather right on your skin.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back