The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,441 of 2,849

Quote:
I have been playing with an IPod app called EQu and it allowed me to make the Panasonics sound just like I like it...

Just a little on/off topic here with Equing and apps for Equing.

Not sure which I-pod you are using, but if it's 4th Generation, Iphone 3GS, Iphon4 or 4S. I highly recommend getting an App called Capriccio.  It has minimal manual and directions.
However, it's very easy to use. It has a varied selection of pretuned EQ sets and as-well as a Customizable user effect that lets you EQ it exactly as you'd like. And it can go from a 3 stage EQ and up to 8. It's not as customizable to the point of EQu where you can literally manipulate 15 - 20 points of the FR, however, in my opinion it does it better. It never distorts, and never limits your EQuing to the point where the sound from your portable will distort (as EQU does, which I might add annoyingly). Even with reduction in distortion or safety mode on the EQU applied, I found myself struggling to EQU it to the point I like it as it kept on indicating distortions when my headphones could clearly handle it.  Further, Capriccio is also capable of playing Flac files seamlessly as as-well as integrate existing play list or files on your ipod app itself.  And it has a far higher volume output than EQU from all counts that I could hear.

You should give it a try. The Ad version is free, and the ad-free version is 0.99 cents. With only difference being the ads roaming at the bottom that could lead you to links.

P.S. if you do get it, in order to add content, just click on Apps during connection in Itunes (on your device), scroll to the bottom and you'll see app that you could add content to. One of them should be capriccio. Simply either Drag and drop or add via itunes own search and open system.  I found drag and drop easier.

Good luck and happy listening.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,442 of 2,849
This probably has been done about 30 times in this post, so sorry if you guys are re-reading this.

I just got my ATH-M50s in the mail. I have very little experience with headphones, but to my untrained ears, they sound awesome! Right out of the box, powerful bass, good mids and highs a little bright, but can be easily equalized.

What surprised me is that for kicks, I put back on my HTF600s... and... they are not that much different! I actually find the bass on the HTF600s a little more precise. Apart from build quality (the M50's seem army grade) it is amazing how much sound value one can get with the HTF600s.

Now I am buying the Monoprice DJ headphones next. I am wondering if they will be as good?

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,443 of 2,849

Quote:
This probably has been done about 30 times in this post, so sorry if you guys are re-reading this.

I just got my ATH-M50s in the mail. I have very little experience with headphones, but to my untrained ears, they sound awesome! Right out of the box, powerful bass, good mids and highs a little bright, but can be easily equalized.

What surprised me is that for kicks, I put back on my HTF600s... and... they are not that much different! I actually find the bass on the HTF600s a little more precise. Apart from build quality (the M50's seem army grade) it is amazing how much sound value one can get with the HTF600s.

Now I am buying the Monoprice DJ headphones next. I am wondering if they will be as good?

Well.You are getting 3 similar style phones. You thought about getting something completely different? Like an open phone for example? Just a thought. By the way the monoprice phones are sold out at the moment.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,444 of 2,849

Quote:
Well.You are getting 3 similar style phones. You thought about getting something completely different? Like an open phone for example? Just a thought. By the way the monoprice phones are sold out at the moment.

I guess I am a bit of a basshead. Although I was expecting similar response, I was not expecting the actual performance to be so close... impressive.

So right now my list is only ATH M50 & Panasonic HTF600. I returned the CAL!s. I think I am going to buy the Monoprice next, and the Sony XB500 in Xmas. But I agree with you that all these may be similar sound signatures.

I am thinking to buy the Superlux HD662 or the HD668b. I truly enjoy closed cans since I do a lot of listening next to the wife, and she does not necessarily want to listen to my music leaking from the phones.

What other phones would you suggest Dsnuts?

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,445 of 2,849

Quote:
The bass got a bit tamed, it's still present and it still hits you with a baseball bat when needed, but it's not as overpowering as before. Mids and highs open up a lot, vocals are something out of this world on these... guitars too.
I like them without the foam more than stock.
It's not irreversible, if you're careful and tear the foam right where it's glued you'll end up with a foam disk that you can glue back on whenever you like... If you're careful.

Man I am really itching to remove the foam off the drivers. Thanks for your description of the changes to sound  vodkex. Anyone else do this and what are your thoughts on the sound  changes?

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,446 of 2,849
Remove the foam and put some felt inside the cups, on the face directly opposite the driver. Both mods complement each other quite nicely.

Don't cover any breathing holes in the cup with the felt, soundstage and presentation will suffer otherwise.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #1,447 of 2,849

Quote:
I guess I am a bit of a basshead. Although I was expecting similar response, I was not expecting the actual performance to be so close... impressive.

So right now my list is only ATH M50 & Panasonic HTF600. I returned the CAL!s. I think I am going to buy the Monoprice next, and the Sony XB500 in Xmas. But I agree with you that all these may be similar sound signatures.

I am thinking to buy the Superlux HD662 or the HD668b. I truly enjoy closed cans since I do a lot of listening next to the wife, and she does not necessarily want to listen to my music leaking from the phones.

What other phones would you suggest Dsnuts?

Well You definitely need to try an Ultrasone HFi-580 or DJ1..  Closed cans. Take a read on these. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass/75#post_7891289 Both the HDJ500s and the AT WS55 are excellent bass heavy portables. Something different. If you want to try something a bit higher end and have the cash..A Denon D2000s are excellent for the cash..  You mentioned the superlux models those are great for the cash as well.. I just bought a Fischer FA-011 and a new AT ATH-A900X..  The Fischer is an open phone that has bass which is almost a rarity and the New ATH-A900X model are revised version of Audio Technicas Closed A900. I am looking forward to both..

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #1,448 of 2,849
I can't recommend too many Higher end phones since I really won't forgive myself for spending anything over $140 (retail on them) - But, street price, you can get quite a few great ones, as suggested above.

However, if you're looking for budget and portable, and still can't get enough of bass signature... Then you really can't go wrong with the XB500's, they're like a great High performance Long-Throw subwoofer on your ears. Comfy too. Very portable and needs no amping at all. If anything, they're arguably almost sound the same amped and not. However, if you want something that is just as Bassy but more controlled and refined Highs and Mids, then I suggest the XB700, the step up. I wouldn't argue that they're better, just slightly different. 

The Monoprice/Kicker HP541 are always a good choice. Though you won't get the bass-heaven you're looking for.
That's all I can muster up for portable.

For non-Portable - if you want something that's also very refined, exceedingly precise, analytical and surprisingly with good low end, try the Shure SRH840.  They're easily pushed off of a portable like Iphone-4 and such.. However, clearly would benefit an Amp. And they respond really well to EQing.  However, not the most portable gear. But, if you invest in the shorter straight cable, you might be able to carry them as portable. I use my own 440's for portable use. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but well worth it.  It will shock most people that use them for EDM and Psytrance.. Somehow it just works for me. I get all the detail, and the bass... Well.. no color, no bloat and nothing heavy.. just right.  Anyone who had the Sennheiser HD280 and the 440's and the 840 will tell you just how well they stack up.

Also, a bit pricier, not as portable, definitely could use an amp, supra-aural design.. The Grado PS500's.  Stellar headphones. Clearly colored in the His and upper mids.. but.. shockingly provide good dose of bass and midrange bassline that smooth out the sound. Nice and Balanced.
And if you're for more budget wise, SR60i.

Good luck with the music.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #1,449 of 2,849
Okay..I hope nobody here has to call Panasonic for support..No wonder they get over looked in every electronic area..they do not care about their business..AT ALL..Worst experience..ever...It took 7 phone calls

From what I finally was able to find out

The RP-HTF560s is the U.S. model(discontinued product)
The RP-HTF600-S is the U.K. model
They are the same product

I also inquired about the
890s(Edit:U.K.model)  and the
770s(U.S. model)discontinued product)

I don't know if this matters to anyone or not...

Now I'm worried because I have a really nice Panasonic camera and if I ever need help this is the last company I think would be helpful

If you're content and happy and wish to get really pissed off and unhappy call 1-800-211-PANA (7262) and inquire about any of their product..Good luck

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,450 of 2,849
I'm amazed at the resolving capabilities of the drivers these headphones use after you take off the foam and do the mods.. First time I can discern so easily drumming from bass guitar, it's usually a bass mess down there. I can also hear the little details in the songs, I'm even noticing new stuff I've never heard with the SR850s (which are quite detailed). I'm talking about dream theater, I'd say their songs are quite a challenge for most headphones out there... these pannies don't break a sweat. Most importantly, these sound right, coherent, musical. You get the "full package" of what you're listening to, not parts that seem disconnected from each other. I didn't experience this with the SR850s.

I see they also benefit from amping, my amp's heatsinks have never been so hot... those BUF634s are hard at work! Make no mistake, they sound beautiful without an amp, yet bass gets even stronger with one, more defined. Damn, I can feel the air moved by these drivers on every drum kick and I'm not even going overkill with the volume...

There's some extreme bang for the buck going on here.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,451 of 2,849
When my headphones arrive, I'm going to play these through a smarthphone (Samsung Galaxy Gio), because I don't like to have an external audio player with me. Are these gonna sound enough good for listening when I'm outside or should I consider buying an amplifier?

(enough good = better than Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000's :p)

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,452 of 2,849

Quote:
When my headphones arrive, I'm going to play these through a smarthphone (Samsung Galaxy Gio), because I don't like to have an external audio player with me. Are these gonna sound enough good for listening when I'm outside or should I consider buying an amplifier?

(enough good = better than Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000's :p)

You might need to up the volume a bit on these but I would try it out and see how it works first. If not, something like a E5 or E11 will throw in that extra volume. I threw the HTF600 on my Sony walkman and it played with plenty of volume. I would just try it first.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,453 of 2,849

Quote:
I'm amazed at the resolving capabilities of the drivers these headphones use after you take off the foam and do the mods.. First time I can discern so easily drumming from bass guitar, it's usually a bass mess down there. I can also hear the little details in the songs, I'm even noticing new stuff I've never heard with the SR850s (which are quite detailed). I'm talking about dream theater, I'd say their songs are quite a challenge for most headphones out there... these pannies don't break a sweat. Most importantly, these sound right, coherent, musical. You get the "full package" of what you're listening to, not parts that seem disconnected from each other. I didn't experience this with the SR850s.
I see they also benefit from amping, my amp's heatsinks have never been so hot... those BUF634s are hard at work! Make no mistake, they sound beautiful without an amp, yet bass gets even stronger with one, more defined. Damn, I can feel the air moved by these drivers on every drum kick and I'm not even going overkill with the volume...

There's some extreme bang for the buck going on here.

You really make me tempted to remove the foam from the front, I've heard several times what a big difference it can do to speakers with a similar foam cover, you wouldn't believe it does such a big difference like it does, one of my friend usually take em off of his speakers cuz it makes them sound that much more clear and detailed.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,454 of 2,849

Quote:
Okay..I hope nobody here has to call Panasonic for support..No wonder they get over looked in every electronic area..they do not care about their business..AT ALL..Worst experience..ever...It took 7 phone calls

From what I finally was able to find out

The RP-HTF560s is the U.S. model(discontinued product)
The RP-HTF600-S is the U.K. model

I also inquired about the
890s(Edit:U.K.model)  and the
770s(U.S. model)discontinued product)

I don't know if this matters to anyone or not...

Now I'm worried because I have a really nice Panasonic camera and if I ever need help this is the last company I think would be helpful

If you're content and happy and wish to get really pissed off and unhappy call 1-800-211-PANA (7262) and inquire about any of their product..Good luck

Thanks for the info. I remember I had to deal with Electronics Depot. Folks I purchased the WS50 from. They had a great price on Amazon so I bit, order confirmed.. A week later I get the earphones alternative. I get the . And I call these numb skulls and what you know they say it was their mistake that they would send me a pair asap after I send their earphones back. Ok so I send it packing for another week to pass and I call them and it took over an hour of waiting and then they cancelled on me.. Thats whats up with great service.!

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,455 of 2,849
I got a set of these today, definately a fun can I'm going to try to put 100 hour on them right off the bat.  I removed the foam, might mod this a little.  I see the driver holes are covered up.  Anyone want to try the Grado hole punch mod to add more bass? lol

Edit: Just got done doing some mods, these are now much more balanced, though the bass weight is still there.  They are comfy cheap definately can take these outside and not worry about it too much.  My only complaint is that they leak a lot for a closed design..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back