The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,111 of 2,849
So guys can you try convince me that velour pads would be a good purchase? I would have to pay 26.90 EUR incl shipping as I'll have to order abroad which is quite a lot compared to 35 EUR paid for the headphones. I already like how it sounds like with stock pads but the sweating issue is a bit annoying to me and the pads also kinda stinks as a result which doesn't give that much of a fresh imagination of them. Remember I'm a basshead so I wouldn't like a lot change in the bass response, I can probably EQ out the difference if it's just a small change, but I especially enjoy the sense of impact in the bass that at least these pleather pads provide. In some midbassnotes these "thuds" even harder than XB500 does, XB500 is more like a thump than thud that is a tiny bit softer and less tight and a bit all over the place. :p

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #1,112 of 2,849
Actually I think I might not have to order the pads, my mom is seamstress and I already talked with her about it and she will probably make some custom velour pads for me, yay. :p

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,114 of 2,849
Well I don't think I want those holes on the underside, the stock pads doesn't have them but I still figured the underside/half of it has to be made of pleather/leather so only the front side is velour and then at same time I'd want to increase the inner diameter a bit so the space around the ear is possibly even a bit larger than the stock pads and the padding part a bit smaller around the ears instead which I think wouldn't hurt from a soundstage perspective. 

Or maybe should try something extreme and make some XB500 variant for HTF600! xD Nah I think the thick pads wouldn't play nicely with HTF600's sound signature, it would put more space between the ear and the driver and I kinda like the very "up-front" sound of HTF600 so.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,115 of 2,849
Well after 50 hrs. of burn-in . Here are my thoughts on the Panasonic HTF600s vs, JVC RX700s. I do this challenge because both have the same MSRP and both have a reputation for both sounding beyond their asking price. 

Comfort- I would give the edge to Panasonic. The JVC-RX700's are big and heavy. Panasonic's are much lighter and have a more comfortable fit.

Durability/Build Quality- I would give the edge to JVC-RX700's. The JVC's have a more solid substantial feeling to them. A thicker cord to boot. The JVC's cord is looped on the inside of the can to prevent ripping out the cord if snagged. The Panasonic 600's are not looped to prevent this.

Portability- Panasonic has the edge here by a hair. Much lighter and more attractive headset. Unless you like walking with the JVC's and looking like a helicopter pilot. LOL. The only concern as RPGWizard mention is the cord not being knotted. That may hamper portability.

Sound- I would give the edge to the JVC RX700s but not by much and it depends on the genre of music. Anything with vocals, I find the JVC present them with a crispness and brightness that the I like to hear in the singer's voice.  The Panasonic's are warmer sounding but not by a huge margin and I definitely wouldn't call it a veiled sound.  Bass is light with the RX700's but not bass shy. The Panasonics excel in Bass . The thumping and quality of the bass really surprised me and I found the Panny's created some new life in some of my old Kraftwerk (electronic) tracks. Very enjoyable listening with electronic type music.  The JVC were no slouch either but the Panny''s win in the electronica genre. I find that in pop and rock music, the JVC's did a better job with the separation of instruments and the sound seemed more detailed and more depth while the Panasonic's seemed to splash the sound with less depth . The Panny's were still a joy to listen too in the pop and rock genre's because of the outstanding element of bass.  Those are pretty much the four genre's I predominantly listen to. 

Conclusion- While I clearly like both headphones for different reasons, I find the JVC's are more capable in more genres than the Panny's. I find the Panasonic's to be a bargain for what they offer in the bass department but they do not replace my Rx700's. They compliment them is how I would say it. For my electronic listening, the panny's is the phones I am going to grab but for anything else, my JVC's are more satisfactory. 

Winner: JVC RX700s-  more capable in more genres. 

Thanks DSNUTS for introducing me to the Panasonic HTF-600s' They are my bass phones now !! They crush the Portapros.

I will post another follow up at 100hrs and see if anything changes.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #1,116 of 2,849

Quote:
I'm the opposite and want the highs to sound like this, I sold Beyer DT770 Pro/80 partly cuz of this, while having great detail it was too much for me, I prefer a warmer sound when mids are slightly more forward than highs. So for me these HTF600 are very much worth $150 stock and $200+ with mod/tweaks/EQing. In comparision I had only paid $100 if satisfaction would determine the price for DT770 Pro/80 for example or Denon D1100 I had only paid 60~$70 for that sound which is far less than they cost.

So don't forget about the personal preferences in sound, price has never been a good indication of the satisfaction you're about to get. You need to find your preferred sound and then look up the best candidate for you to get the best satisfaction. As far as HTF600 goes it's very very close to my optimal preference in sound so therefore I value it so high. Unfortunately it's very uncommon to find expensier headphones with similar frequency response balance curves that would do everything better why I'm kinda stuck with these low cost headphones. XB500 also had this similar kind of frequency response curve but it was too exaggerated, HTF600 is more balanced with very forward mids despite being so bassy which is what I love with these.

Nicely Said, I was never been a fan of great detail or bright sound. "So don't forget about the personal preferences in sound, price has never been a good indication of the satisfaction you're about to get."  that's exactly what I think..Thank you.

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,117 of 2,849
Seems like they are out of stock again in the Amazon website
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,118 of 2,849

Quote:
Even bigger exposure.??.Hmm.Do we want to tell the world about these? Make them sell out in a hurry?  Or hoard them for all of us first. Let it brood for a bit longer.?? What say you guys...

Seriously. You guys are already saturating sales and I bet prices are going to rocket soon, they dont seem to be too bad on amazon, but those are the famous last words.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,120 of 2,849
Quote:
would there be anyway to tie a knot so the cable doesnt get damaged easy?

There seems to be a good sized gap between the cable and the tube it enters when it goes into the cup.  I'm thinking some low-temp hot glue might provide some strain relief. Even better would be to inject some silicone sealant in there with a syringe.  I haven't had mine apart, but I can't see anyway to knot it on the inside without de-soldering it.  Maybe you could put one or two of the really tiny zip-ties around the cable on the inside to act as a stopper?

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #1,123 of 2,849
The velours from Amazon that were available for like 5 minutes shipped a few days earlier than they said they would, they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow but my headphones won't be here till Monday.  woot woot.  I'll just be happy to have some comfortable headphones, my M50's were like a vice.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,124 of 2,849
Hello!

So I've had these past the 50 hour burn in now and I'm very satisfied with the sound compared to my old gaming headsets (Corsair HS1 and Logitech G35).  Being I use these mostly for playing games I've made two additions.

The first is the addition of a boom mic.  I decided to go against the mighty Zalaman as I wanted something a bit more directional.  The ModMic by AntLion sold here on Amazon turned out to be a great purchase.  I'm finding it funny how everything people are buying for this headset costs as much as the headset itself.  Below are some pics of the mic attached and I have a review on Amazon for it as well.

The second item I purchased is an in line volume control that can individually adjust the volume of the left and right channels.  I added this as my old gaming headsets could have windows thinking 7.1 surround and then output to the sound card where it was changed into L/R and you could then adjust those volumes.  I have hearing loss in my right ear so this feature is very much so needed by me.  The Creative X-Fi had this in Music Mode but not Gaming Mod.  The Sennheiser HZR-62 does this very well.  In addition it has an incredibly long cord that is just wrapped up behind my computer...

The last mod well posted in this thread is these Velour Pads.  I don't have them yet because my luck with the RNG on Amazon just sucks.

For EQ settings I found I liked to boost the very bottom end as most music sources I listen to don't have this and when it is there I want to feel it!

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #1,125 of 2,849
Very nice mods.. For gaming.. I would absolutely advise the velours for you. I like how there is added air to the sounds when gaming. Almost sounds like a open phone. Adding to the comfort level as well. That mic I might have to try that for myself as my clip on mic people are just complaining that my voice quality is not good. Have to go in and out of vent just to get the volume up. Speaking of gaming.. EVERYONE needs to get BF3.. If you guys play one game a year.. This game has to be it. Just simply phenomenal!! =SOC= 24/7 CQ Maps  My clan 64 man PC server.. Look for it if you guys play the PC version.. I hear the console versions are all playing smooth too..The HTF600 sounds stupendous with the game.  Bullets, explosions, the carnage is insane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back