The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #571 of 2,849
I was in Best Buy last night and I think I got the kid in electronic interested enough to order a pair. His reference was Skull Candy Aviators and Beats Pro...I told him these HTF600 will smoke those units for a fraction of the price.

There was an older gentleman listening to a pair of Beats Pro so I tried sell him on a pair of HTF600 but I think he thought I was nuts...he said he owned the Beats which shocked me....he must not know much about headphones.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #573 of 2,849

Quote:
I was in Best Buy last night and I think I got the kid in electronic interested enough to order a pair. His reference was Skull Candy Aviators and Beats Pro...I told him these HTF600 will smoke those units for a fraction of the price.

There was an older gentleman listing to a pair of Beats Pro so I tried sell him on a pair but I think he thought I was nuts...he said he owned the Beats which shocked me....he must not know much about headphones.

I think one of icesharks experiments will be very interesting and I believe a blind test to see what the general public would prefer. The HTF600s or the Beats... I personally think it would be entertaining to take your HTF600 out to a best buy with your music source and have people that listen to the beats then listen to a HTF600.. Then tell them how much they cost..

Well to the unknowing public a $400 headphone must be proper and must sound like a $400 headphone. To that guy I am sure he loved his beats pros. Same with guys that have skull Candys and the like..The smart consumer would look up reviews and do some research but many will just throw down the cash not knowing you can get so much more for you money. For $400? I would buy a HTF600 w/ velours and a Denon D2000... A 2 for one.!

Maybe a HTF600 w velours and 3 more pairs to give to family and friends and then a new Sansa clip with a E11..And still have around a $150 left for a nice movie and a dinner for the wife so she won't be so pissed that you bought a bunch of headphones and toys for yourself.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #574 of 2,849

Quote:
what kind of velours are you using??

Thinking of picking up a pair of these

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318793034&sr=1-1

Give them a go..I don't know if this thread hyping them helps cushion the shock on them but they are shockingly good and worthy to add to your collection.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #575 of 2,849
I've already laughed at an imaginary "Beats Studios vs HTF600 scene" several times in my head now:

Me: Hey man, try these Panasonics they will give your Beats some serious run for the money 
Him: No way bro! Beats are the best headphones on the planet especially for bass!
(after 5 min persuasion he finally accepts to give them a try)
Him: *barely tries to look convinced at first but starts giving a more "What"-look after every 5 sec that passes* Woah, this some serious **** man! I bet they cost like $500
Me: No they cost $30...
Him: <insert epic fail face gesture here>

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #576 of 2,849

Quote:
I've already laughed at an imaginary "Beats Studios vs HTF600 scene" several times in my head now:

Me: Hey man, try these Panasonics they will give your Beats some serious run for the money 
Him: No way bro! Beats are the best headphones on the planet especially for bass!
Him: *barely tries to look convinced at first but starts giving a more "What"-look after every 5 sec that passes* Woah, this some serious **** man! I bet they cost like $500

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #578 of 2,849
I still miss a few things in these HTF600 compared to XB500 but when I put on XB500 I miss a couple of things from the Panasonics. I'd want XB500's bass, soundstage and comfort with HTF600's mids and highs. :p The mids are so amazingly forward at all times especially with the mod but the bass is like tooooooooo controlled & clean for my taste sometimes depending on music I listen to, no matter how I boost it, it always just stays controlled and doesn't turn the headphone into a mess, mids always just stays clear and up-front which kinda amazes me but it's the basshead in me that sometimes want to enjoy a bit more "uncontrolled" bass too, it's like too much of a "headphone"-bass vs XB500 which reminds you more of a subwoofer kind of bass compared to most headphones. For most people this is a good thing indeed and I can imagine how much praise it would get from some people, I've never even got close to a headphone that's capable of bringing so much bass but so controllably, it's insane! Maybe the mod has to do with it, it certainly didn't become weaker, possibly the opposite but probably got a bit more controlled.

The funniest comparision is using the ZO amp where the Panasonics still sounds reasonably balanced and there's no hint of boomy bass even at max bass level and the mids gets out in a very clear way even at max contour level (which I think theoretically adds like 9~13dB boost at the max lvl 31 depending on headphone a bit) and despite you can feel the bass and the earcups vibrating, it just doesn't sound like a mess, mids are there unaffected as ever and stays clear and forward and you don't hear reverb in the bass or anything, it's just strong tight bass but then again there's not much difference, if anything at all, after around lvl 5-6 or so compared to lvl 31. Do this with XB500 and it sounds like you put the ear next to a subwoofer port at the max level, it happily goes overboard and would gladly work as an earthquake simulator if you let it. xD

Well the Panasonics doesn't lack in bass quantity for me (ok I did have to boost the deep bass by like ~3dB to get it even sounding down low compared to the midbass), it's just the way it handles the bass response is not optimal from the spoilt bassheads point of view in me. :p Other head-fiers will probably love this controlled bass though! I still like them though, especially for pop music with a focus on the vocals and ballads but there's certain music I wish I could have XB500's bass in it. I think pop is the most suitable genre for it due to the punchy tight but strong bass and very forward mids and reasonably neutral highs.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #579 of 2,849
I'm not too concerned about the bass.  A good sound on either one would be enough and I think they both qualify.  Its merely down to pricing and portability.  

The panasonic has 10ft of cable, any suggestions on dealing with this.  I am mainly looking for cheap headphones that have good sound and should keep my ears warm in the winter considering I generally don't wear a toque. 

I think this thread sold me on these headphones but the 10ft of cable is now my issue (can't believe I didn't realize this earlier).

thanks

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #581 of 2,849

Quote:

Oh trust me....if I had my HTF600 on me and he listened to them he would have realized they would serve up a serious beating on those over priced trash cans.

He gave me a few of those sideways glances like I was trying to pull a fast one over on him.....hey I can hand you the secret elixir but if you don't want to take a sip....thats more for the rest of us.
wink.gif

The amount of reverb those cans add to the music is rediculous. That is truely a colored can....and not because of any shortcomings of the driver....it's what Monster designed into the unit and intended which is very sad. I would have to listen to them on my own setup to be %100 positive but I knew the things I was hearing was un natural.

The only attributes the Beats have that is really nice is the build quality....thats it.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #582 of 2,849
Hey Souji.. You still using your HTF600s?. I don't know how much of this is placebo but.. I think my HTF600s sound better and better the more I use them.. Is it just me?

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #583 of 2,849
lol i bit. will give an honest opinion sometime after i get them

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #584 of 2,849

Quote:
lol i bit. will give an honest opinion sometime after i get them

You have some of the previous budget greats so you will definitely appreciate this one.. They will add nicely to your collection.. Though it will be hard to go back to listening to some of your older budget cans. Let us know how you like them..

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #585 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey Souji.. You still using your HTF600s?. I don't know how much of this is placebo but.. I think my HTF600s sound better and better the more I use them.. Is it just me?

Maybe they're continuing to burn in. How long have you been using them, again?

Of course, it's said that our brains burn in just as much as a dynamic driver does, in a sense, as if we're getting psychologically accustomed to a given headphone's sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back