The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Mar 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,266 of 2,849
Just got them. Listening to them right now.

First off, I don't like them with the Beyer Velours. I find they loose a significant chunk of their signature bass, while not really doing too much to help the sound. I guess they make it slightly more mellow or balanced out, but they nearly cost as much as the headphones themselves, so I find them a crummy value. The original pads are still very comfortable, but may heat up after extended use, in which the velours would probably have the advantage.

Okay, so from memory, I personally think these sound better than the M50. I felt the M50 sounded pretty darn good and was relatively balanced with heavy bass cues, but it felt like the vocals were overshadowed and blanketed. With these, I was pretty shocked out how well you can differentiate the midrange from the bass. So far, I haven't even had the urge to touch my EQ, yet. All in all, I think these may be the best headphones I've for $30 and under.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2,267 of 2,849
Katun, Its been a while. Nice to see you getting a pair of these. They do get better with burn. Interested to hear what you will think after some burn time..

Oh and with hotter weather around the corner. The velours make it so everything is just more comfy and non sweaty so they have their use. After some burn then try the velours out.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,268 of 2,849
Quote:
Katun, Its been a while. Nice to see you getting a pair of these. They do get better with burn. Interested to hear what you will think after some burn time..

Oh and with hotter weather around the corner. The velours make it so everything is just more comfy and non sweaty so they have their use. After some burn then try the velours out.

Yes, yes it has. Kinda forgot you're the one that created this thread.

Yeah, I think I'll have to try the velours some more. I didn't spend too much time with them. I'll probably do more of a comparison between the two after these get some burn in. They're just so dang hard to get on! But I'll definitely give them more chances before I make any final conclusion. But as for the headphones themselves, they still rock either way. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2,269 of 2,849
Yes they do.. These have created quite the following here at headfi. I still use my reviewed pair every day. You want to talk about value.. They are excellent for movies and games too. Give them at least 50 hours.. Any more they get smoother with time/ use.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,270 of 2,849
Hmm, testing them again with velours right now and they almost sound more muddy. I dunno, but something sounds off. Switching back to the original pads reveals that seems to be the case. The midrange seems to be a bit more present with the stock pads, and the tonality doesn't seem too off anymore. Bass in general is kinda a toss up between the two, but I think I like the stock pad bass slightly better.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,271 of 2,849

Quote:
want to buy a pair of headphones for my friend. he's not really an audiophile. he likes rock & classical... I don't want to spend more than like $36.. should i get sennheiser HD201 for $20, HD202 for $30 Panasonic HTF-600 for $34, closed...tiny bit open? Superlux HD681 for $36? semi open thanks

Just got the Superlux HD661 for testing and they are excelent right out of the box. Great for classical due to refined mids and highs and wide soundstage for a closed can. Good for rock due to great vocals (lush and sweet) and precise bass. Very impressed with them.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,272 of 2,849
So you haven't done any burn in at all? They will change after burn time. Forward mids are kinda surprising on these. The sound will be much more cohesive and smoother overall after some burn time.It is kinda surprising this comes from a $30 headphone no? Believe me the first time I heard these I was shocked. I remember starting this thread after 24 hours of burn and the bass being much more complete. Bigger more impact. Overall a much more fuller and smoother sound. It was astonishing.

Heck I am still astonished today. Lol!

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2,273 of 2,849

That was exactly my take on the velour pads. I just didn't like the change to the sound signature. Put the original pads back on and it sounded much better IMO
Quote:
Just got them. Listening to them right now.

First off, I don't like them with the Beyer Velours. I find they loose a significant chunk of their signature bass, while not really doing too much to help the sound. I guess they make it slightly more mellow or balanced out, but they nearly cost as much as the headphones themselves, so I find them a crummy value. The original pads are still very comfortable, but may heat up after extended use, in which the velours would probably have the advantage.

Okay, so from memory, I personally think these sound better than the M50. I felt the M50 sounded pretty darn good and was relatively balanced with heavy bass cues, but it felt like the vocals were overshadowed and blanketed. With these, I was pretty shocked out how well you can differentiate the midrange from the bass. So far, I haven't even had the urge to touch my EQ, yet. All in all, I think these may be the best headphones I've for $30 and under.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,274 of 2,849

Quote:
So you haven't done any burn in at all? They will change after burn time. Forward mids are kinda surprising on these. The sound will be much more cohesive and smoother overall after some burn time.It is kinda surprising this comes from a $30 headphone no? Believe me the first time I heard these I was shocked. I remember starting this thread after 24 hours of burn and the bass being much more complete. Bigger more impact. Overall a much more fuller and smoother sound. It was astonishing.

Are you talking about the Panasonics or the HD661's?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,275 of 2,849
Quote:
Just got the Superlux HD661 for testing and they are excelent right out of the box. Great for classical due to refined mids and highs and wide soundstage for a closed can. Good for rock due to great vocals (lush and sweet) and precise bass. Very impressed with them.

Woah, never seen those before. I may have to look those up, cause I'm looking for a decent closed can that isn't too expensive.

Quote:

If the bass cleans up just a tad, I think we'll have a real winner. I leave them burning in tomorrow when I leave for work.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,276 of 2,849
I just got them. No burn-in made. Pretty good for the price. The mids might sound unnatural, at first I thought they were recessed, but I think there might be a valley in the mids' frequency response which is noticeable with vocals. Great bass extension I think, impact is great, an it's not over-the-top for a closed can. I'm not too good at judging treble, but I can see it extends decently, they don't feel dark at all. Really good soundstage for a closed, probably has something to do with the size of the cups. And they sound clean, House music synths sound really great with no bumps. So you would assume detail wasn't all that, but honestly they have more detail than I expected. I'd say these are the overall good pair of headphones: bassier-than-neutral without being basshead, well-extended treble without being bright, good soundstage, decent mids that could be more upfront. They just do everything well. These seem amazing for electronica, and if you like hearing the bass strings and reverb of the brass, and you can handle slightly synthetic vocals they should make Jazz sound good too.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #2,277 of 2,849
The mids will probably change with burn-in as to me the vocals and mids sounds very up-front and in-your face. At first I thought female vocals especially sounded slightly recessed but now I think they are very nicely forward sounding.

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #2,279 of 2,849
Around 500Hz there's probably a small dip, I gave it a very slight boost there at least but at 1kHz it's very forward again. My EQ settings looked like:

But yea nothing major required for my ears optimal balance for this headphone: 31: +2dB, 62: +1dB, 125: 0, 250: -1dB, 500: +1dB, 1k: -1dB, 2k: 0dB, 4k: +1, 8k: +1dB, 16k: +1dB (should be more like +1.5dB if I had a more precise EQ to work with :p

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #2,280 of 2,849

Quote:
Around 500Hz there's probably a small dip, I gave it a very slight boost there at least but at 1kHz it's very forward again. My EQ settings looked like:

But yea nothing major required for my ears optimal balance for this headphone: 31: +2dB, 62: +1dB, 125: 0, 250: -1dB, 500: +1dB, 1k: -1dB, 2k: 0dB, 4k: +1, 8k: +1dB, 16k: +1dB (should be more like +1.5dB if I had a more precise EQ to work with :p

Thanks RPGWiZaRD.  Using those EQ Settings, I was able to get the best sound out of these.  I was starting to get frustrated, because I was having trouble getting them to sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back