The PA2V2 Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #692 of 752
  I have a question, how long does the shipping takes? (i live in the netherlands) and has anyone tried these with beyerdynamics dt 770 pro 80 ohms?

Hi mrkb,
I just ordered my PA2V2 last week. I live in The Netherlands too. Gary sent mine out last thursday - he said it should take 5-10 business days (so 2 weeks) to the Netherlands.
I will let you know when it arrives.
I was still in the process of finding myself a new pair of headphones when I was e-mailing with Gary before ordering my amp and he said anything up to 120 ohms should work fine with the PA2V2.

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #695 of 752
So I never received my PA2V2 may be lost in transit, Got one from member of head-fi. Initial impression with my clip+ player is increased soundstage.

c96f41f0f3ca91bf7673043004886bd8.jpg

Sent from Android "a google product" :)

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #696 of 752
So I never received my PA2V2 may be lost in transit, Got one from member of head-fi. Initial impression with my clip+ player is increased soundstage.

c96f41f0f3ca91bf7673043004886bd8.jpg

Sent from Android "a google product"
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you get any added amplification with this setup? I used the same when i hade the pa2v2 and all i got is noise. Sounded better out of the sansa.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #697 of 752
[quote name="Arvan" url="Did you get any added amplification with this setup? I used the same when i hade the pa2v2 and all i got is noise. Sounded better out of the sansa.
[/quote]

Yes right now I am at only about 60% of Volume on player and on AMP around 50% Volume. Even I have reduced gain too.

Did you use normal AA batteries or Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. Normal batteries tends to Add too much Noise and Hiss...

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #699 of 752
So here is the Pros and Cons of PA2V2 headphone amplifier.

Pros -

1. It definitely shapes the output music by adding some oomph to bass. Listening to bass heavy tracks are bliss as there is NO distortion in lower frequencies.

2. Clears and reshapes the high frequencies - Treble. Hence it becomes more clear and somewhat a little less due to which you don't feel ear fatigue.

3. It doesn't color the sound way too much and sounded close to the original music output. The changes I mentioned above are good as they removes the distortion.

4. Pretty much powerful for any headphone out there, I used Sony MDRV55 40 ohm with just around 1db gain on amplifier. So can say any headphone till 120 ohm will sound loud enough.

5. No hissing sound even with maximum sound on AMP.

6. Battery life is impeccable. More than 80 hours of continous listening on 2 Ni-Mh AA Betteries.

7. When using in Car between Aux cable and player. You will be amazed how your car stereo sounds.

8. Lifetime warranty. The Amp is construction is so simple that one can even solder components if one goes bad.

9. The person Gary makes each and every AMP by hands and may be the nicest person you may find online. Exceptional customer service.

Cons -

This amplifier is said to be portable. However paired up with any player out there and you may not be able to keep it in any pocket. Unless you have Cargo pants.

Below 10% of volume levels, there is noticable channel imbalance.

When charging batteries in AMP, there is no indicator.

Summary -

This Amp can be used anywhere from high end home theatre systems to phones, mp3 players, Radios, Car stereo, Watching movies at night with headphone from TV.

Below is the link of his website.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

There is a good news for bike riders

He also makes amplifier for bike riders where you have 3 inputs, 1 for music and 2 for walkie talkies. Gary calls it Amplirider and i think just 5usd more.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #700 of 752
Hi everyone, the PA2V2 is my first portable amp and I have no idea whether I should use a normal 3.5mm jack or some micro usb to 3.5mm concoction when using it with my android phone (Oneplus One).
I have the FiiO iDevice lightning port to 3.5mm cable so I thought there must be the android equivalent.
Am I missing out on something or is Phone->3.5mm to 3.5mm->PA2V2->AKG K612 Pro the right way to do it as it is?
Sorry for the obvious obliviousness and incompetence, but I literally couldn't find the answer in 2 hours worth of google fu.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #701 of 752
  Hi everyone, the PA2V2 is my first portable amp and I have no idea whether I should use a normal 3.5mm jack or some micro usb to 3.5mm concoction when using it with my android phone (Oneplus One).
I have the FiiO iDevice lightning port to 3.5mm cable so I thought there must be the android equivalent.
Am I missing out on something or is Phone->3.5mm to 3.5mm->PA2V2->AKG K612 Pro the right way to do it as it is?
Sorry for the obvious obliviousness and incompetence, but I literally couldn't find the answer in 2 hours worth of google fu.

That will be very interesting except FiiO never makes such an iDevice Lightning cable.

Anyway, a USB DAC is probably a bit too complicated for your level right now, so I'll suggest using a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable for now. USB DAC for Android can be a hit or miss, depends on the smartphone model, so I'll suggest you take a step back and do more research (especially on OnePlus One's support for USB DAC) before getting one.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #702 of 752

That will be very interesting except FiiO never makes such an iDevice Lightning cable.

I mean this LOD cable http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L-Shaped-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B00KO835KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420474311&sr=1-6&keywords=fiio+lod

Granted that I will probably follow your lead and keep to simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm, could you explain to me the proper chain one should set up between an android phone and the PA2V2 (or any 3.5mm input amp for that matter)?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #703 of 752
  I mean this LOD cable http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L-Shaped-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B00KO835KU/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420474311&sr=1-6&keywords=fiio+lod

Granted that I will probably follow your lead and keep to simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm, could you explain to me the proper chain one should set up between an android phone and the PA2V2 (or any 3.5mm input amp for that matter)?

That's indeed a LOD, but it is for 30 pins connector, not for Lightning connector. Apple remove all analog output when they move from 30 pins to Lightning, so Lightning connector only send digital signal. So you will need an external USB DAC to do digital-to-analog conversion in order to have an analog signal that you can send to PA2V2 for amplification. Anyway, the point is FiiO doesn't make any of such device that supports Lightning connector officially

If you are using 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable, max out the volume on your Android phone and adjust the volume on the amp.

If you want to go further with an USB DAC, you need to have (1) an Android smartphone that supports USB DAC, either natively or via a software player called USB Audio Player Pro (can be found in Play Store). You also need (2) an compatible USB DAC, mainly it must be self-powered. Lastly, you will need an USB OTG cable that connects the smartphone to the USB DAC, which can be find on places like eBay and so it isn't too difficult. Of course, if you want to use PA2V2 for amplification, you will want a USB DAC that is capable of outputting line-out signal as well.

Anyway, the truth is, most decent USB DAC that is designed to work with Android phone will probably have a better headphone amp section as well, so that will make your PA2V2 obsoleted

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #704 of 752

That's indeed a LOD, but it is for 30 pins connector, not for Lightning connector.

Of course, if you want to use PA2V2 for amplification, you will want a USB DAC that is capable of outputting line-out signal as well.

Yeah, I didn't actually mean lightning port, my bad, I meant the iPod classic 30 pin connector, I don't know why I called it lightning port.

Now let's say I trust my android phone internal DAC enough to keep it but I have high impedance cans that need amplification: is there any advantage and quality gain in plugging the phone into the amp through some kind of mini USB -> 3.5mm, rather than just going through the phone's headphone out? If yes, what cable/cables should I use?

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #705 of 752
USB uses digital signal where 3.5mm uses analog signal, so the two naturally do not like to mix together, nor can you find a cable that can magically plug into both at the same time. You need a USB DAC in between them and not two ways about it.

Asking whether a "USB -> 3.5mm" cable will be better than just the headphone-out is like asking whether putting a CD inside a cassette player will somehow makes the cassette player sounding better, while all the time ignoring that you can't put a CD inside a cassette player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back