The PA2V2 Thread
May 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #721 of 752
I'm thinking about buying the Hifiman HE-400 and this amp. Gary said they would work together but the amp would struggle with the HE-500. When you say turn up the gain does that just mean opening up the amp and turning a knob? I'm new the headphone world and I've never owned an amp so I don't know how amps and gain are related.

According to Audiobot 9000 the PA2v2 should be able to cope with both HE400 & HE500 but Gary is an Electrical Engineer so he should know best.

Yes, the Left & Right Channel Gain knobs are accessed by opening up the amp. In layman's terms, these will alter the sensitivity of the volume knob.

May 16, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #722 of 752
yep a slight mod to this.

I use this amp coupled with the Colorfly C3 and it is an excellent combination.
Initially I got two, one for a gift.
It has no issues driving various older orthodynamics, though I did turn up the gain screws from what they were set stock.

Battery life is simply insane but see below
beerchug.gif

I got curious with this one after a year or two using it
ph34r.gif
, even though stock sound is really enjoyable and good with the C3 combo ( C3 is slightly on the brighter side ) I went in and added 2 more batteries in parallel so it should be getting ~240 ish hours per charge now, easily double at least from before which was already in stock form over 100+ anyhow.
Bumping up the voltage slightly resulted in unfavourable issues, so it was kept stock voltage. I didn't feel like altering the original design much anyhow, it has to stay as an uber PA2V2 or it would not be the same in my mind.
Used the top notch Tenergy low self discharge brand, pretty sure it was the Tenergy Centura.

This meant I needed to put the thing into a new larger case. Settled on a Hammond black bodied rectangular thing with grey rubber edges, same thickness as stock more or less.

Since I was doing that anyhow I replaced the two filtering input caps with solid Sanyo OS-CON SEPC low ESR of the same values
 http://diyparadise.com/oscon.html  ( The SEPC Series is designed to have an even lower ESR than the SEP Series )
The two larger caps were replaced with ELNA TONEREX to bolden up the low end/ouput.
 I could barely get it all to fit but it did. ELNA were too tall to mount normally so they had to go sideways using some small gauge silver-plated  kapton wire.

Wanted to change the led to orange but the square small orange tagged one turned out to be a hot reddish colour anyhow. Oh well.

Don't like shutting it off. Actually I probably don't need to now :)

May 16, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #723 of 752
Thread is no good without pics

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #725 of 752
Well I ordered mine 2 days ago. Planning on using it as desktop amp and around the house. Has anyone combined the PAV2V with Superlux HD 668B? please share your experience. While they don't need amping, I'm also curious about how it changes the sound of the Xiaomi Pistons. 

All the reading of LOD cables makes me want to bring back to use my iTouch 2G and buy the LOD: iTouch > LOD > PVA2V > HD668B ¿is this Generation iTouch good for this combo? To be honest, I dread of installing iTunes but if its worth it, I'll give it a go.

I've also exchanged a couple emails with Gary, he's such a fine gentlemen, glad to have people like him in the audio community. I'll upload pics, hopefully, soon.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #728 of 752
What cables is everyone using to connect the PA2V2 to a lightning apple device? Looking at a lightning to 30 pin adapter and a 30 pin to 3.5mm on Amazon. Moon audio also had a cable for $125, but looking for a cheaper option.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #729 of 752
What cables is everyone using to connect the PA2V2 to a lightning apple device? Looking at a lightning to 30 pin adapter and a 30 pin to 3.5mm on Amazon. Moon audio also had a cable for $125, but looking for a cheaper option.

I don't have the latest iPhone so I won't be using lightning but this would be part of the chain :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Right-Angled-Cable-iPhone-Black/dp/B005N6ZAT2

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #732 of 752
How does this little thing sound with the HD25 Aluminum??
Anyone with experience on this combo??

I've got HD25-1 II and a PA2V2, but don't think I actually have ever listened to them as a combo! I bet they would make the HD25 (any version) a bit more laid back. If I can get around to it, I will test it out and report back.

edit: did a brief A/B test with HD25 and PA2V2 vs. JDS Labs c421. One main difference I noticed was the bass was slower & less dynamic from the PA2V2. Otherwise, I'd say it's a decent enough pairing.

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #733 of 752
Hello guys. Sorry for bumping this thread but I'm in the market for a nice and cheap amp and found the PA2V2. I recently ordered the v3 pistons and was wondering if it would be worth it to take a dive and add this amp for it. Also have the v2's so I'm inclined to get the VA2V2 but is it worth it or do you guys recommend something newer (at a decent price range).

I think the price for the VA2V2 has gone down and $65 seems reasonable considering the high praise it has gotten.

Thanks and sorry for my noobishness!

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #734 of 752
It's been said before but let me say it again:

Gary ROCKS at customer service!!!

gs1000.gif

I lost the charging cord for my PA2V2 and didn't know where to find a replacement, so I emailed Gary and he's sending me one for free!  Three years after I bought the thing!  And I didn't even need to pretend my dog ate it!

In fact, I don't even have a dog...

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #735 of 752

Users who are viewing this thread

Back