The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Dec 1, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,156 of 2,630
LOL,I actually like the bass response of Grados,its the comfort,or lack thereof when my upper earlobes get pinned to my skull that keep me from getting a high end pair.

I know with my ATH AD2000 ,which has a similar fast(lightning)guitar forward sound as the Grados,when plugged into vintage gear bass is visceral at the cost of speed and bloat...same with my Fidelio X1s,my son's 80e and my long departed Alessandros too.

Yeah. I'm just goofing on the RS-1's. I dearly love the sound of Grado's, but yeah, they kill my ears as well. I haven't tried their IEM's yet. Any experience?

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,157 of 2,630
Not I...Homie dont play IEMs

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,158 of 2,630
Two good releases schedule for tomorrow, but are available now, both from Finland, both on Svart label:

Thanks for that...Hard Action sounds quite promising!

EDIT: Just bought it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,159 of 2,630
BTW, the combination of iPhone X, FiiO i1 and Meze Neo 99 is punching WAAAY above their combined weight class. Now, nothing I have competes with my Benchmark/Liquid Carbon with my Alpha Primes or HD-800S's. But the Meze with the FiiO out of the iPhone is pretty darned remarkable. So far Elder "Lore" and Agalloch is just sounding totally right, and the slight bass boost in the Neo's is really working right now. I'm pleasantly surprised, TBO. Looking forward to the new Doom Charts (October was actually kinda 'meh' for me.)

Oh yeah, one other little thing. Today I started my PhD in Psychology...

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,160 of 2,630
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,162 of 2,630
LOL,I actually like the bass response of Grados,its the comfort,or lack thereof when my upper earlobes get pinned to my skull that keep me from getting a high end pair.

I know with my ATH AD2000 ,which has a similar fast(lightning)guitar forward sound as the Grados,when plugged into vintage gear bass becomes visceral at the cost of speed and bloat...same with my Fidelio X1s,my son's 80e and my long departed Alessandros too.

pretty sure those are all lower impedance than the grados, no?

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,163 of 2,630
Dont think so.i looked up your pair last night and it said 32ohms...maybe its incorrect info I was reading?

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,164 of 2,630
Tasty Traditional Doom from Down Under...

Gawd, I love Bandcamp!!!!

Anyway, this is far from the typical Doom release. Female vocals that are strong, and thankfully no auto-tune applied. This sounds like a real voice!

Also, they mix styles, as in some 70's funk type stuff, pre-Disco. Most Doom albums get stuck in the same droney/sludgey morass, and can get a bit...taxing...after a while. Not so with this band. I highly recommend this eclectic blend of heaviness.

It actually reminds me of a Doom version of Renaissance. Which I realize is a silly thing to write: until you hear it.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,165 of 2,630
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,166 of 2,630
This might be the most in synch I've been with my cronies in doom ever! I voted for many on this list, including the E Wiz, Motherslug, Hela, Purple Hill Witch, Causa Sui, Ufomammut, With The Dead, HÄLLAS, Spectral Haze and Zong!

https://doomcharts.com/2017/12/03/doom-charts-for-november-2017/

thanks for the list...I see my favs Ruby the Hatchet refuse to go away.
Do you guys ever give Comacozer any love? I never see anybody talk about them(maybe im looking in the wrong places)and I really like their style.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,167 of 2,630
It's still a mystery to me how some things catch on and others don't. It's truly vast how much stoner/psych/space rock there is these days. This one is solid, and could very well have been just outside the top 25 in August.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,168 of 2,630
It's truly vast how much stoner/psych/space rock there is these days. This one is solid, and could very well have been just outside the top 25 in August.

I don't understand where they call came from or what caused the explosion. 10 years ago when we first got started there was very little going in the genre.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,169 of 2,630
I don't understand where they call came from or what caused the explosion. 10 years ago when we first got started there was very little going in the genre.

I think 10 years ago was a slight lull in activity, especially compared to the explosion in the late 90's. However, since the song Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath is arguably the first true, clear DOOM song ever recorded, the genre has been going through highs and lows since 1970: 47 years. Which is a long time for a genre to exist.

We now have 3 distinct generations of people listening to, playing, writing, recording, and in general going nuts over this stuff. I think the 'explosion' is volcanic in nature. Very low, underground, undetectable pressure on tectonic plates builds up and then: BOOM

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,170 of 2,630
Popularity can be cyclical, but it seems to have been more or less an upward trend. We had the first bands identifying as doom in 1978-80s - The Obsessed, Saint Vitus, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Witchfinder General, Trouble, Candlemass. They weren't remotely popular in the beginning. More bands gradually started picking up the doom baton in the 90s (see my timeline), and 1988-91 you had the beginnings of stoner rock with Sleep, Kyuss and Monster Magnet. There was perhaps a dip in stoner/doom in the early 00s, but it was going pretty strong in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back