The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Dec 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,186 of 2,625
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,187 of 2,625
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,188 of 2,625

The Dirty Earth
Australia

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,189 of 2,625
http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-17/#breakdown

When I published my summary on Friday, I was fried, and not had a chance to finish genre blurbs. The rock/metal ones are done now. Here is one of the entries that I may not have shared before:

https://ironflame-music.bandcamp.com/releases
a2558416283_10.jpg

Heavy Metal

Earlier last summer, Slough Feg announced they were recording an album, which already had the title, The New Organon. I thought for sure it was coming out before the end of the year, but alas. My disappointment has been eased by a great new release from Argus, who started a bit doomier in 2009, but has integrated other influences like prog (via Iron Maiden) to the point where they are just quintessential heavy metal. Also from Pennsylvania, Lör play a really inspiring blend of prog, folk and power metal. Sweden’s Night Viper, lead by Sofie Lee, has elements of thrash, and it’s refreshing, as some of the technical thrash I’ve listened to lately can be fatiguing. Just over a year ago, I remember chatting with Andrew d’Cagna at the Doomed & Stoned fest where his last band, Brimstone Coven played. At the time, it sounded like his one-man side project was just a fun little lark for him. Heck no, Ironflame’s Lightning Strikes The Crown is a full-blown great album full of well written songs and riffs, just as good as anything that the busy metal genius Chris Black has done lately. Extremely recommended. Not making the list but worth checking out were Devil, Greenbeard, Manilla Road, Night Demon, Night and many more.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,190 of 2,625

When I published my summary on Friday, I was fried, and not had a chance to finish genre blurbs. The rock/metal ones are done now. Here is one of the entries that I may not have shared before:

a2558416283_10.jpg

Heavy Metal

Earlier last summer, Slough Feg announced they were recording an album, which already had the title, The New Organon. I thought for sure it was coming out before the end of the year, but alas. My disappointment has been eased by a great new release from Argus, who started a bit doomier in 2009, but has integrated other influences like prog (via Iron Maiden) to the point where they are just quintessential heavy metal. Also from Pennsylvania, Lör play a really inspiring blend of prog, folk and power metal. Sweden’s Night Viper, lead by Sofie Lee, has elements of thrash, and it’s refreshing, as some of the technical thrash I’ve listened to lately can be fatiguing. Just over a year ago, I remember chatting with Andrew d’Cagna at the Doomed & Stoned fest where his last band, Brimstone Coven played. At the time, it sounded like his one-man side project was just a fun little lark for him. Heck no, Ironflame’s Lightning Strikes The Crown is a full-blown great album full of well written songs and riffs, just as good as anything that the busy metal genius Chris Black has done lately. Extremely recommended. Not making the list but worth checking out were Devil, Greenbeard, Manilla Road, Night Demon, Night and many more.

TRUCKFIGHTERS!!!

( I always say this loudly, with my fist in the air) Awesome that you got to see them...

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,191 of 2,625

a2558416283_10.jpg

Heavy Metal

One of the albums on your metal list was by a band whose name I forgot,but they sounded like they went to Cronos,Mantas and Abbadon school of how to make an album without actually knowing how to play an instrument....Anyways the album as such was only two songs available currently on Bandcamp and the rest of the album being released at a later date.

Was their inclusion on your list due to you having early access to the entirety of the album,or did you put it on there based upon previous works that you liked?

EDIT:found it...This band

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,192 of 2,625
One of the albums on your metal list was by a band whose name I forgot,but they sounded like they went to Cronos,Mantas and Abbadon school of how to make an album without actually knowing how to play an instrument....Anyways the album as such was only two songs available currently on Bandcamp and the rest of the album being released at a later date.

Was their inclusion on your list due to you having early access to the entirety of the album,or did you put it on there based upon previous works that you liked?

EDIT:found it...This band

Dude: without knowing how to play an instrument? This is pretty darn good, IMO.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,193 of 2,625
Dude: without knowing how to play an instrument? This is pretty darn good, IMO.

That comment was in jest,more of my dislike of Venom in general,and well...this band reminds me of Venom

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,194 of 2,625
Your jests are just so...dead-pan.

I'm not a huge Venom fan, but I get your point. Very raw, very basic, very heavy. I think they have more of a "groove' than Venom...

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,195 of 2,625
Your jests are just so...dead-pan.

Lol...yeah my 'sense of humor' can be a bit acidic...

I'm not a huge Venom fan, but I get your point. Very raw, very basic, very heavy. I think they have more of a "groove' than Venom...

Yes,i agree...my post above wasnt so much of a bash on this particular band per se,as it was a question about how they ended up on the Best Of list without it actually being fully released yet to the GP.When i posted it I couldnt remember the name of the band,but recalled the similarity (to my ears) to Venom.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,196 of 2,625
Not metal at all, but Pan DiNizio from Smithereens just died. I loved his songwriting and melancholic delivery of tasty hooks in his pop/rock. I just really liked that band.

Okay, back to the metal....

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,197 of 2,625
Not metal at all, but Pan DiNizio from Smithereens just died. I loved his songwriting and melancholic delivery of tasty hooks in his pop/rock. I just really liked that band.

Okay, back to the metal....

im guilty of only knowing their radio stuff,but I can honestly say that Behind the Wall of Sleep is one of my favorite non metal songs from that era.RIP

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,198 of 2,625
im guilty of only knowing their radio stuff,but I can honestly say that Behind the Wall of Sleep is one of my favorite non metal songs from that era.RIP
That and "Blood and Roses." Simply well-crafted rock. One can hear their influence to this day, especially with Foo Fighters. Glad to see someone else respect them.

Oh yeah, love your Youtube videos...

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,199 of 2,625
Thank you.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,200 of 2,625

Users who are viewing this thread

Back