The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Monsterzero, Jan 8, 2017.
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
Page 79 of 115
80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last
  1. bassboysam

the thing is a lot of those bands were not nearly as popular as they are now. No one knew who Sleep were in 1999, now every band that plays mildly slower metal pretend they are Sleep. :)

2. swspiers
    No kidding! Not even remotely popular is an understatement. Love the comment about Sleep, BTW. When I went to King Buffalo a month ago, there was this 20-something kid with a Dopesmoker t-shirt on. And it was well worn!

3. Monsterzero
    Am I the only one here who sees a similarity between the plethora of stoner bands currently and the explosion of hair metal bands in the late 80s?

As Sam mentioned above one cannot throw a stick these days without hitting a stoner metal band member.

GreenNeedle and swspiers like this.
  4. swspiers
    When I hear Jess and the Ancient Ones, Ufomammut, and Elder on heavy rotation on every FM station, endless airings of their music videos AND a VH-1 'Behind the Scenes' expose, then I'll agree.... :)

5. Monsterzero
    Clearly it hasnt reached critical mass yet,and hopefully never will.. late 80s/til recently was a rough time to be a metalhead.

IDK perhaps my ear isnt as sophisticated as others when it comes to this genre,but i listen to dozens of new stoner releases each week and 99% leaves me thinking"Ahh,this tired **** again".

bassboysam likes this.
  6. swspiers
    LOL, I feel you on the tired ******. That's why I was so thrilled with Rituals of the Oak. Amazingly diverse album, and not all of it is DOOM. But the DOOM that is there is exciting, at least for me.

Then there's the epic "Doomed and Stoned in Ohio" sampler release. Name your own price, they also have collections for Texas and Chicago. But Ohio is "OMG" awesome:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Monsterzero likes this.
  7. swspiers
    One other thought as I take a break from watching Big Big Train on Youtube. I think there's been an equally puzzling, but equally incredible, explosion of Prog over the past few years as well. It seems the younger generations aren't happy that two of the greatest forms of rock fizzled out in the 80's. It gives me great hope for the future.

Okay, back to live footage of BBT. Definitely NOT doom, lol

8. bassboysam

1000% agree. 99% of albums i hear are almost an instant pass. too many copy cats.

GreenNeedle likes this.
  9. swspiers
    I always considered these guys more Traditional than "Doom". Either way, what a fun album!!!

10. Monsterzero
    Just because it kicks ass

swspiers likes this.
  11. swspiers
    Why, I don't think I've heard that since...1984! :)

Monsterzero likes this.
  12. swspiers

Wow, I can’t believe this, but as far as I know it’s true: I have never listened to this album with headphones before. Which does not seem possible. Anyway, I just queued this up with my Hifiman HE-400i’s, and I am completely blown away by how flipping good this album is. When this was released in 1988, I was going through an extremely dark time. I’m talking suicidal, methamphetamine, alcohol-binge insanity. This album was like the only ray of light in my life at the time.

This is a criminally underrated band; progressive metal before there was such a thing as progressive metal. The musicianship is incredible, as much for what they don’t play is what they do play. Doug Pinnick is an absolute beast on his eight-string bass, and his vocals are some of the best ever recorded. Ty Tabor is a wickedly intelligent guitarist, who knows exactly when to back off as much as when to bring it. But what really impresses me tonight is the drumming by Jerry Gaskill, who plays deceptively simply. The space he gives the other two members of the band comes across as really smart tonight.

Anyway, if you’ve never listened to the King’s X debut “Out of the Silent Plant” before, put some headphones on, turn down the lights, and just let this album take you where it wants to take you. If you are familiar with this album, say hello to an old friend. Like me, I’ll bet it’s been a while…

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. These headphones are pretty fantastic as well!

j4100 likes this.
  13. Fastnbulbous
    bassboysam, Monsterzero and swspiers like this.
  14. swspiers
    Fastnbulbous likes this.
  15. Monsterzero
    Fastnbulbous likes this.
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
Page 79 of 115
80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last