The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,068 of 2,630
My unpopular thoughts on Monolord. I find it boring and not all that heavy. take the distortion and fuzz out and those are pretty lame riffs, if you can even call them riffs. A song should sound just as heavy with an acoustic guitar as it does with a full blown stack of amps and fuzz. I just find that they aren't really trying, here are 4 chords, add fuzz, add more fuzz, bury the vocals and add reverb...rinse and repeat. And I'm not picking on them, this stuff sells like crazy and they certainly aren't the only ones doing it, Windhand, I'm looking at you, and even Electric Wizard just don't seem to care anymore with the last release. the songwriting is just predictable, repetitive and simply not heavy. Faux Heavy.

end rant. :D \m/

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,069 of 2,630
My unpopular thoughts on Monolord. I find it boring and not all that heavy. take the distortion and fuzz out and those are pretty lame riffs, if you can even call them riffs. A song should sound just as heavy with an acoustic guitar as it does with a full blown stack of amps and fuzz. I just find that they aren't really trying, here are 4 chords, add fuzz, add more fuzz, bury the vocals and add reverb...rinse and repeat. And I'm not picking on them, this stuff sells like crazy and they certainly aren't the only ones doing it, Windhand, I'm looking at you, and even Electric Wizard just don't seem to care anymore with the last release. the songwriting is just predictable, repetitive and simply not heavy. Faux Heavy.

end rant. :D \m/

I think you go a bit too far with "faux heavy." That's mostly ego on my part, as in I know real heavy from the fake stuff. I reserve "fake" for Ted Nugent, Motley Crue and Metallica (and you thought YOU were extreme, ha ha!)

Seriously, Monolord riffs are heavenly to me. It's the Matt Pike philosophy of "why can't the riff last forever?" It's what makes it so alluring to me, as the slow plodding repetition makes me focus on the tone, the weight, the pace of it. As I'm just learning, there is an almost meditative quality to it. But it is extreme, and for some people extremely dull and boring. But that doesn't make it fake...

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,071 of 2,630
fake as in if you take away the volume/fuzz, it would not sound heavy. A lot of Sleep songs would still convey the same mood distorted or not. Monolord sounds like they just take anything and "force" it to "sound heavy".. It may plod along and be very trance-like, but there is just no substance. I don't feel any emotion from them nor myself when I listen to them. They sound like a bunch of teenagers that just discovered Sleep and Electric Wizard. I'm probably not articulating my thoughts well. and of course it is just my opinion. I am by no means an expert critic.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,072 of 2,630
fake as in if you take away the volume/fuzz, it would not sound heavy. A lot of Sleep songs would still convey the same mood distorted or not. Monolord sounds like they just take anything and "force" it to "sound heavy".. I'm probably not articulating my thoughts well. and of course it is just my opinion. I am by no means an expert critic.
I dunno man, I think it's a pretty valid point of view. I think we all have a different perspective of "heavy", and my love of Wetton- Era King Crimson as the ultimate 'heavy' is not universally shared. That's why I LOVE this thread more than others, in that we seriously bring different opinions without devolving into arguments and thread-hijacking. It's as close to the old TB Stoner/Doom thread as I've found on Head-fi

Okay, so, back to Weedeater....

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,073 of 2,630
not headphone related but these tannoys are the best gear purchase i have ever made. even monolord sound good :wink:

IMG_20170920_202332_338.jpg

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #1,074 of 2,630
not headphone related but these tannoys are the best gear purchase i have ever made. even monolord sound good :wink:

Any chance of a pic of the drivers? Tannoy is the ultimate point-source IMHO, and one of the few speakers I would choose over my Ohm Walsh omni's

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #1,077 of 2,630
here you go.

Dude, what model are those?

Anyway, the Tannoy experience is like nothing else IME. Before I went with Ohm I auditioned Tannoy's and Magnepan's pretty extensively, around 2009. In the end, the endless sweet-spot of the Ohm's won, and by a big margin. I have headphones if I want a vise-like lock.

BTW, Tannoys, with their design, to me sound more like headphones than other speakers, mostly because of the concentric driver approach and the lack of phase distortion. It's what make my HD800S's so badass!

Okay, back to the METAL

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,078 of 2,630
Dude, what model are those?

Anyway, the Tannoy experience is like nothing else IME. Before I went with Ohm I auditioned Tannoy's and Magnepan's pretty extensively, around 2009. In the end, the endless sweet-spot of the Ohm's won, and by a big margin. I have headphones if I want a vise-like lock.

BTW, Tannoys, with their design, to me sound more like headphones than other speakers, mostly because of the concentric driver approach and the lack of phase distortion. It's what make my HD800S's so badass!

Okay, back to the METAL

Ardens MKI using the HPD385A drivers.

love them. too big for the space i have but they still sound awesome

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,079 of 2,630
Album cover of the year? Italian goodness.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,080 of 2,630

Users who are viewing this thread

Back