The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #1,756 of 2,630
Ha ha, I was thinking it was gonna be Clutch, but StonerHive folks had something else in mind:

We move twenty-five points up from Bronze Medal album Hear The Rivers by Greenleaf on Number 3 to reach the album you voters voted for to reach the runner-up position on Number 2. Another band that has been making the final list for multiple years. And even reaching Number 2 before. Number 8 back in 2011 and the Silver Medal for their 2014 album. This time around they were bested by almost forty points by the album that ended up on Number One. But lets focus on the raw album that lays before us. A record that translates into sound all that angst, fear and worry the writer felt when going through an awful period. It will be choking you with emotion and harrowing visions. It will be pummeling you raw with pounding riffs and grate your soul with a bone chilling voice. And that is how the record grabs you and sits you down, it will speak to you and philosophize about it all. And all of that resounds in the music. Oppressive and suffocating on one hand and expansive and progressive on the other end. There is light at the end of the tunnel…

The Silver Medal goes to…

2. Yob - Our Raw Heart

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,757 of 2,630
We jump almost forty points to reach the Gold Medalist of the Stoner HiVe Top 20 Countdown of 2018 according to the 79 of you lovely freaks that sent in their lists of favorite albums this year. We thank all of those voters once again, without you this would not be possible and it would not be this much fun to do. We also thank all those bands that made the Top 20 with all of those amazing albums! But we also thank the bands that did not make it; cause there is beauty on all of them! And like every year, we will list the 21 to 100 in the next few days somewhere. So, at least a few of those albums will get a little more attention; even though they probably deserve even more. But even though it was obvious from the picture above, we still need to say a few words about the Number 1 album of 2018. Cause it came with a bang! Like a gunshot on an empty street! Like a hammer strike against the Gods… We are referring to the album released by a legendary trio. A gang of three who had not produced a full album for twenty years. The doom is vibrant, alive and more ingenious than ever. This is not doom that will drag you towards the abyss, but one that takes you up high and on an adventure. We’re going on a journey packed with riff-axes and bass-machetes. Raw, slow, delaying and discoloring sludge-riffs, carrying monotonous vocals that waft you to sleep. Thick, dirty, bass-tones deliver the perfect heartbeat for your slumber and dreams of the ideal marriage between stoner metal and doom… The Gold Medal goes to…

1. Sleep - The Sciences

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #1,758 of 2,630
New Blade Killer. Think faster,Paul Dianno era Maiden.

Blade Killer
USA
NWOTHM

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,759 of 2,630
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,760 of 2,630
Aussie psych/stoner/blues/prog

Numidia
Australia

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #1,762 of 2,630
Not my typical post,nor type of band....BUT...
This is HEAVY!!! Oppressively so. This band puts the "D" into DOOM. That cover art. That title,The Forestroamer,creeps me the hell out! And the songs range from heavy blackened funeral doom,to ethereal melodic prog. The vocals are,well,ya either love em or hate em. Reminds me a bit of Ahab.

Woebegone Obscured
Denmark
Blackened Funeral Doom
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Woebegone_Obscured/116819

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,765 of 2,630
Anybody have suggestions of good iems for a black/death/doom listener?

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,766 of 2,630
Anybody have suggestions of good iems for a black/death/doom listener?

There's 2 threads specifically for Metal Headphones / Iems recommendations in the Equipment forums somewhere.

EDIT. Found them. I'm not sure how much help the 2nd one will be though :-

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...timate-solution.715478/page-610#post-14738289

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem-for-metal-music-and-hard-rock-ultimate-solution.885104/

Double EDIT. I see you've already posted there :thinking: Persistence in those threads may be the key or you could try the Introductions / Help / Recommendations forum.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,767 of 2,630
If Maiden and Priest had a love child. The first song is a literal clone of Painkiller.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,768 of 2,630
Question:

Which HiRez streaming service are you guys using?
Im thinking of trying one out,but dont know where to begin.
Looking for HiRez option,huge library,not just for metal,but for rock,blues,chill,psybient,deep trance,folk,etc...Also the ability to easily discover new music would be helpful.
To be used on Windows home device only.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,769 of 2,630
Question:

Which HiRez streaming service are you guys using?
Im thinking of trying one out,but dont know where to begin.
Looking for HiRez option,huge library,not just for metal,but for rock,blues,chill,psybient,deep trance,folk,etc...Also the ability to easily discover new music would be helpful.
To be used on Windows home device only.
I use Tidal. I'm pretty happy with it. But lately I get almost everything from Bandcamp

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,770 of 2,630
I use Tidal. I'm pretty happy with it. But lately I get almost everything from Bandcamp

How is Tidal for finding obscure/new bands,like stuff one would find on Bandcamp?
Anything you dont like about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back