The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,726 of 2,628
You all are posting quality stuff -- Ripple also released another Arcadian Child album earlier this year! Impressive. The Alunah is an improvement from their previous album to my ears.

I'd been looking forward to this one. Pale Divine are doom lifers from Pennsylvania, and this is their fifth album, first in 6 years. A top tier release for me along with Khemmis, Witch Mountain, Castle, Wytch Hazel and High Reeper.

Dec 2, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,728 of 2,628
Vanishing Kids new Album. I haven't given it a full play yet but will later tonight. Liking what I've heard so far. BTW their 3 previous Albums are NYP :) :-

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,730 of 2,628
Speaking of "...that voice!!!!"

This hits every single damn button I have. Good Gawd, this rips!

I didn't think I would hear anything to unseat Messa's Feast for Water as my favorite album of the year, but on one listen this just blows my mind!!!!

Holy Grove II

I had the promo of the Holy Grove for a bit and after buying the lossless download I just re-listened at heavy volume (speakers). It's good, but something isn't quite clicking yet, but it's growing. You aren't alone in being blown away as it topped November's doom charts - https://doomcharts.com/2018/12/04/doom-chart-november-2018/

Agreed that Messa shouldn't be forgotten. I'm also reconsidering Sleep in that while it sat imperiously atop my listening pile all year, I'm starting to question it. It now seems more like a Sleep tribute with not quite smooth transitions to Om tunes. I certainly wouldn't go as far as someone on another board who said "Sleep is a merch-sales operation at this point," but Pike did perhaps save some of his better riffs for the High On Fire album, which I still don't rate as high as Sleep, but Sleep could have been stronger.

I also had fun with #3 doom charts entry:

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,731 of 2,628
Vanishing Kids new Album. I haven't given it a full play yet but will later tonight. Liking what I've heard so far. BTW their 3 previous Albums are NYP :) :-

I had this on my Spotify new releases playlist but was on a volunteer vacation at an animal sanctuary and had limited time to absorb. I thought it was supposed to be doom metal but I heard more psych prog, kosmische and shoegaze. Really excellent. I gotta see when these folks are going to play Chicago!

Also a Fester's Lucky 13 contender, Mansion. I last wrote about them in my 2016 Psych Noir piece, when the Finnish Kartanoist cult band had a stunning progression of four EPs. They shared The Devil’s Blood's seriousness in their spiritual interests (though in this case not Satanic), and psych prog sonics with Jess and the Ancient Ones. Their long-awaited full length album feels like the culmination not only of an artistic arc, but a dramatic end world scenario. Someday aliens will find this album amidst the rubble and wonder what the hell those humans did to themselves.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #1,732 of 2,628
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,733 of 2,628
http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2018/12/05/mansion-first-death-of-the-lutheran-sdq-stream/

Check out JJ's interview with the band.

"The whole album seems to lead to “First Death.” Did you know in writing that song that it would be the finale? What is happening there to summarize the album?

As soon as the song was starting to find its form we knew that it would be the finale. In ”First Death” we simply state that there is a difference between us and you. We will be saved and you will burn in the everlasting fires of hell while we bathe in glory in the Kingdom of Heaven by His side. Pretty much what we want to say with the whole album...

...We have live sermons and festivals booked for 2019. Book us. Today!

Merry Christmas!"

lol

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,734 of 2,628
This one man show has some Maiden mixed in with some Lizzy-like guitars. Not crazy about the vocals,but good otherwise.

Storrson
UK
Traditional metal

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,736 of 2,628
Just discovered these guys. Borrowing more than a page from Motorhead,this rocks!

Asomvel
UK

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,737 of 2,628
Fester's Lucky 13: 2018 Year-End Summary
http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-18/

2018-lucky-13.jpg

Spotify Mix | 2018 Breakdown: Genre Lists | Shows, Videos | Movies, Television & Books

Another Krampusnacht has come and gone, and our demonic helper of Santa has had his claws full. For the most part, villains have been left unprosecuted as laws protecting our land, wildlife and rights are being systematically dismantled before our glazed eyes. Music certainly isn’t going to save us, but it’s still a hugely important part of life. At it’s best, it can be rejuvenating and inspiring, and at the least, help us make it to the next day. So let us dig into Dr. Fester’s sack and see what kind of nasties await us.

http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-18/#heavy-metal

Last year I mentioned being disappointed that Slough Feg‘s The New Organonhadn’t come out since it was announced that summer, and year later, still nothing. Nevertheless, metal marches on, and Wytch Hazel had a great second album full of engaging ren faire twin guitars. Husband-wife road warriors Castleremains consistently great, while Rough Spells put out the most immediately captivating, raw, energetic metal EP I’ve heard since Christian Mistress debuted in 2009. And look at the geezers in Judas Priest, winning hearts and minds across genres and generations! It doesn’t hurt that there’s a rash of charming reaction videos to “Painkiller” and “Victim Of Changes.”
  1. Wytch Hazel – II: Sojourn (Bad Omen) | Bandcamp
  2. Castle – Deal Thy Fate (Ripple) | Bandcamp
  3. Rough Spells – Modern Kicks For The Solitary Witch EP (Rough Spells) | Bandcamp
  4. Judas Priest – Firepower (Columbia) | Buy
  5. Satan – Cruel Magic (Metal Blade) | Bandcamp
  6. Haunt – Burst Into Flame (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  7. Gatekeeper – East Of Sun (Cruz Del Sur) | Bandcamp
  8. Tempelheks – Midnight Mirror (Cursed Tongue) | Bandcamp
  9. Cauldron – New Gods (The End) | Buy
  10. Professor Black – Sunrise (High Roller) | Bandcamp
  11. Hammer King – Poseidon Will Carry Us Home (Cruz Del Sur) | Bandcamp
  12. High Priestess – High Priestess (Ripple) | Bandcamp
  13. Lizzies – On Thin Ice (The Sign) | Bandcamp
http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-18/#doom

The doom is strong this year, hence the extended list. Messa was featured in the Lucky 13 above, and Ancestors make a triumphant return six years after their last album. The band’s sound has evolved on every album, and the new one more emotional and dramatic than they’ve ever been, along the lines of 40 Watt Sunand Pallbearer. Khemmis remain consistently strong on their third album, while Windhand has incorporated some grunge hooks that reminds me of Snail. Approved! Pale Divine also return from a six year absence with their best album. Witch Mountain’s self titled is their first with new singer Kayla Dixon, though she’s been with the band since 2015. The result are heavily road tested songs that show how much better suited for the band she is than previous singer Uta was (don’t get me wrong, Uta is an amazing singer and I’d love to see her do a solo album). Special props goes to Beastmaker, who put out ten (10) EPs (the first 8 available for just $8!) to clear the cobwebs for yet new material for their next official album with a new label. That’s some prolific songwriting, and shockingly consistently good material.

1. Messa – Feast For Water (Aural) | Bandcamp
  2. Ancestors – Suspended In Reflections (Pelagic) | Bandcamp
  3. Khemmis – Desolation (20 Buck Spin) | Bandcamp
  4. Windhand – Eternal Return (Relapse) | Bandccamp
  5. Pale Divine – Pale Divine (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  6. Witch Mountain – Witch Mountain (Svart) | Bandcamp
  7. Moab – Trough (Falling Dome) | Bandcamp
  8. Alastor – Slave To The Grave (RidingEasy) | Bandcamp
  9. High Reeper – High Reeper (Heavy Psych) | Bandcamp
  10. The Wizards – Rise Of The Serpent (High Roller) | Bandcamp
  11. Dunbarrow – Dunbarrow II (RidingEasy) | Bandcamp
  12. Black Moth – Anatomical Venus (Candlelight/Spinefarm) | Buy
  13. DMBQ – Keeenly (Drag City) | Bandcamp
  14. Holy Grove – Holy Grove II (Ripple) | Bandcamp
  15. Alms – Act One (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  16. The Skull – The Endless Road Turns Dark (Tee Pee) | Buy
  17. Iron Void – Excalibur (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  18. Hua†a – Lux initiatrix terrae (Music Fear Satan) | Bandcamp
  19. Age Of Taurus – The Colony Slain (Rise Above) | Buy
  20. Beastmaker – EPs (Church Records) | Bandcamp
  21. Solstice – White Horse Hill (White Horse) | Bandcamp
  22. Domkraft – Flood (Blues Funeral) | Bandcamp
  23. Alunah – Amber & Gold EP (Svart) | Bandcamp
  24. Brimstone Coven – What Was And What Shall Be (Brimstone Coven) | Bandcamp
  25. Conan – Existential Void Guardian (Napalm) | Bandcamp

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,738 of 2,628
Fester's Lucky 13: 2018 Year-End Summary
http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-18/

2018-lucky-13.jpg

Spotify Mix | 2018 Breakdown: Genre Lists | Shows, Videos | Movies, Television & Books

Another Krampusnacht has come and gone, and our demonic helper of Santa has had his claws full. For the most part, villains have been left unprosecuted as laws protecting our land, wildlife and rights are being systematically dismantled before our glazed eyes. Music certainly isn’t going to save us, but it’s still a hugely important part of life. At it’s best, it can be rejuvenating and inspiring, and at the least, help us make it to the next day. So let us dig into Dr. Fester’s sack and see what kind of nasties await us.

http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-18/#heavy-metal

Last year I mentioned being disappointed that Slough Feg‘s The New Organonhadn’t come out since it was announced that summer, and year later, still nothing. Nevertheless, metal marches on, and Wytch Hazel had a great second album full of engaging ren faire twin guitars. Husband-wife road warriors Castleremains consistently great, while Rough Spells put out the most immediately captivating, raw, energetic metal EP I’ve heard since Christian Mistress debuted in 2009. And look at the geezers in Judas Priest, winning hearts and minds across genres and generations! It doesn’t hurt that there’s a rash of charming reaction videos to “Painkiller” and “Victim Of Changes.”
  1. Wytch Hazel – II: Sojourn (Bad Omen) | Bandcamp
  2. Castle – Deal Thy Fate (Ripple) | Bandcamp
  3. Rough Spells – Modern Kicks For The Solitary Witch EP (Rough Spells) | Bandcamp
  4. Judas Priest – Firepower (Columbia) | Buy
  5. Satan – Cruel Magic (Metal Blade) | Bandcamp
  6. Haunt – Burst Into Flame (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  7. Gatekeeper – East Of Sun (Cruz Del Sur) | Bandcamp
  8. Tempelheks – Midnight Mirror (Cursed Tongue) | Bandcamp
  9. Cauldron – New Gods (The End) | Buy
  10. Professor Black – Sunrise (High Roller) | Bandcamp
  11. Hammer King – Poseidon Will Carry Us Home (Cruz Del Sur) | Bandcamp
  12. High Priestess – High Priestess (Ripple) | Bandcamp
  13. Lizzies – On Thin Ice (The Sign) | Bandcamp
http://fastnbulbous.com/lucky-18/#doom

The doom is strong this year, hence the extended list. Messa was featured in the Lucky 13 above, and Ancestors make a triumphant return six years after their last album. The band’s sound has evolved on every album, and the new one more emotional and dramatic than they’ve ever been, along the lines of 40 Watt Sunand Pallbearer. Khemmis remain consistently strong on their third album, while Windhand has incorporated some grunge hooks that reminds me of Snail. Approved! Pale Divine also return from a six year absence with their best album. Witch Mountain’s self titled is their first with new singer Kayla Dixon, though she’s been with the band since 2015. The result are heavily road tested songs that show how much better suited for the band she is than previous singer Uta was (don’t get me wrong, Uta is an amazing singer and I’d love to see her do a solo album). Special props goes to Beastmaker, who put out ten (10) EPs (the first 8 available for just $8!) to clear the cobwebs for yet new material for their next official album with a new label. That’s some prolific songwriting, and shockingly consistently good material.

1. Messa – Feast For Water (Aural) | Bandcamp
  2. Ancestors – Suspended In Reflections (Pelagic) | Bandcamp
  3. Khemmis – Desolation (20 Buck Spin) | Bandcamp
  4. Windhand – Eternal Return (Relapse) | Bandccamp
  5. Pale Divine – Pale Divine (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  6. Witch Mountain – Witch Mountain (Svart) | Bandcamp
  7. Moab – Trough (Falling Dome) | Bandcamp
  8. Alastor – Slave To The Grave (RidingEasy) | Bandcamp
  9. High Reeper – High Reeper (Heavy Psych) | Bandcamp
  10. The Wizards – Rise Of The Serpent (High Roller) | Bandcamp
  11. Dunbarrow – Dunbarrow II (RidingEasy) | Bandcamp
  12. Black Moth – Anatomical Venus (Candlelight/Spinefarm) | Buy
  13. DMBQ – Keeenly (Drag City) | Bandcamp
  14. Holy Grove – Holy Grove II (Ripple) | Bandcamp
  15. Alms – Act One (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  16. The Skull – The Endless Road Turns Dark (Tee Pee) | Buy
  17. Iron Void – Excalibur (Shadow Kingdom) | Bandcamp
  18. Hua†a – Lux initiatrix terrae (Music Fear Satan) | Bandcamp
  19. Age Of Taurus – The Colony Slain (Rise Above) | Buy
  20. Beastmaker – EPs (Church Records) | Bandcamp
  21. Solstice – White Horse Hill (White Horse) | Bandcamp
  22. Domkraft – Flood (Blues Funeral) | Bandcamp
  23. Alunah – Amber & Gold EP (Svart) | Bandcamp
  24. Brimstone Coven – What Was And What Shall Be (Brimstone Coven) | Bandcamp
  25. Conan – Existential Void Guardian (Napalm) | Bandcamp

Thanks for this list. Theres a lot of unfamilar bands here that will keep me busy.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,740 of 2,628
Non-Metal For Metalheads

By popular request, here is an expansion on what I did in 2016. At first I figured my Avant list pretty much covered it, but then I got more into the idea and pulled in albums from a variety of genres, like Emma Ruth Rundle from the dream pop list. Metalheads seem to appreciate her for her Americana noir for it’s intensity, much like Wovenhand has been a favorite in past years. Rundle, Daughters, Anna von Hausswolff and others have shown up on a few year-end lists from metal publications. Hopefully mine has a few unique offerings. I excluded most obvious stuff like heavy psych/stoner, prog, hardcore punk, post-hardcore, industrial, noise, etc. A few things might have those elements, but rules are fuzzy for a hybrid list like this. Senyawa’s Indonesian experimental psychedelic drone folk is intense, with Rully Shabara’s gutteral vocals bringing to mind Tuvan throat singing. This is their fifth album. Check out this performance below. Speaking of Tuvan throat singing, it seems to have fallen out of fashion since the 90s when Huun-Huur-Tu and Yat-Kha toured the world, but Hartyga from Tyva Republic, Russia are doing great stuff, mixing in jazz fusion and prog on their third album. | Spotify

1. Senyawa – Sujud (Sublime Frequencies) | Indonesia | Bandcamp
  2. Emma Ruth Rundle – On Dark Horses (Sargent House) | Bandcamp
  3. Hartyga – Amyrsanaa (Hevhetia) | Buy
  4. Jaye Jayle – No Trail And Other Unholy Paths (Sargent House) | Bandcamp
  5. The Messthetics – The Messthetics (Dischord) | Bandcamp
  6. Secret Chiefs 3 – Malkhut (Tzadik) | Bandcamp
  7. Pharaoh Overlord – Zero (Ektro/Hydra Head) | Bandcamp
  8. The Mon – Doppeleben (Supernatural Cat) | Bandcamp
  9. Elkhorn – Lionfish (Eiderdown) | Bandcamp
  10. Beak> – >>> (Invada/Temporary Residence) | Bandcamp
  11. Julia Holter – Aviary (Domino) | Bandcamp
  12. Here Lies Man – You Will Know Nothing (RidingEasy) | Bandcamp