The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jul 28, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,622 of 2,628
Banger TV is back with original material. This is one of the best shows I've seen: fun, interesting, original and ...fun! Did I mention fun! I find myself waiting for the next episode, almost wishing they did a Netflix-style dump so I can binge. The only problem is- the episodes are too short (but I guess that's what makes this work).

Awesome that they have Alex Skolnick from Testament as a judge. I always thought they should be in the 'Big Four' instead of Anthrax. Testament was the only thrash band I gave a crap about.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,624 of 2,628
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,625 of 2,628
Someone finally uploaded the whole album. One of my favorite metal albums ever.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,627 of 2,628
Doom Charts came out earlier this week: https://doomcharts.com/2018/07/31/doom-charts-july-2018/

While the second Lucifer album got some love, Maggot Heart didn't which is unfortunate, as it's nearly as great. Perhaps because it's not really doom. My review:

http://fastnbulbous.com/blood-sisters-of-the-oath-lucifer-maggot-heart/

Brimstone Coven topped the list, who I've seen play several times. Secret weapon Andrew D'Cagna (bass/vocals) performed all the parts on his Ironflame project last year, and is contributing more than ever since they lost singer Big John, and they still have harmonies.

Last weekend was Alehorn Of Power X, with Zuul, Owl, Ignitor, Mega Colossus, Bible Of The Devil and High Spirits. I was stoked to see Oakland's Owl, who I first heard in 2012, with the then 15 year-old guitar prodigy Axell Baechle. They were a bit sludgier than they had been in the past, a change from their proto-metal and prog roots. A few people brought Dangerous Toys albums for Ignitor singer Jason McMaster to sign. I'd never really listened to them, will put in my pile. Mega Colossus were fun, straight up trad metal. I was also going back and forth to the smaller room where Deepspacepilots, Pale Divine and Apostles of Solitude were playing. Bible of The Devil broke into Greg Kihn Band's "The Breakup Song" near then end, and High Spirits topped the bill with their best performance I've seen so far. Quite a packed night of space psych, metal, melodic hard rock and doom!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,628 of 2,628
New Windhand!

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,629 of 2,628
Doom Charts came out earlier this week: https://doomcharts.com/2018/07/31/doom-charts-july-2018/

While the second Lucifer album got some love, Maggot Heart didn't which is unfortunate, as it's nearly as great. Perhaps because it's not really doom. My review:

http://fastnbulbous.com/blood-sisters-of-the-oath-lucifer-maggot-heart/

Brimstone Coven topped the list, who I've seen play several times. Secret weapon Andrew D'Cagna (bass/vocals) performed all the parts on his Ironflame project last year, and is contributing more than ever since they lost singer Big John, and they still have harmonies.

Last weekend was Alehorn Of Power X, with Zuul, Owl, Ignitor, Mega Colossus, Bible Of The Devil and High Spirits. I was stoked to see Oakland's Owl, who I first heard in 2012, with the then 15 year-old guitar prodigy Axell Baechle. They were a bit sludgier than they had been in the past, a change from their proto-metal and prog roots. A few people brought Dangerous Toys albums for Ignitor singer Jason McMaster to sign. I'd never really listened to them, will put in my pile. Mega Colossus were fun, straight up trad metal. I was also going back and forth to the smaller room where Deepspacepilots, Pale Divine and Apostles of Solitude were playing. Bible of The Devil broke into Greg Kihn Band's "The Breakup Song" near then end, and High Spirits topped the bill with their best performance I've seen so far. Quite a packed night of space psych, metal, melodic hard rock and doom!

Man, I really tried. But Brimstone Coven is not resonating with me at all. I'm trying to figure out how in the world it made the top of the Doom Charts.

It could have something to do with listening to Saint Karloff just before I put it on for a spin. Those Karloff boys put out an extremely solid album, front to back. Just about anything might sound a little lame after some expert Sabbath worship like that.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,630 of 2,628

Carriage
USA
Traditional Metal

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,632 of 2,628
Parasite Inc...Putting the Melo back in melodeath

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,633 of 2,628
Just posted this in TFFT (NYP Obvs.). Rough Spells. Love this, the sound is fresh but it feels so Old School (in a good way) :-

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,634 of 2,628
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,635 of 2,628

Nice, coincided nicely with the release of Haunt. I need to listen to some more Antioch, Midnight Force and Pounder. My time was consumed the past couple weeks doing this piece, which includes a couple albums that touch on hard rock and a few metal riffs (La Femme and Hitmen especially. The Scientists, The Moodists and The New Christs can get heavy)

http://fastnbulbous.com/between-the-cracks-aussie-garage-punk/

between-the-cracks-aussie.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back