The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jul 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,591 of 2,628
Just started revisiting some of the bands I have seen, mostly during the early 80's. Slayer, Dark Angel, Hirax, Celtic Frost, Death Angel, Exodus, Megadeth, Metalica, Mercyful Fate, Motorhead, Venom.....

Are these bands new to you,or just forgotten how good they were/are?

Dont forget to show the first Angel Witch album some love,its a masterpiece. Also Witchfynde "Cloak and Dagger" and Acid "Maniac", Accept "Im a Rebel" and Destruction "Infernal Overkill" are all classics IMO.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #1,592 of 2,628
Are these bands new to you,or just forgotten how good they were/are?

Dont forget to show the first Angel Witch album some love,its a masterpiece. Also Witchfynde "Cloak and Dagger" and Acid "Maniac", Accept "Im a Rebel" and Destruction "Infernal Overkill" are all classics IMO.

Old.....I saw these bands in the early 1980's in Los Angeles. I got into the hardcore punk scene in 79 and saw these bands at mostly small clubs like The Country Club in Reseda. First time I saw Metalica was at a house party. Saw Megadeth's first show in LA and Dave Mustaine spent the fist 30 minutes bagging on Metalica because they kicked him out.

Always liked them....just started pulling out my old LP's and rips and listening again.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,593 of 2,628
The Country Club!! That place was epic,saw so many great bands there back in the day. Last time I was in SoCal it had become a Latin club,and then a church....bummer.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #1,594 of 2,628
I got into the hardcore punk scene in 79 and saw these bands at mostly small clubs like The Country Club in Reseda.

Ha,I rememebr the time me and my long hair friends went to The Olympic to see GBH...of course we were the only long hairs there and we got cigarette butts flicked at us,and a bunch Schiit talked to us. Eventually we got surrounded by a bunch of punks and I thought we were gonna die( I was 130lbs at the time) when all of a sudden this giant skinhead came out of nowhere and told them to back off and give us respect for showing up. He mustve been well regarded within the punk scene cuz none of them talked back and they let us past.

My buddy met his eventual ex-wife at that show,and I met a girl there who ended up giving me an STD...Good times :)

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,595 of 2,628
The Country Club!! That place was epic,saw so many great bands there back in the day. Last time I was in SoCal it had become a Latin club,and then a church....bummer.
Still is a church. Was a boxing club before that. I drive by it all the time. Saw many many bands there.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,596 of 2,628
Ha,I rememebr the time me and my long hair friends went to The Olympic to see GBH...of course we were the only long hairs there and we got cigarette butts flicked at us,and a bunch Schiit talked to us. Eventually we got surrounded by a bunch of punks and I thought we were gonna die( I was 130lbs at the time) when all of a sudden this giant skinhead came out of nowhere and told them to back off and give us respect for showing up. He mustve been well regarded within the punk scene cuz none of them talked back and they let us past.

My buddy met his eventual ex-wife at that show,and I met a girl there who ended up giving me an STD...Good times :)

I used to help the metal guys all the time when I saw them get into an issue at punk shows. I was in a punk gang called Los Angeles Death Squad....and had some issues at the Olympic....that was a rough venue. Check out this website....I am in a few of the pics. www.lads.org

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,597 of 2,628
Yeah the Olympic is/was a rough place,bad 'hood too. I think I mightve gone to one other show there,but that GBH show made me think twice about attending anymore punk gigs.
Did you know a dude named "Stretch"? His real name was John,but he was like 6'5" and super skinny...He was in a SGV punk gang called DWB.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,598 of 2,628
Yes, I like the Bongripper. Sludge isn't always my thing, but this band is solid.

Lucifer - Lucifer II: I've been anticipating this, great psych noir, fat juicy bass tones. Weakest spot is their cover of the Stones' "Dancing With Mr. D." On a single b-side they covered the Scorpions' "Evening Wind" from 1975. Wish that were included on the album instead.
http://www.centurymedia.store/

Jack Harlon & The Dead Crows - Hymns: From Bendigo, Australia, I've been playing this repeatedly all weekend. It's taking a bit to work out what genre tags to apply, so far I have Blues Rock, Garage Doom and Psych Noir. It seems to tell a sort of psych doom spaghetti Western noir. Yas!

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,600 of 2,628
At the risk of being Capt. Obvious,its great to hear Mikkey Dee doing this again. He is a beast!

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,602 of 2,628
Sorry but...who?

If youre trolling me,well played. If not,Mikkey Dee,former drummer for Motorhead,King Diamond prior to that now with the Scorpions. Best drummer in metal IMHO.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,603 of 2,628
If youre trolling me,well played. If not,Mikkey Dee,former drummer for Motorhead,King Diamond prior to that now with the Scorpions. Best drummer in metal IMHO.

Seriously, no idea who Mikkey Dee is. Motorhead is so far off my radar, I'm lucky I know who Lemmy is. Not trying to be an ass, just not into that branch of hard rock.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,604 of 2,628
Seriously, no idea who Mikkey Dee is. Motorhead is so far off my radar, I'm lucky I know who Lemmy is. Not trying to be an ass, just not into that branch of hard rock.

Mikkey in beast mode,

signed
An unabashed Motorhead Fanboy

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,605 of 2,628

Shadowkiller
USA
power metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back