The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jul 12, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,606 of 2,630
Oh snap. If it wasn't for the incredible "Doomed and Stoned" compilations on Bandcamp, I would have missed this. MOAR female-fronted Doom. This time from a 'supergroup' named Besvarjelsen from Sweden. Extremely tasty and haunting, with NO AUTO-TUNE in the vocals that I can detect. Moody, haunting, and their own spin on things.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,607 of 2,630
Im a sucker for female fronted doom & psych,which is odd cuz im typically not a fan of female fronted traditional metal(except UtA)

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,608 of 2,630
The second album of triumphant ren faire traditional folk metal from Wytch Hazel. I said this about their first album -- The band wear medieval tunics, delve into Christian biblical themes and cite late 70s folk era Jethro Tull as an influence. It’s understandable to assume this Lancaster band is a local group of renaissance fair geeks, and not the blazing new hot shots of British heavy metal. Well, they’re not exactly well known enough to be considered that just yet, but that will hopefully change. While Wytch Hazel work in similar territory as San Francisco’s The Lord Weird Slough Feg did twenty years ago — Celtic folk melodies mixed with Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy inspired dual guitars, Slough Feg featured a more hectic early Iron Maiden/NWOBHM gallop, while Wytch Hazel dig deeper into folk and ancient music and the Aolean and Dorian scales which vocalist/guitarist Colin Hendra studied in school. Add obscure early 80s bands like Dark Star, Ashbury andVirtue into the mix, and the result is an alluringly unusual blend of exciting, triumphant anthems and mesmerizing musicianship.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #1,609 of 2,630
The second album of triumphant ren faire traditional folk metal from Wytch Hazel. I said this about their first album -- The band wear medieval tunics, delve into Christian biblical themes and cite late 70s folk era Jethro Tull as an influence. It’s understandable to assume this Lancaster band is a local group of renaissance fair geeks, and not the blazing new hot shots of British heavy metal. Well, they’re not exactly well known enough to be considered that just yet, but that will hopefully change. While Wytch Hazel work in similar territory as San Francisco’s The Lord Weird Slough Feg did twenty years ago — Celtic folk melodies mixed with Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy inspired dual guitars, Slough Feg featured a more hectic early Iron Maiden/NWOBHM gallop, while Wytch Hazel dig deeper into folk and ancient music and the Aolean and Dorian scales which vocalist/guitarist Colin Hendra studied in school. Add obscure early 80s bands like Dark Star, Ashbury andVirtue into the mix, and the result is an alluringly unusual blend of exciting, triumphant anthems and mesmerizing musicianship.

Good stuff!

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,610 of 2,630

King Crimson
UK
Progressive Heavy Metal

I remember as a fledgling bass player trying like heck to play this song when I was 14 in 1977. Endless hours, all to no avail. I can kinda work my way through it, but there are some licks that John Wetton would rip through for about 5 seconds that remain beyond me. To say this album was ahead of it's time is an extreme understatement. Robert Fripp refers to Fracture as an "unplayable piece" in the booklet for the 2011 re-mix. Anyway, this is one of the best head-phone tunes of all time, IMHO. Enjoy!

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,611 of 2,630
Im not sure theres ever been a new,non-supergroup,band that has created more buzz prior to their first album than GVF. Theyre catching a lot of heat too for their Zep influences,but I love these kids. From the forthcoming debut album.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,612 of 2,630
Im not sure theres ever been a new,non-supergroup,band that has created more buzz prior to their first album than GVF. Theyre catching a lot of heat too for their Zep influences,but I love these kids. From the forthcoming debut album.

These guys are definitely polarizing. I like them a lot, personally.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,613 of 2,630
New Parasite Inc.!
Its about damn time!

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,618 of 2,630
Jul 25, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,620 of 2,630
Hold everything...

At this rate, we're going to have to start pointing out when a band is "male-fronted Doom." I keep thinking the field is starting to get crowded, and then I hear this. Nope, we have room for more. A LOT MOAR!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if the opening minute or two doesn't crush you and blow you away, then I got nothin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back