The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 14, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #286 of 1,101
Oh nooo, I want a dap with warm, thick sound that I can actually afford! I've had enough of cool.
Maybe the Onkyo DP-X1 will do the trick, but dual sabre dac doesn't really sound like it (just starting to read the Onkyo thread).

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #287 of 1,101
Oh nooo, I want a dap with warm, thick sound that I can actually afford! I've had enough of cool.
Maybe the Onkyo DP-X1 will do the trick, but dual sabre dac doesn't really sound like it (just starting to read the Onkyo thread).

I compared Zx2 vs Dp-x1 and I liked the Zx2 better as I also prefer warm and thick sounding

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #290 of 1,101
Yeah, you might be right, I'm quite close to getting that IEM myself; still trying to hear one first, but it should be right up my alley, and that combo might actually work out well for OTG. The Onkyo is even bigger, and I don't like its design, looks clunky.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #291 of 1,101
if 1a benefit from burn in (like zx2) , i will wait until people have bought it and have run 200-300 hours on it

patience pays.

it did so with zx2 and it will do the same with 1a

patience until people buy 1A and not just 'demo' it for 10 minutes
patience  until people who bought it, have burned their 1A for at least 200-300 hours
patience until people who bought it , decide to sell it here at a logical price

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #292 of 1,101
Yeah, you might be right, I'm quite close to getting that IEM myself; still trying to hear one first, but it should be right up my alley, and that combo might actually work out well for OTG. The Onkyo is even bigger, and I don't like its design, looks clunky.

I can tell you i liked it with my ZX100 walkman which was rather analytical (the dap).

Bass- kick hard really really hard goes deeeeeeep but is controlled and texturd, coherent bass, no beats bass here, no loose bass like the H3 , similar to A3 in bass.

Mids- don't know but i find them to be like the A3 too but not too revealing, tolerable.

Highs- here the Z5 differs from A3, the Z5 highs are silky sweet not splashy like these of A3, the A3 was more revealing in this area sometimes being a bit annoying with the details, this does not happen with Z5, albeit hsving recessed highs they have a clarity wthout fallig in the bright category no hashness.

Soundstage- HUGE for an IEM, BIG as like the MDR-Z7

Nice resolution and separation of instruments esp with orchestral pieces.

But yes they're source dependant, sound bad on my laptop, sound like an XBA-H3 on the cellphone

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #293 of 1,101
Yeah, the smooth treble is what got me interested in the first place. Can't stand hot treble, the Hugo + TH-900 almost killed me and I'm quite sure gave me tinnitus which I'll now likely have to live with forever -- no more "sparkle up top" for me, lol.
Even the less expensive one of these new Sony daps is double the price of the Onkyo, however I expect great things from Sony; will have to try the combo with my own sore ears though.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #294 of 1,101
Yeah, the smooth treble is what got me interested in the first place. Can't stand hot treble, the Hugo + TH-900 almost killed me and I'm quite sure gave me tinnitus which I'll now likely have to live with forever -- no more "sparkle up top" for me, lol.
Even the less expensive one of these new Sony daps is double the price of the Onkyo, however I expect great things from Sony; will have to try the combo with my own sore ears though.

i doubt there will be *that great* sound diff between the two walkmen like the debate XBA-A3 vs XBA-Z5 while tehse two IEMS show a diff but it is mosdtly in sweeter treble from z5 vs excitable treble of A3 and the huger soundstage of Z5

I got the Z5 mainly because the metal construction and i was fearing the worst inSQ but they turned to be  marvel, these have removed my itch for a multi-driver CIEM

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #295 of 1,101

This is where the Sony zx2 shines I don't need excessive loudness like other DAP's or stacks I've used.

The zx2 for me at low volumes and IEM's,has this amazing sound that doesn't need excessive volume.(can't get enough of it)

It's a warm type of sound where the sparkly part seems to appear in a 3d way. I don't need more volume than this now. And have moved away from high volume high power setups, that have been unfortunately damaging my hearing.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #296 of 1,101

I can't believe this is coming back to haunt us again.
deadhorse.gif

Grounding is necessary for various reasons includind safety, as is electromagnetic insulation provided by a metallic cage (which can be the chassis itself, or some wires applied inside of the chassis, which is cheaper and as efficient).
It doesn't have anything to do with the sound since no signal circulates through the chassis, and I challenge anyone to come with a scientific explanation linking chassis and SQ.

With the numerous possibilities to alter sound signature through the chipset, the amp section, and the software layer, the chassis is the last of our worries.

So exactly as I said - there are genuine electrical reasons for grounding the chassis, but whether it has the effects Sony claims it does is another matter.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #298 of 1,101
This is where the Sony zx2 shines I don't need excessive loudness like other DAP's or stacks I've used.

The zx2 for me at low volumes and IEM's,has this amazing sound that doesn't need excessive volume.(can't get enough of it)

It's a warm type of sound where the sparkly part seems to appear in a 3d way. I don't need more volume than this now. And have moved away from high volume high power setups, that have been unfortunately damaging my hearing.

Thanks for he tip, and yeah, 60 dB is plenty for me nowadays, so the comparatively lower power of an EU-capped ZX2 would not be a problem at all; however, I think I want something ... NEW! *evil grin*

Someone just posted in the Onkyo thread that it is a great pairing with the Z5, and the same would probably be true for the 1A. I guess it really makes sense to go with a neutralish source and do your own personal tuning via the transducers. Gives you more leeway in the end as well.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #299 of 1,101
I'm glad they removed Android although I think they did it because they did not upgrade the SOC.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #300 of 1,101
I compared Zx2 vs Dp-x1 and I liked the Zx2 better as I also prefer warm and thick sounding

DP-X1 is an okay sounding player, but if you're playing good FLAC files or DSD, better take a charger with you. The battery on this thing won't last more than 3-5 hours. Maybe it's okay for mp3s. I sent mine back. The seller insisted the battery was fine. Evidently it is only expected to last that long. Also, I do not want android. I'd stick to Sony for sound quality, better build, and much better battery. Just wish I could afford the gold one, but that's way, way out of my reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back