The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #273 of 1,101
The key point being, I can believe it sounds different, but then I cannot believe it is because of material. It means they changed the Eq or some components.

I know what you mean. I'm no engineer and I don't have experience designing such components so honestly I could not comment on that. That said, I do know that some high end hifi equipment actually have a huge copper grounding slab inside. If the chassis is involved in the grounding perhaps this could be an explanation?

Again I'm not claiming to understand it, and I may very well be wrong. But just sharing my experience :)

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #274 of 1,101
copper chassis

baloney
bəˈləʊni/
noun informal

foolish or deceptive talk; nonsense.
    "I don't buy it—it's all a load of baloney"

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #275 of 1,101
I know what you mean. I'm no engineer and I don't have experience designing such components so honestly I could not comment on that. That said, I do know that some high end hifi equipment actually have a huge copper grounding slab inside. If the chassis is involved in the grounding perhaps this could be an explanation?

Again I'm not claiming to understand it, and I may very well be wrong. But just sharing my experience
smily_headphones1.gif

The chassis does in fact act as the ground - that's been the staple of all the flagship Walkman since the ZX1. 

EDIT: There are genuine engineering reasons for having a chassis ground and making it as close to perfect (ie minimal resistance) as possible by choosing the appropriate material. You can read about chassis grounding here. Whether it has the sound altering effects though is a completely different matter. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #277 of 1,101
That's what I'm anxious to get more feedback/impressions on. The copper/gold is pretty but not $3.2k pretty. 

It is not only pretty, but it is the absolute point of engineering from Sony. It gets much better components inside Vs 1A. It is not only the copper and look differences, but Premium components differences. When you think about it, using different components will require different tuning as well. Otherwise how will you know it performances ? When you come to think about it this way, the A and Z are totally different Walkman :D

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #279 of 1,101
The problem with the Copper Walkman is not the price as this is cheaper,way cheaper then AK380 Cu but the weight.
One need to really understand how heavy this is in a small chassis/form.
- Chord Mojo 180 gr
- Chord Hugo 400 gr
- Lotoo Paw Gold 280 gr
- Sony Gold/ Copper Walkman 465 gr
So this will be a issue for many to carry around...but if it sounds very very good many will use it only at home, yes?

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #280 of 1,101
The problem with the Copper Walkman is not the price as this is cheaper,way cheaper then AK380 Cu but the weight.
One need to really understand how heavy this is in a small chassis/form.
- Chord Mojo 180 gr
- Chord Hugo 400 gr
- Lotoo Paw Gold 280 gr
- Sony Gold/ Copper Walkman 465 gr
So this will be a issue for many to carry around...but if it sounds very very good many will use it only at home, yes?

If I bought it, I would carry it around with me, not for running or excersising but definitely a "to go with"

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #281 of 1,101

The chassis does in fact act as the ground - that's been the staple of all the flagship Walkman since the ZX1. 

EDIT: There are genuine engineering reasons for having a chassis ground and making it as close to perfect (ie minimal resistance) as possible by choosing the appropriate material. You can read about chassis grounding here. Whether it has the sound altering effects though is a completely different matter. 

I can't believe this is coming back to haunt us again.
deadhorse.gif

Grounding is necessary for various reasons includind safety, as is electromagnetic insulation provided by a metallic cage (which can be the chassis itself, or some wires applied inside of the chassis, which is cheaper and as efficient).
It doesn't have anything to do with the sound since no signal circulates through the chassis, and I challenge anyone to come with a scientific explanation linking chassis and SQ.

With the numerous possibilities to alter sound signature through the chipset, the amp section, and the software layer, the chassis is the last of our worries.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #282 of 1,101
That's what I'm anxious to get more feedback/impressions on. The copper/gold is pretty but not $3.2k pretty. 
I was talking about Ak380.

It is not only pretty, but it is the absolute point of engineering from Sony. It gets much better components inside Vs 1A. It is not only the copper and look differences, but Premium components differences. When you think about it, using different components will require different tuning as well. Otherwise how will you know it performances ? When you come to think about it this way, the A and Z are totally different Walkman :D
what premium components? Different cables (snake oil) and caps (amping nuance with same power output). Really not a x 3 difference.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #283 of 1,101
I was talking about Ak380.
what premium components? Different cables (snake oil) and caps (amping nuance with same power output). Really not a x 3 difference.

Resistors and capacitors differences should already be requiring different tuning. You would think it is so easy to do just that, until you are engineering your own player or modifying your own player :D.

How about buying an AK380 Copper, and ask an engineer to modify it with new capacitors and resistor + upgrade the internal cables for you. Let's see how much it would cost in labor and return, and most importantly ....sound good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back