The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #259 of 1,101
If the housing material affects SQ, then I will come to work dressed as Napoleon for a month.

The only thing that could change performance is the added caps. I don't believe changing the internal wiring form OCC to kimber cables changes anything.

I am willing to bet that no one could differentiate both in a blind test.

All this to say that minimal SQ difference (if any) + 128g of additional memory = price x 3. I am sorry by after thinking long and hard, it seems pushing it a bit.

You've got Astell&Kern to thank for that:wink::smirk:..

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #261 of 1,101
WOOOOOORLDSTAR

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #263 of 1,101
To be fair, a good comparison would be the ak380 and the copper version. Assuming that both versions are identical internally as AK claims, the difference in sound was not small, the copper was clearly better to my ears even in a blind test. I would not for the life of me use the ak380 as I find it dead and lifeless and poorly layered. The copper on the other hand I would LOVE to have.

Again like I said, I don't know whether the chassis is really the only difference. If it is though, then I believe that the chassis really does have a big impact on the sound. Feel free to disagree with me :)

Trust me, I thought it was ******** until I tried it haha!

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #265 of 1,101
Sep 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #267 of 1,101

No idea. Usually after but it could be different. HIstory says after - rarely has Sony done a simultaneous launch.

Thnaks
deadhorse.gif
 the problem is that i will have to use my smartphone (with no so great DAC) as my primary DAP (sold my ZX100 so i am dapless) adnw ell my XBA-Z5 were downgraded sonically and i can feel them struggly to be resolving, they try to push their best but mr. phone limits them.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #268 of 1,101
To be fair, a good comparison would be the ak380 and the copper version. Assuming that both versions are identical internally as AK claims, the difference in sound was not small, the copper was clearly better to my ears even in a blind test. I would not for the life of me use the ak380 as I find it dead and lifeless and poorly layered. The copper on the other hand I would LOVE to have.

Again like I said, I don't know whether the chassis is really the only difference. If it is though, then I believe that the chassis really does have a big impact on the sound. Feel free to disagree with me :)

Trust me, I thought it was ******** until I tried it haha!
I have several people, including myself hearing no / limited difference. And even several stores telling me there is no difference. But you know, it's all about what you hear.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #269 of 1,101
I have several people, including myself hearing no / limited difference. And even several stores telling me there is no difference. But you know, it's all about what you hear.

Agree I had the Oppo HA-2 and a NW-A17 and XBA-A3 IEM, never Heard a difference between the HA-2 and the sony walkman A17, just slightly cleaner signal when using the walkman LO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back