The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #301 of 1,101
  I'm glad they removed Android although I think they did it because they did not upgrade the SOC.

I really doubt this, since if they didn't upgrade the CPU/SoC they obviously could've gone either way (ZX100 is their own OS, while ZX1/2 is Android) to save time, money and effort.  And as the S-Master HX chip is completely new they'd have to do the control/interfacing from scratch anyway so neither would've been particularly easy/less work. Not to mention they've already said the OS is new - which you can see as the touch interface is completely new (ZX100 doesn't do touch), the UI was done from the ground up, the new DSEE effects, 10 band equalizer etc.  

It's seems way more like a deliberate choice on their part and they actually decided not going Android was better.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #302 of 1,101

I really doubt this, since if they didn't upgrade the CPU/SoC they obviously could've gone either way (ZX100 is their own OS, while ZX1/2 is Android) to save time, money and effort.  And as the S-Master HX chip is completely new they'd have to do the control/interfacing from scratch anyway so neither would've been particularly easy/less work. Not to mention they've already said the OS is new - which you can see as the touch interface is completely new (ZX100 doesn't do touch), the UI was done from the ground up, the new DSEE effects, 10 band equalizer etc.  

It's seems way more like a deliberate choice on their part and they actually decided not going Android was better.

From what I've read very lately(today) is that Android is being used on both high end players although with a new upfront interface.
Confirmed by a fellow forum member asking a Sony rep at the Berlin show.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #303 of 1,101

From what I've read very lately(today) is that Android is being used on both high end players although with a new upfront interface.

I'm going out on a limb and say they are wrong. The Japanese official sites and numerous interviews done with key people involved in the project already confirmed that it is NOT Android but Sony's own OS.  I'd trust the Japanese sources more than random boots on the ground which are usually just marketing people stuck with a last minute "hey we've got a booth you go man it okay?" order (been there myself).

Not the first time that Western reps don't know what they are talking about - like last time when I had a debate regarding AK70 having optical out which some swears that the US AK branch and PR material said it has but everywhere else says it doesn't.

EDIT: http://www.phileweb.com/interview/article/201609/02/393_3.html
Said interview.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #304 of 1,101

Hi @jude,
Do you mind telling me how's the pairing of wm1z with mh334? Are they a good match?

Thank you!

To my ears, yes, a very nice match. Not clinical, a touch more smoothness up top than the AK380--still very precise sounding, so still very much the MH334 Custom.

Love the design except for the too many side buttons! Also waiting this to be compared to LPG..

Yes, the side buttons take a little getting used to, but the volume-up button and play/pause button have very prominent bumps on them, which makes using the controls without looking rather intuitive after some time with the player. Also, both volume buttons and the play/pause buttons are larger, which also helps.

Some may find using the player in the left hand more secure, as you can easily use the fingers to control the player with a minimal shifting of grip. I use the player mostly in my right hand, which means using my right thumb to slide up and down the right side of the player to press the various buttons. However, the NW-WM1Z is plenty beefy enough to make this right-hand control easy and secure enough (though not as ultimately secure as left-hand controlling the new Walkman).

I'm going out on a limb and say they are wrong. The Japanese official sites and numerous interviews done with key people involved in the project already confirmed that it is NOT Android but Sony's own OS.  I'd trust the Japanese sources more than random boots on the ground which are usually just marketing people stuck with a last minute "hey we've got a booth you go man it okay?" order (been there myself).

Not the first time that Western reps don't know what they are talking about - like last time when I had a debate regarding AK70 having optical out which some swears that the US AK branch and PR material said it has but everywhere else says it doesn't.

Said interview.

I can't say for certain if the NW-WM1Z is running Android or not. I'll ask.

For now, here's an observation: When I plug the NW-WM1Z's cable into my Mac, it does not bring up Android File Transfer on the Mac. Instead, both the NW-WM1Z's internal storage and my 200GB microSD card show up as two drives in Finder. I'm trying to think of any other known Android player we have here that does that, but (off the top of my head) I can't think of one at the moment.

I'm sorry I haven't said more about this player yet, but we've been swamped with CanJam @ RMAF organizing and planning. As much as I've been using it, though, there's a lot to say about it. I'll post soon with some quick minuses and pluses first impressions.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #305 of 1,101

Said interview.

Phileweb is about as reputable as it gets, and since the engineers themselves say it's the SOny OS that is updated, I'd believe them vs. some sales person on a convention floor. In a weird way, I think the ZX100 is the bridge/experiment that proved the Sony OS would work for the more expensive Walkman models. Going back to the Z10x0, it's been Android in some form or another for the higher end ones. I also think that even though Sony skinned Android, the reality is the product lifecycle on these things doesn't allow Sony to embrace the latest and greatest. So things like security patches to Android are not their top concern. Another good example of this is the Panasonic DMC-CM1 camera. Going back to a Sony OS makes sense as it's closed and not tied to someone else.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #306 of 1,101

Phileweb is about as reputable as it gets, and since the engineers themselves say it's the SOny OS that is updated, I'd believe them vs. some sales person on a convention floor. In a weird way, I think the ZX100 is the bridge/experiment that proved the Sony OS would work for the more expensive Walkman models. Going back to the Z10x0, it's been Android in some form or another for the higher end ones. I also think that even though Sony skinned Android, the reality is the product lifecycle on these things doesn't allow Sony to embrace the latest and greatest. So things like security patches to Android are not their top concern. Another good example of this is the Panasonic DMC-CM1 camera. Going back to a Sony OS makes sense as it's closed and not tied to someone else.

Impress Watch - also very reputable, says it's Sony's own OS too:
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1016917.html

Big Japanese websites are very quick and thorough when it comes to correcting mistakes, so yeah, I'm trusting them over PR boots on the floor.

Also in the Phileweb interview the developers had cited many reasons for not going Android - as you mentioned already not being tied to Google's schedule is actually a huge plus (let's just hope Sony makes good on actually updating the thing frequently), Sony had feedback from users saying they found the sluggish performance of Android a turnoff, and that the ability of multi-task/app being unnecessarily, all swinging the final decision to have Sony making their own OS instead.  Plus running Android w/ Play Store actually requires certification and paying licensing fees to Google, which is a chunk of money/time/effort that's probably not really worth it for a DAP.  

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #308 of 1,101
I'll reserve judgment until I've heard it. But ,as someone pointed out earlier, I'm not shelling out that kind of money for a product that will only work as long as the battery is still working. Non user replaceable battery is a deal breaker. But I guess Sony want you to keep buying their new models.
Very excited about the 1A though.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #309 of 1,101
I'll reserve judgment until I've heard it. But ,as someone pointed out earlier, I'm not shelling out that kind of money for a product that will only work as long as the battery is still working. Non user replaceable battery is a deal breaker. But I guess Sony want you to keep buying their new models.
Very excited about the 1A though.

Honestly, what is your longest time and DAP that you keep until now ? I am sure these will last for more than 5 years, and even so.....are you sure you won't upgrade ?

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #310 of 1,101
Honestly, what is your longest time and DAP that you keep until now ? I am sure these will last for more than 5 years, and even so.....are you sure you won't upgrade ?
the Z is serious $. I'd look at it like a classic Ferrari and want it to last a lifetime. ...seriously. That kind of money could buy a very high quality desktop component, which you could expect to last for 20 years.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #311 of 1,101
the Z is serious $. I'd look at it like a classic Ferrari and want it to last a lifetime. ...seriously. That kind of money could buy a very high quality desktop component, which you could expect to last for 20 years.

Yes, but what system will you keep for 20 years ? Only a few with legendary status are being kept and collected....

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #313 of 1,101

I would guess Sony will discontinue the legendary Z in about 1-2 years, at which time they'll no longer support warranty repair or replace the battery (like they have in the past with all their Walkmans) as they get replaced by newer models.

At this time they politely tell you: "we don't give a crap about that Walkman Sir, its life cycle has ended and no longer supported" then offer you a discount to upgrade to their latest model Walkman or completely replace your unit with a newer model if you're 'still' under warranty. 
smile.gif

Enjoy those 20 years. 
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #314 of 1,101
Since DAPs are still evolving and are computer based, there won't be a legendary status on them for awhile if ever.

Agree, I doubt many (if any) daps will achieve legendary status anyways. Most seem to be flavor or colors of the month. Good - no doubt. Legendary - eh.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #315 of 1,101
I remember in the Z1050 Walkman days after a few years there were quite a few people turning up looking for some form of replacement battery because they'd been told (read my above post) from Sony when willing to pay for their battery to be replaced. It was quite sad because (myself included) had a wonderful still functional piece of electronic equipment with a tired battery.

But as a shimmer of light these two new Walkmans being released break new ground on pricing far as any past Walkmans have eve been. It will be interesting how Sony plan to handle thier product lifespan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back